1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

sitting 4 months...old oil issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sitting 4 months...old oil issues

My truck has been put up for about four months--washed, waxed, full tank of fuel with additive, and trickle charger. I didn't change the oil before parking, and I'm wondering why it really needs to be changed BEFORE storage. it seems like it would all just drain down into the pan and not cause acid/wear issues--or does it bathe the crank all the time? should I change my ways? anyhow, it's time to crank her up for spring!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:28 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
No more than four months I wouldn't panic, maybe dump in a half-gallon of LUCAS before running it too much.

In fact, LUCAS is highly recommended for engines that have long periods of dis-use, such as seasonal equipment.

On many farms, numerous engines may not get started for ten months, and then get the whiz ran out of them for sixty days, with no more than maybe a peek at the dipstick.

Condensation, caused by high humidity, such as Kentucky-like climates are the biggest concern.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If the oil wasn't way overdue for a change before you parked the truck, no harm will be done. I'd change it before parking next year, though. That way you can just fire it up in spring and run it until it's due for the next oil change mileage wise.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 AM

As milage accumulates on oil, acids and water can sometimes build. Allowing acid enhanced oil to stay on bearings, can cause acid etching or worse on bearings and other components. JMO.... I suggest changing oil before shut down like another reply. Let it run a few minutes to wash any remaining oil into pan.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:25 PM

If I were leaving one for a LONG time, I would dis-able it such that it couldn't be cranked/started, and pour it FULL of bargain-barn oil, or better yet, hydraulic fluid; I mean FULL until it is pouring out the dipstick-tube.

This would leave no "water-line" for erosion to occur.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:14 PM

thanks for the tips!--bearkiller, what lucas product do you mean? oil stabilizer? I hear nothing but negatives about it--but I must admit I used it in my other dodge truck, a gasser 318 with 250 K, and it FIXED the oil burning--completely!

anyhow, I'm going to warm it up real good and change the oil immediately--it only had 3000 miles when parked.

not seeing too many 1st gens here in upstate NY--best looking trucks ever!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by kendaliaguy
thanks for the tips!--bearkiller, what lucas product do you mean? oil stabilizer?

This stuff here :

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

I have read just about as many for, as against, this stuff.

The stingiest man alive swears by it, and has for years.

He drives old antique cab-over semi-trucks that should have been in the bone-yard years ago.

He adds a gallon at every change.

I started using it on his recommendation.