1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote sticky

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maybe368
All the other seals on my doors are in pretty bad shape, so I found this kit on Rockauto. Anyone have experience with it? It has all of the window track and door seals, I think. So, when it gets here, I'll be pulling it apart again to replace the window track seals...Mark
Mark,

I bought that same kit from rock auto, it has everything for the front doors other than the vent seal of course. The quality was equal to the stuff I bought from JC Whitney a few years back. It worked great and my vent actually stopped leaking once the door was stiffened up and the channel seals where replaced. my vent leak might not have been as bad as yours, not sure what the exchange rate is on using coins to stop the vent from leaking but I only needed a penny.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by taterfarm
Mark,

I bought that same kit from rock auto, it has everything for the front doors other than the vent seal of course. The quality was equal to the stuff I bought from JC Whitney a few years back. It worked great and my vent actually stopped leaking once the door was stiffened up and the channel seals where replaced. my vent leak might not have been as bad as yours, not sure what the exchange rate is on using coins to stop the vent from leaking but I only needed a penny.

Glad to hear that it is a quality kit. 20 pesos is about $1.50 so it is getting more expensive to shade tree fix it, definitely worth the high dollar (relatively) fix...Mark
Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Thanks David, it is really appreciated, ...Mark
Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad someone figured it out. Asked several times.. what are the differences between 81-88 and the 89-93 vent weatherstrip. Noticed rock listed it under 92 model...

My drivers door has a gap at the bottom..maybe the door skin needs to be pulled in here? Maybereplace the window motor and fuzziness at the same time. Door glass channel strips do not seem to last a long time.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad someone figured it out. Asked several times.. what are the differences between 81-88 and the 89-93 vent weatherstrip. Noticed rock listed it under 92 model...

My drivers door has a gap at the bottom..maybe the door skin needs to be pulled in here? Maybereplace the window motor and fuzziness at the same time. Door glass channel strips do not seem to last a long time.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
I had gaps at the top of my doors that I would see light through, so I bent them. The only problem in now my wing window seals are leaking air so bad I have to preload the handle with a bunch of cardboard, and it still had wind noise.
Guess I will be doing this one too. Thanks for the write-up!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
I had gaps at the top of my doors that I would see light through, so I bent them. The only problem in now my wing window seals are leaking air so bad I have to preload the handle with a bunch of cardboard, and it still had wind noise.
Guess I will be doing this one too. Thanks for the write-up!
You're welcome, The door seal kit came in and I got the drivers side done. Wow, what a difference. I tried doing BC847's how to to install the long felt piece. You, Sir have a million times more patience than me, I went crazy trying to slide it by the window, so I pulled the window, as well as the vent window assembly, and installed the channel pieces on the bench, very easy and sanity restoring. Of course, you cannot install the latch side channel piece on the bench, but it is a lot easier with the window out. It was the new window scrapers that kicked my hiney, what is the trick to that? I'll take pics of the passenger side tomorrow...Mark
Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
You're welcome, The door seal kit came in and I got the drivers side done. Wow, what a difference. I tried doing BC847's how to to install the long felt piece. You, Sir have a million times more patience than me, I went crazy trying to slide it by the window, so I pulled the window, as well as the vent window assembly, and installed the channel pieces on the bench, very easy and sanity restoring. Of course, you cannot install the latch side channel piece on the bench, but it is a lot easier with the window out. It was the new window scrapers that kicked my hiney, what is the trick to that? I'll take pics of the passenger side tomorrow...Mark
When you tear the old ones out, you tend to distort the slots that the retainers go into. Straighten them out and get all the retainers started, then go from one end the other and push/bat each one in till it hooks on the other side of the slot.

If you miss a couple, it'll still look fine. Then one day you'll notice it's missing. (don't ask)
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by j_martin
When you tear the old ones out, you tend to distort the slots that the retainers go into. Straighten them out and get all the retainers started, then go from one end the other and push/bat each one in till it hooks on the other side of the slot.

If you miss a couple, it'll still look fine. Then one day you'll notice it's missing. (don't ask)
Thanks for the tips, I'll try that today...Mark
Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Did the other side

Well, I resealed the passenger side today. I learned a few things and was taught some also. It is definitely easier and well worth the effort to remove the window. The latch side channel is real easy without the window in place. I took that shot of the channel with my camera inside the door. I also marked the location of the slots for the window scrapers, it really helps on reinstalling the scrapers. They were also distorted, thanks to Jmartin for the trick to reinstall the scrappers. I used a hammer and a screwdriver to straighten them a bit. I also removed the wing window assembly, which is necessary to remove the window. I could not get the lower hinge off the window, so I just pulled the hinge out with the window. This made reassembly a bit harder, because the new rubber was very hard to slide the hinge into. Took some effort, but got it done...Mark
Attached Thumbnails Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-long-channel.jpg   Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-mark-slots.jpg   Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-distorted-slots.jpg   Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-new-channel-without-window.jpg   Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-wing-removal-hinge.jpg  

Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Administrator

It is real easy to install the wing channel rubber. There is actually another piece of seal that is not included in the kit. Mine is still real supple so I did not worry about reusing it. When reinstalling the window scrappers, I found it easier to put it on the door as evenly as possible, try to get the clips all in the right spot and start at to straight end. I kind of smacked the area of the clips with the palm of my hand. Work from the straight end to the curved end, be patient and try not to cry. The second one is the toughest. Thanks to Jmartin for the tips. The large door seal is the easiest of the bunch. The new seal comes with a tab A to go into hole B. I siliconed this joint, came out real clean...Mark
Attached Thumbnails Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-wing-all-done.jpg   Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-possible-extra-piece.jpg   Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-rubber-connector.jpg   Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-seal-silicone.jpg   Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-all-done.jpg  

Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Administrator

There sure is a lot of rubber in these 2 doors. Everything went well, except my window motor gave up the ghost, so I wired it up and bought one from rock auto. Can't wait get it out and hear myself think...Mark
Attached Thumbnails Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals-ton-o-rubber.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I bought new seals for my vent window assemblies last week. Went out to install them and found the glass "glued" to both hinges. What sort of adhesive is this and what chemicals can be used to remove it without destroying the glass?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimbo486
I bought new seals for my vent window assemblies last week. Went out to install them and found the glass "glued" to both hinges. What sort of adhesive is this and what chemicals can be used to remove it without destroying the glass?
I think that NJTman used solvent to dissolve the glue, but he did that on the bench, which is what I recommend, so as to not break them. You may want to pm Tman to see what he used...Mark

Quick Reply: Ok, Let's replace our wing window seals