1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Are people nuts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are people nuts???

I saw an ad on cl today for a truck that was for sale local to me and from the pic I knew where the truck was so I had to go take a look. It is a 93 D350 drw reg cab auto LE with 95,000 miles on it. The outside looks good in the pics and from 100 feet away but when you get up on it its kinda rough. It has grey interior and the carpet is stained mostly black. There are 6 new tires on it the rear ones are mounted white letters out the front are white letters in lol and the simulator on the left rear is on wrong the hand holes arent even aligned with the ones in the wheels. Someone drilled a whole in the roof for an air horn and all the wires and airlines come through the headliner right above the drivers head. They are asking 8,999 on the window but only 7,900 on cl hahahaha are people nuts the truck is decent but even if it was perfect it would not be worth that kind of money. I would guess it might be worth like 4,000 maybe. Well when I used to work in the used car business they always said there is an edit for every seat. I guess they will maybe find someone to buy it.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Yup... it irks me sometimes. Sometimes I can't stop myself from sending sarcastic emails or commenting on it. I've been getting better at not saying anything but I hate to see uninformed people waste their money...
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 PM

I thought about sending that same email but it won't do any good anyway. Lol
Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Answer:

Yes, most are.

JP.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on craigslist theres a 17 year old cummins engine... 300+k miles on it. needs the injection pump rebuilt to run at least. they want $2500 firm. insane.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 PM

Nice
Old 07-30-2010, 09:36 PM

Last winter before I bought mine, there was a 350 deully from Calf, that boasted 7000 act miles, 1993, they wanted 15,000$, even if it was in a time capsule like the add said, you'd have to spend 1000's of $ to replace seals, fuel system componets, and wireing. I went with the body and made sure everything worked. Then drive the **** out of it and replace what needs to be.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I thought about sending that same email but it won't do any good anyway. Lol
don't waste your time... you always get back emails saying "you obviously don't know much about Cummins" or "try and find one cheaper", etc.

I just think about when I first started to look for my first Cummins 3+ years ago and how I might have been suckered in as well. Makes me want to protect those first time buyers, but emails to the seller just doesn't work.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 AM

Every time I'm tempted to replace my heap and it's groaning Getrag with, well, another heap, I just take one look at Craigslist. Nope, nuh uh. Cost me $2500 and I probably put another grand in it after the HG, oil cooler and some other stuff went, too. Oh yeah, got rid of the 21cm lagmaster and put in beefy new non-IC style injector tips.

Just fix stuff on the heap as it ages I suppose. Well, it did haul everything I own from the PNW to Texas and is still chugging away so hey.

I figure I'm still ahead of what people are asking on CL these days. "Cummins" is one of those magical brand name things; if these trucks were really worth only $2500 than that is what they would commonly still sell for. They don't. The market decides the going rate ultimately.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 AM

My favorite was a regular, completely average 18' car trailer on craigslist. The gist of the post was "I BOUGHT THIS AND USED IT ONCE. IF I DO NOT SELL BY FRIDAY I WILL LOSE MY HOUSE! MUST SELL!

$2500 FIRM"

So basically you could buy a slightly used trailer for the same price or more than a new one, and he was so desperate to sell it in order to save his house that he wasn't willing to negotiate on that price at all.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
The value of anything is what you can get for it and a fool and his money are soon parted. I think that says it all... Mark
Old 07-31-2010, 01:35 AM

first gens are turning into rusty gold! some of the trucks on here are probably worth well over 20,000!!! lol god is great, beer is good, and PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by SeanB23
if these trucks were really worth only $2500 than that is what they would commonly still sell for. They don't. The market decides the going rate ultimately.
Some of them are, and some of them do. The 'market' does decide, which is why, 2 years from now, the people Onemoparnut commented on will still have that truck in their front yard, unless they wake up and research the 'market.'
14 years ago, my wife bought my truck for $13,000. 3 years old, and mint condition. now, it's a slobbering rust-streaked heap that runs pretty good, maybe better than when it was new. I threw 5k into it 18 months ago to rebuild the tranny, IP and a set of injectors, but even so I think the 'market' value of it is around 4k. I don't have any fantasies or delusions of making ANY money if I ever sold her.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny story here.

several years ago I stopped at a used truck lot, before I got out the salesman ran up to me and said I wasn't going to leave the lot with my truck!!! I said 'What'? He told me he was going to buy it.
Said ok!!! $40,000.
That seemed to shock him. Truck is in the signature.
I told him that is what it would cost me to replace a perfect truck. and, I would be glad to help him!!!

Well, i bought the truck I was there for and he was still looking mine over.
He said he didn't think it was worth that much money but still wanted it.
I told him, if I left and had to come back to show it again it was going to go up!!

I still have my truck!!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 AM

Your screen name is One-mopar-nut... So the self proclaimed "nut" is asking if people are "nuts"??

Quick Reply: Are people nuts???