1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedometer jumping

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedometer jumping

My speedo started messin up the other day. Sometimes it doesn't work at all and sometimes it just bounces around everywhere between 0 and 100 mph. And sometimes it works perfectly. I've checked everything on the tranny as far as tightness and everything is plugged in. Any ideas? Should I just buy the sender and see if that fixes it? Has anybody else ever had this problem?
Thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 01:05 PM

is it the cable style?

if it is the square end could be rounding or stuck too far in. i had that problem with my truck and i had to shim it to get the end back where it belonged. hope this helps
Old 04-26-2006, 02:26 PM

If your truck has the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) like my '93, instead of a cable drive, then that's likley the problem. When it finally fails, it won't allow overdrive tranmissions to shift into O/D.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 90firstgen
My speedo started messin up the other day. Sometimes it doesn't work at all and sometimes it just bounces around everywhere between 0 and 100 mph. And sometimes it works perfectly. I've checked everything on the tranny as far as tightness and everything is plugged in. Any ideas? Should I just buy the sender and see if that fixes it? Has anybody else ever had this problem?
Thanks
My 90 does the same thing when it's wet out. Usually when it's a wet snow, never does it when it dry or just a little wet out. After I've driven it for a while and whatever is wrong dries out it stops, unless the roads really wet then it will continue. When you figure it out, will you let me know, so I can fix mine...
Old 04-26-2006, 08:39 PM
REALLY old dog

Talking

1992 350 dulie auto 2w
Its your speed senser just replaced mine after 2 yrs of hell trying to figure out what was wrong, OD will drop out on you your speedomoter will jump all 0ver then smoth out so you think its correct<WRONG < i THINK IT COST ME $36.00 AT ACTION AUTO,IT TOOK 5 MIN IN THEIR PARKING LOT AND IT WAS ALL FIXED. do it NOW AND SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF PROBLEMS , AND HEADACHES.
CLAUDE
Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 PM

mine became round so being a sparky i took some electric tape put it around the shaft and jamb it in good as new and freeeeee
Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong; but, the 90 model with Getrag should be cable driven.

My guess is that the cable is binding in the cable housing, winding up, then springing loose.

This will make the speedometer quit, then bounce way high, then work fine, etc., etc.

If you let it go long enough, it will destroy the speedometer gauge.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:37 AM

I guess I should clarify that mine does not jump past the current speed. I will just stay at zero or jump in between dead zero and the current speed.

My problem does sound a little differnt than 90firstgen's.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 PM

Ok, I'll check the cable and see if its binding. Thanks a bundle
Old 04-27-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
To check the cable, unscrew it at the adapter(transmission end), and chuck a drill to the end of the cable.

Put the drill in reverse(un-drill) and, with someone in the cab watching, slowly apply the drill; it won't have to turn very fast.

Slowly fluctuate speeds through several cycles and observe how steady the needle is.

Speedometer problems are not easy to diagnose.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:04 PM

If you pull the cable off at the back of the speedometer you can pull the cable out og the housing... Use some white lithium grease on it as you shove it back in. Also check for any loose strands on the cable that may be binding up the cable.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:36 PM

I sure hope that you do NOT have the same problem I had when my speedo started getting creative. I had snapped off the end of the output shaft of my getrag.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:12 PM

Speedometer Jumping

I am ressurecting this thread in hopes to get all ideas including any new ones. My speedo has been exhibiting the jumping off and on for a few years.

The truck is a manual (Getrag 360), year is early 91 (non-intercooled). The speedo acted up on out trip to Yellowstone this past weekend (abt 400mi. one way). On the way home the speedo started fluctuating between 0 and the actual speed.

From earlier posts I gathered

1. Check the cable for binding.
a. pull from trans, run drill slow in reverse.
b. relube the cable - undo from speedo and apply lithium grease
2. Check the cable end where it plugs into the trans for rounded corners etc.

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:21 PM

mine was doing something similar, although mine is electronic, not cable driven. the nut that held it into the trans had loosened up and i'm figuring that the input to the gear box was barely making contact and therefore only working most of the time.

i'm sure that after messing with yours as much as you have you would have noticed it being loose, but did you also confirm that it goes into the trans and the speedo far enough to engage both units?
Old 07-16-2006, 11:29 PM

Thanks imabnormal,

I will be checking that this week. My truck is used mostly weekends for general puttering and also for trips - so I will look at it tomorrow evening after work. I will check the nuts, bolts, etc. for tightness.

Rich

Quick Reply: Speedometer jumping