1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

PA inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PA inspection question

well it seems my truck has a little issue with rust like many other northeastern trucks. there is a pretty good size hole in the rocker below the door. will this pass inspection in PA? it is covered with the tape stuff you get from the auto parts store. Also, i know we don't have emission testing here but do we need muffler to pass?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's the metal style tape just paint it body color and you should be good. You will not need emissions on your truck and by pa state inspection regs. you do not need a muffler on diesel vehs.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Chapter President

thanks ryan. it is the metal type tape, i will repaint it before it goes in.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe they bust you guys for that. How is that impeding the overall performance of the vehicle or causing some sort of hazard? There are a lot of blue collar people in PA who can't afford pristine vehicles. As strict as Jersey is they don't really bother with that unless it's affecting the structural integrity, especially if it's the bumpers(understandably).We live in the rust belt, especially PA moreso than NJ. I have seen some pretty rough rigs out of PA and they are trying to keep that in check, but a rocker hole? Most of us have 'em. Yet, they don't care about emissions of trucks or powerplants much. Go figure.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM

It all depends on where you take your truck and how strict the person is doing the inspection. Some places will pass a truck with holes in the bedside as long as none are going into the cab. This reasoning is based on exhaust gases getting into the cab. Other places see a rust hole anywhere on the body and fail it. The exhaust is supposed to be as designed by the manufacturer or equal in replacement parts. It can be shortened but is supposed to exit in a manner that does not discharge directly under the body. The last time I checked on the muffler rule was a few years ago. At that time it stated that all motor vehicles with the exception fire trucks must be equipped with a muffler. Years ago the low restriction straight through muffler were prohibited. Back then I was stopped for loud exhaust on a 65 Chevelle with factory mufflers. I guess overall things have gotten a little bit better since then.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Trebor
It all depends on where you take your truck and how strict the person is doing the inspection. Some places will pass a truck with holes in the bedside as long as none are going into the cab. This reasoning is based on exhaust gases getting into the cab. Other places see a rust hole anywhere on the body and fail it. The exhaust is supposed to be as designed by the manufacturer or equal in replacement parts. It can be shortened but is supposed to exit in a manner that does not discharge directly under the body. The last time I checked on the muffler rule was a few years ago. At that time it stated that all motor vehicles with the exception fire trucks must be equipped with a muffler. Years ago the low restriction straight through muffler were prohibited. Back then I was stopped for loud exhaust on a 65 Chevelle with factory mufflers. I guess overall things have gotten a little bit better since then.
ok, thanks. i don't see how exhaust could enter though the drivers side rocker so they should not have a problem with that. i sure hope i don't need a muffler, i know there are plenty of guys running around here with stacks and no mufflers.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tape is not going to pass with very many inspection stations. Any kind of hole that is rusted through the metal, anywhere on the vehicle, most likely will not pass. Yeah, it's messed up because we live in the rust belt, but a fact of life here in the Commonwealth. Some stations will pass almost anything as long as it's not too obvious, but nobody wants to lose their inspection license, it's any easy way to make a lot of money. As for as a muffler, there is not a emission inspection for diesel vehicles in PA, as of yet. You should be fine.