1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Something is missing

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 11:04 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Re:Something is missing

Putting the spring on top of the AFC diaphragm defeats the AFC, but I don't see how it can do any damage other than create excessive smoke which isn't good for the engine but shouldn't cause catastrophic failure of anything.

What kind of damage do you expect to see from running with the AFC diaphragm depressed all of the time, Bob?
Old 10-02-2003, 11:36 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said he already had one spring break (governor?).
Would the AFC spring possibly get damaged from staying compressed, or getting too compressed?
Old 10-02-2003, 11:44 AM

[quote author=Redleg link=board=9;threadid=20187;start=15#msg191875 date=1065112560]
He said he already had one spring break (governor?).
Would the AFC spring possibly get damaged from staying compressed, or getting too compressed?
[/quote]
The spring in question was inside of the pump far away from the other spring in question . The pump guy just said it wore and broke and was kind of common
DM01
Old 10-02-2003, 11:46 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Yeah, the governor spring is in the housing underthe afc area. Bushy Bob has info on an upgrade for this, or it may be in the FAQ. I haven't checked there lately.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Well we all know how things can go from wrong to nasty when we least expect it right......

If you run the spring on top of the AFC you are now forcing the AFC diaphram down all the way pretty much.
At this point if there is even the slightest error in calculation or modification on the AFC washer thickness or substitution then you have a cone that could be too far down. The guide pin will come out and contact or get hung up on the area above the "throat" of the cone. You may have fuel start leaking into the AFC housing due to guide pin travel being too much, allowing fuel from the supply side into the top part of the housing.
Your mileage and smoke will be nasty and you'll have no way to control it. That is why we have the AFC/spring/diaphram etc components in place.
You can get humungous amounts of smoke without going this route to do it...
Keep in mind that large amounts of smoke begins to contaminate your engine oil with soot particulates too. I know, I like to smoke out the odd H.O.B. boom box boys at times too. (H.O.B.= "hats on backwards : )
In addition you are running the pump at "rich" setting pretty much contiuously too.... and whatever other things I've missed too..... but, hey, that's what experimenting is all about right..... ;D

Pastor Bob.