1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

So let's get down to buisness

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let's get down to buisness

Ok so my new pump is on and honestly i'm still not impressed with the performance.I gave it alot more timing this time pretty much touching the head i had read that to much timing with big injector's will cause to soon of fuel delivery and the engine has a hard time getting to TDC to fire fuel properly.True or false.I have the pump turned up,denny-t pin,366 spring,smoke screw untouched,afc turn to top of thread's fuel screw bottomed out(can't make it runaway) and timming to the head,hx40/16cm new bank's innercooller and new boot's and tube's still can't break the 20lbs mark and it's nothing spectacular in the performance of it.I drove a 1993 completely stock untouched ctd 4x4 today and it would waste my truck.I know i have read some of your guy's mods you have done and i'm starting to question if the performance is as good as some of you claim.I realize it's not a race truck but i mean to have a stock one feel way better than mine can't be possible.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fast59
Ok so my new pump is on and honestly i'm still not impressed with the performance.I gave it alot more timing this time pretty much touching the head i had read that to much timing with big injector's will cause to soon of fuel delivery and the engine has a hard time getting to TDC to fire fuel properly.True or false.I have the pump turned up,denny-t pin,366 spring,smoke screw untouched,afc turn to top of thread's fuel screw bottomed out(can't make it runaway) and timming to the head,hx40/16cm new bank's innercooller and new boot's and tube's still can't break the 20lbs mark and it's nothing spectacular in the performance of it.I drove a 1993 completely stock untouched ctd 4x4 today and it would waste my truck.I know i have read some of your guy's mods you have done and i'm starting to question if the performance is as good as some of you claim.I realize it's not a race truck but i mean to have a stock one feel way better than mine can't be possible.
What tranny do you have?

Have you pulled the tamper collar off the power screw?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM

may be a silly question, but is the wastegate on your hx40 stock? I seem to remember hx40's wastegating in the 18-22 ish range.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 PM

You are running 37's on 3:55 gears for one thing. And if you have an auto with the stock converter, that would really be a problem.

What are you running for a lift pump?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Something is definitely out of whack. I second the wastegate setting on the 40--something to look into. Also agree with the power screw tamper collar...gonna be hard to light a big turbo with semi-stock fueling. Blowing any smoke at full boost? Lift pump in good shape?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift pump. Not enough fuel to turn those 37's...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 PM

Yes the fuel screw is bottomed out wont go any farther and also wont run away either my last pump would.I thought about the waste gate its wired shut just to be sure,truck has a piston pump have had clear hose to make sure of no air to.truck will smoke like a frieght train if i step on it to hard off the line and almost has a continuos trail of smoke from pipe at in town cruising speed.Have a gorend convertor 2 years old and trans definitly doesnt slip.I realize gear ratio and tire size play a roll but this truck almost felt better with original injectors small turbo and pump not turned up this much.I know this is a weird thing and i lose sleep over it wondering what the hell is going on
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

How tight it the converter? Dave has a few different ones. A tight converter with 37's is gunna bog some with a hx 40 on it. What rpm are you at cruising around? SMKHZRD bought the really tight $9xx goerend converter and it bogged a bit with stock tires and a hybrid turbo. But once it lit it pulled good. Check your afc to make sure its working properly. I would back the timing off a bit to see if it helps. All the way to the head is different from truck to truck. It could be too much considering the good converter and tall tires. New pump, ddp4's and a hx40 should rip pretty good. It really sounds like an air problem. I also once saw a turbo that the wastegate puck came off the lever and although it was wired shut, with no puck it was completely open. Made about 10 psi of boost. When was the last time you changed the air filter and fuel filter? A buddy with a common rail lost 15psi with a dirty air filter.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 PM

Throttle lever correctly indexed on your injector pump?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bogurt
Throttle lever correctly indexed on your injector pump?
exactly what i was thinking!!

is you high idle / throttle stop screw backed out??
Old 05-13-2010, 01:06 AM

fuel filter is new and air filter is just been cleaned also.I never thought about throttle index i'll check that outhigh idle screw is backed out all the way and i am getting full throttle.I did check the waste gate plug i thought of that awhile ago.I'm gonna back off the timing abit and see if that help's i have read that to much can be a bad thing for power loss.I would have to say afc is working due to smoke and the grease on the pin shows it is traveling full distance on the pin.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:10 AM

Keran's $0.02

Fast59, you seem to have all your bases covered which is both good and bad! Good 'cause you know what you're talking about, bad 'cause you still have a problem. The one thing that stuck out to me in your first post was you said the AFC starwheel was at the top of the threads. Do you mean you have no threads showing when you look down at it? The AFC, when modding it, should have most/all the threads showing; i.e. 'bottoming it out' or threading it CW as far down as you can go.
Also, cleaning your air filter, unless it's a K&N or other wet filter, is a waste of time. You'll never get all the small particles out, and eventually it'll look clean even though it's plugged solid with 5 micron silicates, thus restricting flow.
Is there such a thing as too much timing? Yep, there sure is. As SOOT4BRAINS said, try backing it off a half inch, (or whatever) and see what happens. Make it a dramatic movement, not just a smidgen, say around 3/8" or 1/2" just to see what happens. You may not end up burning all that fuel, but you're not doing that now anyway, and I think you'll find you have more crank throw leverage, thus more usable power. Fine tune from there.
Good luck!!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 AM

With the exception of the HX40 your setup is not that far off mine. I'm running a PDRHX35 and Tim Worlines intakes which let my truck breath too much. I could easily hit 38 PSI of boost now it's down to 34 PSI. I know I need move more air. With 0nly 20 lbs of boost something is not right. You might want to pressure test all your connections from the turbo outlet to the intake inlet just to make sure they are not leaking. My stock one were but no leaks with new boots.

Bob
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 AM

I've found that with the starwheel turned all the way up the pin cannot drop all the way. The spring binds before you get full travel.
Try turning the starwheel down so that ~ 2 threads show. You should see some improvement.
Then tune from there.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM

The filter is a afe washable,i have pressured up the system with air and soap tested everything ang have no leak's.The reason the star wheel is up that far is when i had it down with lots of threads showing it smoked like a freight train at just above idle and just leaving an intersection would be unbelievable i turned it up that high recommended by mark ar peirs diesel.

Quick Reply: So let's get down to buisness