1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

power and economy

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power and economy

Ive been asked alot how I am going to set up my truck as far as what do I want it to be able to do, my questions to those of you with lots of knowledge stored up is can a truck be set up to have loads of power if you get on it hard, but can cruise at 60 with 20plus mpg? I am looking for options that will increase my power such as injectors, turbo (think we got the exhaust figured), pump tweaking, but these options that I am looking for must not hurt my economy if im just cruising.....Is this possible? I have the money and time to work on my truck but its ot simple being new to the cummins to figure out what is proven as the best methods. All advice given will be carefully considered thanks guys.

So sum it up what turbo, injectors,fuelpump mods intake and such will make the most diffrence and still not ruin my truck for good milage? (or other ideas not involving driving a geo)
Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 PM

Ps spent $1200 today on all new guages to watch everything from dakota digital to help me out.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump your timing 1/8 inch. Dynomite diesel performance injectors seem to help fuel mileage. any bigger turbo such as and HTT will help because youll be pushin more air. And a better air intake set up (Cool tubez or somethin custom)....read the "stickies" at the top of the 1st gen thread list to find out how to do all of this. just my $.02, Brandon
Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 PM

upgrade my turbo or replace? , I am working on a water to air intercoler and custom intake tube, but this is a bit depended on what I do with the turbo, im going to give gillett a call in the AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:24 AM

amazing 67 people have peeked in an only one reply, is my question hard or stupid?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 AM

Unless you go with stupid big injectors your right foot is going to be your biggest mileage contributor. I have PODs and 4.10 gears and with conservative pump settings and reasonable driving style get around 19.5 empty on the road. Still gets with the program and can fog out the road if I want.

I think that bringing the smoke screw out and bringing the star wheel up help economy by cutting down on early fueling. Lots of fuel at low RPM and low boost makes heat and smoke but doesn't move the truck any faster.

Final gearing also has a lot to say about mileage. If you're not towing, the higher the better. For auto trans guys an aftermarket toque converter will also help.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
From what I've been reading in the last couple of months that I've been here is that a timing bump, fuel pin, bigger injectors, are all fairly useless without better breathing (BHAF, 4" exhaust, turbo mods, etc.). The combination of those things will give you more power when you want it, but won't neccessarily hurt and may actually improve your mileage, but that all depends on how hard you mash the skinny pedal.

I got 19 - 20 MPG on a 2000 mile road trip before I started modifying my truck. I've done the BHAF, better exhaust (gonna go to 4" all the way soon), turned my fuel pin, added a couple turns to the fuel screw and a few little things. My combined city/hwy mileage was 21 on my last tank and that's with some spirited driving, so I believe what I've read.

The best way to approach it is to do one thing at a time and see what gives you the power you want and then see how it effects your mileage.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
timing bump makes the truck more drivable as well as rotating the pin removing the nylon washer and full power screw. i can smoke out an intersection pretty well but once the turbo spools i have no problem not creating smoke. i did all of these at once so i dont know what is best but i hear timing is great. i imagine im getting about 17 mpg with a 3 speed auto and 4.56 gears and 37's not bad eh
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 AM

VALET SWITCH. It will help mileage and temps with normal driving plus if you want that extra power its there with the flip of a switch. I would go with a set of custom edm's a good "larger" turbo a bigger intercooler and just pump mods ect................
Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 AM

Well today had this same talk with gillett and they have upgraded both sides of my turbo and a upgraded center set for it aswell, new pin , am building a custom 3inch intake going over to my cold water intercooler on its own closed loop with its own radiator and fan, Dynamite here in town I think will be doing the work on my pump since they have a inhouse dyno and can give me before and after info....exhaust will be full 4 from turbo back....I have plentyof room to go with 5 aswell but suppose that wont do me any good... ad removed
Mike