1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to upgrade to 1 ton brakes just make sure you do the 1 ton wheel cylinders along with the 1 ton shoes.

Or GM wheel cylinders for a 1 ton GM rear. mid 80's.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok Crossy, now I've gots a qweshton.....

When I took off the old 3/4ton cylinders and compared it to the 1ton, there was no physical size difference.

Are they the same or different ID?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something internal i thought....more pushing power.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK new question. So I was driving home from work yesterday and as timing would have it my wife ended up right behind me for the last few miles before our house. When we got home she was chuckling to herself saying it looked like I had stuck a truck body on a car frame. I was planing on leaving the wheels stock because I have all four big dish factory hub caps and to be honest I kind of like them. My question is are there any wheel spacers that will give me a wider offset? Is it bad to get spacers? I am sure they will add extra stress on the bearings, maybe not as much on the rear as the front. Will pushing out the offset screw up my steering? If clearance is a problem i might look into a leveling kit. I normally wouldn't give into my wife's heckling on something like this but I kinda of think she is on to something.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
I'd bet your pulsing brake pedal is due to warped front disc brake rotors. At least in my experience that has been the case. If they are thick enough you can have them turned by a machine shop.

As far as the rear wheel cylinder size, back before anti-lock brakes 1 ton trucks tended to lock up the rears during panic stops. The remedy on a truck that didn't haul heavy loads was to reduce the size of the wheel cylinder - smaller inside bore.

If your wheels are stock, not '94 and newer, I think they look alright. I'd avoid spacers if possible, unless you gotta have them good lookin 3rd gen wheels. Spacers have the possibility of breaking.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me start this off by saying what I found is a bitter sweet. I am in the process of changing out my brakes all around. I ordered $450 in new parts just incase the drums and rotors can not be turned.

I started with the front and everything looks good if not great. The bearings feel good but I'm going to change them out just because. The rotors don't need to be turned not a gouge in them, they look new (minus the rust). New pads and I will be set.

Off to the rears. This is where it turns frustrating but has a happy ending. I pulled the rear tires and instantly noticed something was different. The drums were huge compared to the ones that NAPA sold me. When I opened them up the shoes were even bigger 3". So from what I can tell it looks like I have one ton brakes. Thats the good part the bad part is that I have to go back to NAPA and get all new parts. I could use the 2.5" shoes I bought but if it is set up for 3" why not get them. I just hope Les Schwab can turn my drums out because NAPA said they will be a few days out.

I also noticed there is a small radiator with a fan above it right in front of the drivers side rear wheel. Looks like an auxiliary trans. cooler. I think this will come in handy on a trans that doesn't lock up.

Was it a factory option to get the one ton brakes on a three quarter ton truck?

One last thing what do I torque the 2 9/16" rear nut on the axel to, I have herd a few different numbers? Thanks