1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

pump going south again??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pump going south again??

I sure dont know what going on here but everything is all happening at once!!! about every other start up i will get a chug and she will just smoke like a train!! white smoke not black like normal!! u give her fuel and she will snap and pop and about shake u right out of the truck!! put in gear drive off like nothing happend! get to the first stop sign or light can tell it doesnt sound right at all and it sounds like its missing when u take off get up to speed like nothing is going on!! sounds and feals just like when the pump went out last time but the first pump lasted 250,000miles plus this one is only like 15-25k miles!!! i was coiming home and i stomped on it to c if it was blowing white smoke still or black well it was black allright!! ;D but then a loud pop noise from the turbo side of engine! and now it sounds like i have no doors on!! sucking air like crazy i dont know what this is about was never this loud before!! and my temp has changed to alot cooler! i dont know what it is anybody have any suggestions? Andy
Old 04-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:pump going south again??

A loud pop noise? Hmm have you checked your intercooler boot connections? One of the boots could possibly been loose and the higher boost psi during acceleration finally made it come off. Also check for any cracks or tears in the boots. You might also crack one fuel line at the injector and start the truck, see if you are getting any air bubbles. Thats where I would start first.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:37 PM

ya that is what i thought to it was one of the boots that blew off or blew a hole in one but i have checked and double check and i dont c anything wrong with them!! sounds like there is no firewall there on that side of the truck just letting all the air in!! im going to go take a look again!
Old 04-22-2003, 07:48 PM

just got back in i found nothing i dont know what happen but its really loud sucking sound! i still dont know y it is running like crap "chuggin and white smoke with alot of shaking everyother start up" could the injectors being bad since i have about 300,000miles? i got a new fuel filter today going to try that out tommorow c if that helps! gosh i sure hope its not the pump again i cant afford 1,600$!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Muted User

I have seen rebuilts online for under $400.<br> -Jim-
Old 04-22-2003, 09:40 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

My guess would be you blew your head gasket. Check the over flow container for oil. It doesn't allways fill with oil so also check your rad. If its down or oil in it = bad news. Also check your exhaust pipe for steam or water droplets.<br><br>Hope I'm wrong. <br><br>mark
Old 04-23-2003, 12:52 AM

I concur with Mark. It sounds like you blew the head gasket. If you don't have a pressure tester drive it to a radiator shop and have them check it while it's hot. But be warned, this doesn't always work because sometimes it will blow out without merging with a coolant passage.<br> If this is the case, try squirting it with soapy water around the head gasket while it's warming up. Be mindfull of the exhaust manifold with cold water though. If it's leaking it will blow bubbles. (bubbles sure leads a good life)<br> Good luck<br><br> Dave
Old 04-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

ya... for what it's worth, I'm gonna line up with mark and dave on this one...... geezz I sure hope we're all wrong...<br><br>bob.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:33 AM

well i figured out 2 of the 3 things thats wrong the loud sucking noise is that one of the clamps came off one of the intercooler boots which u said and i looked 3 or 4 times and pulled on them twice and felt tight guess i was wrong since it fell off! thats fixed! and leaking oil is between the power steering pump and vacuum pump and im in the process of ordering a seal kit! now about running like crap! ur saying a head gasket a? well it doesnt get hot never ever has! and i dont have any fuild in the blow bye container and its totally clean all the way around the head. well im going to go out and look somemore!
Old 04-23-2003, 05:02 PM

well i looked again on the head and there is alittle bit of oil on the back side of the head by the fire wall! it doesnt look fresh! looks like it has 300,000 miles! i have been driving the last week and it hasnt gotten hot and there no fluid in the blow by at all! it sounds like its missing! or not getting enough fuel! it just feels and sounds exactly like the pump is going out just like before!
Old 04-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

If it helps, I've had the oil stain at the rear of the head myself... It turned out to be a back rocker gasket, right at the back of #6 cyl.<br>New gasket, no more leak(s)<br><br>Bob.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:48 PM

TURBO??????????
Old 04-24-2003, 10:12 PM

ya i dont know! would the turbo b bad? i have no clue thats why i was trying to get some feed back! its just getting worse and worse everyday! doesnt sound right and is deffently not as loud as normal! :'(
Old 04-25-2003, 01:15 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I think you need to go back and look at Monty's suggestion about air in the fuel system. That would explain your symptoms, and I doubt that your pump has gone bad after 15k, and an injector would probably be more consistent . . .<br><br>Good Luck
Old 04-25-2003, 08:25 PM

ok im going to try that after i get back tommorow afternoon! so all i have to due is crack the line a little then start it and check for air bubbles? and then what should i do if there is?

Quick Reply: pump going south again??