1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Power Window Failed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Window Failed

My drivers side window went down, not up yesterday. Today I pulled the panel and found a rusted metal piece laying on the door bottom that may have been attached to the window bottom surface, a piece about two feet long with channels for two of the rubber wheels on the lift bars. Question: was it part of the window, and needing a new window, or a separate item that can be bought and fixed to the original window bottom? The stickies didn't show that part of the window. My switches and motor are fine, but I'll service the motor gear case while I'm at it, thanks to Jim Lane's hole saw tip in the sticky.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
sounds to me like that channel is part of the regulator.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM

...yes it would be very good if this had enough metal left to stick onto the window bottom and limit the travel of the two bottom rubber wheels. I managed to get the window up by CAREFULLY setting the window bottom on the bottom wheels and powering it up a few inches at a time. Didn't wanna mash my fingers in the process. This will do until my weather stripping kit arrives and I really get into it. I may be able to take the window out and JB Weld the shrapnel onto the window bottom. I'd prefer some new metal down there though since what with the weight of the window and stresses imposed by the lift mechanism things a hack job could be pretty unreliable.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Hint: the window is convex side up! My weather stripping kit arrived so I got at the door reassembly today and guess what? My silicone "channel reattachment" was backwards! Definitely my type of error: get caught up in getting details perfect and blow the big picture. Not a huge job to correct, and the power of the attachment was impressive when I had to pull it apart. The hack job might work. I used black silicone for easier viewing, and it fills and sticks like crazy. For sound deadening I didn't have carpet underlay, but did have some left-over industrial carpeting so trimmed it similar to Jim Lane's method inside the door panel, and since the glass was out I put a layer inside the outer skin as well. Anything to quieten'er down. Reassembly postponed to tomorrow, ....
Attached Thumbnails Power Window Failed-channelwrongway7.jpg  
Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
you learn from your mistakes. believe me, i know too! the carpet underlay really helps a lot. new window and doors seals will quiet things down too. i did the carpet underlay on my door panels a few months ago and did my window and door seals almost 2 weeks ago. worth the money and time! althought i blew the head gasket the weekend after i had the seals installed. so, i don't drive it enough to notice much of a difference lol