1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

PODS =65hp/120tq to stock 5.9 ctd???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if you want something in between the 190s and the PODs, try the Bully Dogs. They are advertised as +50 hp.
I like mine...no haze at low rpm unless I lean on it so I can eliminate tailgaters on demand. I can still get great mileage if I am light footed (don't happen much anymore
)
Jay
Old 08-09-2005, 09:45 PM

I put POD's in mine - added a mandrel bent banks exhaust - and cranked up the pump - and installed a pyro - bone stock turbo, never even rebuilt.........I often drive my truck like it's a racecar and I have never had a problem with EGT's and I get a solid 18mpg in the warm months. Drops to about 16.5mpg in the cold months. I definately need to get more air to it though. My dirty K&N closed up in that restricted air box is suffocating her. If I don't stomp on it and I let the rpm's get way up before shifting smoothly, I can keep it from smoking excessively..... but I usually only do that when I'm feelin' bad for the person behind me That reminds me......I had a cop on a motorcycle pull me over back in February and he got off the bike waving his hand in his face, "Whew, you're truck stinks!" he said. I said, "So does the ticket your about to write me."
Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 PM

Just to emphasize....I have never gotten below 16.5mpg! Even in the cold winter months.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Here's a couple thoughts on your mileage issues....if you tweak your AFC cone and your starwheel properly you'll retain most all of you mileage under normal driving conditions.....ok, around town will still suffer slightly but not as much as some indicated.
What you want to do is limit the low end fueling....the POD's push enough juice to make up for the tweaks...
In addition the starwheel will help restrict your fueling rate increase until you have more boost air built up...that will help as well.....
Finally, the full fuel screw, while increasing the overall fueling, tends to send a larger percentage of the fuel increase to the low/low-mid range with the smaller percentage to the upper end.
If you tweak these things right ( it does take some time since each pump/engine has it's own personality) you can limit any MPG losses that come with the POD's..

Last item...the winter (cooler months) are always bad for me and, I bet for everyone regardless of the pump settings or injectors.

Here in BC (even on the south coast were I am located) we go to winter fuel... I think it's around the beginning of Oct or Nov.....
When that happens I loose almost exactly 2 MPG (US) and, lower idle by about 75-80 RPM, poorer idle stability/quality, more smoke and less power...
It's due to the "winter grade" fuel. It has less BTU per unit than the summer fuel...this it help keep it from gelling and so forth...

I add a full 1/2 bottle of Stanadyne PF every tank fill....I get back almost all of the losses I noted above...
If you want to try it out,,,just wait well into the cold months or ask your fuel outlet when they switch over to winter grade...run one untreated tank right down then, dump in a good half to two-thirds bottle of additive and drive on that tank....repeat the next fill up and see if you gain back anything...I bet you will see some improvement.

If you can look for an additive like Stanadyne or one that will raise the cetane value 8-10 points when used as directed....give it a try.

BTW, I use additive all year 'round because of the high wear and tear on these pumps when we crank 'em up....they are lubricated and cooled by fuel only so it helps keep them alive as long as possible....

pb.....