1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Power Boosting Tips!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Boosting Tips!!

I have a 93 Dodge 3500 12 valve turbo diesel 5 speed and I just got it. I have always had the 5.9 V-8 gas motors and I wanted the better gas milage and pulling power. I want to know all the ways that I can turn up the power on this puppy. Also if you have the information how much power it will gain. Also if anyone knows the stock specs on my truck if you would please respond and let me know thanks.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 93Dod350TB
I have a 93 Dodge 3500 12 valve turbo diesel 5 speed and I just got it. I have always had the 5.9 V-8 gas motors and I wanted the better gas milage and pulling power. I want to know all the ways that I can turn up the power on this puppy. Also if you have the information how much power it will gain. Also if anyone knows the stock specs on my truck if you would please respond and let me know thanks.
Another new member with questions - welcome! Best place to start would be the "Tech Articles" sticky on the second line of the 1st Gen home page. If those don't answer your questions, ask again and someone will be more than happy to point you in the right direction.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the tip! I have am just looking into turning up the fuel as high as I can and changing the turbo to the 12cm WG turbo and running 4 inch straight pipe. does that sound like a good idea or should I do other things??
Old 06-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Banned

First off, and most importantly, you will need an EGT (Pyro) gauge and boost gauge BEFORE you touch the fuel screw. Otherwise your EGT's could be melting down your motor and you would never know it until it's too late.

Your plan sounds pretty good. You will want to do some other basic mods like a BHAF, AFC tweaks, and a 3200 RPM spring too. If you start reading everyone's signature when they post, you will notice a lot of the basic mods are the same. These would be the things you will definitely want to do so you can crank as much fuel as possible without ruining your motor.

Welcome to DTR and have fun!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That sounds like a good plan for the 'ol girl, but you really should think about adding a pyrometer before touching the injection pump for more power
Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM

you guys are talking about AFC pin and grinding and stuff. I was looking over in the tech articles and I saw this thing called a old smokies power pin. would installing that be the same as grinding the pin?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

I wouldn't get into grinding the AFC internally right away. That mod is for the more extreme race crowd I think.

Grinding your AFC fuel pin or cone is a good idea, but not really neccessary. Just turning your stock pin/cone to the most aggressive setting will make a huge difference for you. That and cranking down the starwheel while you're in there is a good idea. The aftermarket fuel pin is also an option, but probably not needed until you're a little further along with mods and looking for more power.

It sounds like you will be using this truck to tow with and EGT's will probably be your main concern. You can't really go all out (grinding the AFC lever/foot) and still maintain reasonalbe EGT's for towing...unless you want to spend big bucks on a sick turbo to burn all the fuel you have available.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM

Yea I am going to be usign this truck to tow with. I have a lawn and landscaping company and I tow around a trailor everyday that weighs 6,000 lbs. and sometimes it will weigh 11,000 lbs. so I just want more pulling power.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM

Yea I am going to be usign this truck to tow with. I have a lawn and landscaping company and I tow around a trailor everyday that weighs 6,000 lbs. and sometimes it will weigh 11,000 lbs. so I just want more pulling power.

if you do just some of the minor adj like my sigh shows there a lot of power gane

BUT you have got to rap you mine around GUAGES FIRST! First thing first, then you will now if the adj you just made was good ban or need's more!

the fine tune adj for all theses truck are just a little diff for each one so you need the guages to start. and welcome to the down hill slope of bomming you truck
Old 06-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flashgordon
and welcome to the down hill slope of bomming you truck
Why is that slope so slippery anyway? It's like someone goes out there and covers it in oil every night!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Why is that slope so slippery anyway? It's like someone goes out there and covers it in oil every night!
The problem is at the top of the slope is just fine but boy watch out after that first step!!!!

I thing that the first fuw twist are so simple(after i got over the stage fright ) that we all are more then wealing to go the next step and the next and then.......Hay what if i did this and what if i did that
Old 06-22-2006, 11:48 PM

ok so after I get a set of gauges and straight pipe it. would turning up the smoke and fuel boost screw be enough to reach some good power?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Banned

ok so after I get a set of gauges and straight pipe it. would turning up the smoke and fuel boost screw be enough to reach some good power?
You would also want an intake (like a BHAF) and probably want to rotate your fuel pin/cone to a more aggressive setting. Also make sure you're getting full throttle and back out your high idle screw a little. With those mods you should definitely get decent power.

Course, then you've started your way down the top of that slope! Good luck stopping near the top...I planned on it but...
Old 06-23-2006, 12:12 AM

about how expensive are those intakes? I am just out of high school so I am really short on the cash flow. That is why I am going to mess with pump because that wont cast anything.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:30 AM

most of the cost of the BHAF setup is in the filter itself, fabbing up the water shield and buying the other fittings shouldn't add up to a whole lot. it's not a pre made setup, more of a build your own kind of thing.

Quick Reply: Power Boosting Tips!!