1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ramcharger Re-Power (Project Cummcharger)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokemS
hey can i have one of those i/c boots i need one
You still haven't bought a boot yet???
Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM
The 'Ford does not own Cummins' enforcer.

nope still got the tractor supply special on
Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm making a rubber gasket to sandwich in between the two pieces.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 AM

could use an older tank. and use stock sending unit.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:02 AM

yeah, i could do a lot of things, couldn't i.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:56 PM

Well i haven't updated in awhile, and this isn't much of an up-date post.

I will be more detailed once i'm cleaned up and have more time to type.

So any who, i finished the 1/2" fuel system and got the cummins started. I had to steal the starter from my other truck... so i'm going to go back out and stick it back in, work 600 tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can buy new starter off ebay for like $110
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM

Well i did some testing and cleaning and found that even though the starter looks horrible, and has a chunk missing where the drain is, it still works great.

Those e-bay starters are made in china, unless u look carefully for a specific guy.

As for a 10c update

I finished the simple systems on the truck. The cooling system is re-assembled and has no leaks, i'm glad because i took a shot in the dark on the rad.

I ran all aluminum fuel lines to a piston pump, and need 1 more fitting to goto fuel filter.

Have the front brake hoses installed and i'm waiting for the right hose to come in for the rear axle.
I also need to find the vent tube bolt... mine were MIA

All thats left is trans cooling system, gauge wiring and exhaust, but who needs that??!
I plan on borrowing an easy-out to try and remove broken off brass fitting on side of trans. Its the rear port(i think its the return??) After talking to a few people, we have a pretty good idea that the trans needs flow in and out to function, so i haven't let it run for more than 15 seconds and i wasted a few quarts of trans and diesel fuel. (need to plumb return line) So the trans is 100% clean and flushed now ;-)

For the wiring i'm sure i'll have a few questions here and there but its pretty straight forward, most sensors only work 1 way and even though the wires are different colors the general idea of how to hook them up looks the same.

One thing i noticed on the newer tank is that out of the 4 wires only 3 are hooked up and it looks like u only need 2 for the fuel level to work, can anybody confirm this??

I promise to get some videos so you can look and listen to the motor and tell me what you think about how it sounds.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 AM

You ran all aluminum line from the fuel tank to the lp? Is it hard line? I like that idea. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I bougth a starter off ebay for my 47rh swap for $ 125 it dint sat on the box or on the stater where it was made in the guys ad on ebay sayed it way a denso starter. but for the price its got to be a china made. at the time next cheapest one was about 125 more a reman its been in about 8 mounths now ken
Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Fury, i ran rubber to the frame, then pushed that onto the aluminum fuel line with a hose-barb end made up. Went to where the fuel tank would have been and placed a union there and bent up the forward line and joined them together. I would suggest finding a 1/2" small radius pipe bender, as to not kink the fuel line. Its soft but sturdy stuff, i'm glad i ran it.

Ok so i went out and finished up a few things, i have 2 problems right now. I don't have power to the "start" wire, i hooked up my push button again. Then the starter made a horrible CLUNK sound and it hasn't worked right since, i know i'm in need of one now. I think i may have finished off the housing.

Ken i can get a re-man. starter for $120 all day long, not sure of brand but haven't had problems with other starters i bought from the local guys. i hate having to wait 2 weeks for something i need NOW hah. Then my budget reminds me i may have to wait after all.

For the trans i was able to back out the remaining piece of brass that broke off in the trans. I got new 1/4npt to 3/8 npt adapters and a T fitting for a temp gauge. I forget if the front or rear line is the feed/return. IF somebody could remind me i'd appreciate it.

After i managed to start the truck today, full of all new fluids, i forgot the return line isn't hooked up yet... so i think i have about 2qts of diesel under the truck now... It idles soo low, and has revvs up quick with a burp of the fuel lever.

I also received my trans and fuel cables in the mail, the look like they were just made yesterday.

Anything else you might want to throw at me, please go ahead.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 AM

Where did you buy the aluminum line from? I may replace the rubber fuel line I have ran now.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:10 PM

good question, i think i bought it on flea-bay, it was "aluminum fuel line" i searches, i also got a bunch of sleeve/nut setups and a lot of different size connectors that turned out to be invaluable!! You need a special flaring tool for the -an fittings(37*), i used the regular SAE(45*) style flaring kit and since its aluminum it crushed down to the angle it needs to be. The double flare is the important step to keep the lines from splitting too quickly down the road.

I looked some more, i have a business card in the RC i can message u later with the seller i bought from, if u'd like.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM

sorry double post
Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 PM

This is the sickest Ramcharger ever.....cummins powered....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uEbo...eature=related

Quick Reply: Ramcharger Re-Power (Project Cummcharger)