1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Just wanted to rant a little.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to rant a little.....

I dont like to ever take my to a shop, or even dealer for repairs because I honestly dont trust anyone but myself to do them right. Not saying I'm some great mechanic, I'm not. But at least then when things go wrong I can only blame myself.

I just recently, and relunctantly, put my truck in the shop to have the SBDD clutch installed. I normaly would do this myself, but with my back now some things just arent possible. I went in and talked to the guy, gave him all the info, and got a quote of $350 to install it. Well some things took a little longer than expected, SB sent the wrong starter spacer(Called Peter and he overnighted a new one to the shop free, great guy!), and the bill when I went to pick the truck up was $750. I was less than excited so I asked for some sort of price break down. There was 8 hours labor at $85 (sign in front of shop says "Labor $75hr", new drive shaft u-joint hoops because the old bolts broke (I'm ok with that since it was $10), and there was a shipping charge of $48 for the starter spacer. I called Peter at SB myself and when he asked where to over night it I told him the shop name, no questions asked. Well SB invoiced the shop for the shipping. I told the shop I could drive it without the starter and just wait for it to come snail mail if I knew I was paying $48 shipping. Its not like its my DD. After all the discounting and such the shop could come up with I paid $703. I would have tuffed it out in my driveway for that in a heart beat!!!!!

Then after I get the truck home I can not seem to get the passenger side door to unlock. It worked every day before it went in, but hasnt worked since it came out. Then at the track when it blew I crawled under the truck to look around and its missing the big rubber boot that goes on the clutch fork. No big deal I guess, but it was there when it went in. And last but not least, the steering wheel plastic was snapped loose when I picked the truck up, but I paid it no attention and just snapped it back together. When my wife was towing me home I tried to put the flashers on, but they are no longer working either. I know for a fact they were before the truck went into the shop because I had to use them on the side of I-10 when I blew the fuse for the fuel pump and had to stop to replace it.

I can blame the shop for the missing boot on the shift fork and what I think is high price for the install, but the other issues could just be coincidental. Either way I blame them for it all because I am a difficult customer......

Anyone else have issues trusting anyone else with touching there trucks, or anything with a motor for that matter?????
Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 AM

the only thing I let someone else do to mine was the alignment. I was right there when it was done though and the guy came highly recomended and he did a fine job. I know exactly how you feel though. What was the reason for the 350 quote and then the final bill of 703 where did the difference come from? I would not have paid the difference. What is the point of the first price if they arent going to stick to it?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:56 AM

I'm with you. I HATE it. Always something.

Here in Jersey, for the longest time, you'd have to take your truck in to a place where they'd test emissions and safety. One of the things they did was to put it on a dyno of sorts, get it rolling with a load on it, and test the emissions.

I used to have this cherry 94 Lightning. 35k miles (in 2002) and not a scratch or issue.

Well, they got the rollers rolling, tested it, and when they decided they were good, they threw it in park.

I don't know how heavy that roller is, but that truck jumped and barked and smoked tires locking up the drivetrain from a 30+ mph roll. Man was I mad!

Heck, I don't even like letting people fill my fuel tank, and that's the law here in Jersey.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
the only thing I let someone else do to mine was the alignment. I was right there when it was done though and the guy came highly recomended and he did a fine job. I know exactly how you feel though. What was the reason for the 350 quote and then the final bill of 703 where did the difference come from? I would not have paid the difference. What is the point of the first price if they arent going to stick to it?
The $350 price came from me running shop stickers on the truck and sending business that way. When I got a call saying he had to remove the exhaust pipe/DP and replace the u-joint hoops and it may be a little more than quoted I said ok, not thinking the difference would be that big. When paying the $703 he said that was as much as he could discount it and normaly it would be a $900 job. The guy knows 12v's, but quoting $350 discount install for running stickers, and having never installed a DD in a getrag before, no wonder he ran into issues. It was the first time to do that type of clutch in a first gen. Of course it may take a little longer than a single disk.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Subliminal
I'm with you. I HATE it. Always something.

Here in Jersey, for the longest time, you'd have to take your truck in to a place where they'd test emissions and safety. One of the things they did was to put it on a dyno of sorts, get it rolling with a load on it, and test the emissions.

I used to have this cherry 94 Lightning. 35k miles (in 2002) and not a scratch or issue.

Well, they got the rollers rolling, tested it, and when they decided they were good, they threw it in park.

I don't know how heavy that roller is, but that truck jumped and barked and smoked tires locking up the drivetrain from a 30+ mph roll. Man was I mad!

Heck, I don't even like letting people fill my fuel tank, and that's the law here in Jersey.
Coming down from Maine to Texas, every trip I would stop before I went thru there and fill up. The one time I let them do it he stoped when it clicked. My yukon xl holds 30 gallons. The low fuel light was on and the pump clicked with about 12 gallons in. He said he couldnt put any more in once it stopped. I paid and then he waited for a tip. I used that fuel to get to another state where I could fuel it up right. What ever creates jobs I guess.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 AM

Wow...I've never heard of tipping someone who fills up your tank here in jersey. That guy sounds like a real winner...lol.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM

The 98.5 I take care of needs more work done to it than I'm capable of doing at home, but there is NO ONE around here I would ever trust to do it. Thankfully it's not my truck so ultimately it doesn't really affect me, but either way it's not good knowing there are problems and no one to fix 'em.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM

someone else touching my truck

I know how u feel. The injection pump started leaking real bad on my 92 so i took it to a guy out in texas city TEXAS INJECTION. When i drop it off it was only running 22psi boost .I got the truck back it would hit 36psi boost no problem i was very happy. i really have a hard time letting someone else touch my truck. dealership down right dirty an i dont like em.o ya clear lake dodge is no better.most of the work is done by me . i do know have u feel.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
It's a hit an miss thing with shops. I've had great experiences and horrible ones. But like many on here I prefer to do my own work as much as possible. Dealers are a rip off, and I only take the wifes 02 Concorde in once a year to have them flash the computer for codes, I then fix the things myself if I can.

If the guy quoted $350 then they should have honored their quote, regardless of how much "Extra" time it cost them. I always get quotes in writing, then signed and dated. And then tell them nothing extra unless I've OK'd it first.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Subliminal
Wow...I've never heard of tipping someone who fills up your tank here in jersey. That guy sounds like a real winner...lol.
Heck i don't even know of a station in my state where someone (WILL) fill your tank.

THATS CRAZY TALK

Dar
Old 01-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bigjohn92
I know how u feel. The injection pump started leaking real bad on my 92 so i took it to a guy out in texas city TEXAS INJECTION. When i drop it off it was only running 22psi boost .I got the truck back it would hit 36psi boost no problem i was very happy. i really have a hard time letting someone else touch my truck. dealership down right dirty an i dont like em.o ya clear lake dodge is no better.most of the work is done by me . i do know have u feel.
Hey a local guy! I think your the first local first gen person I've seen here in awhile. There used to be a local katy cop on here, but he sold the nice 89' and bought an 06'. I grew up between webster and texas city, and never heard of Texas Injection. Are they over by the plants?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:45 PM

I ve lived here for awhile now. texas injection is over by bp off 146 robert hasserd is the owner good guy.he's worked on my dads 05 power choke.ive got a few of the 1st gens 91.5 d250 92 d350 69 d100. been working on the 92 getting some body work out of the way so i can get ready for paint. theres afew of the them running around here 1st gen. im trying to buy as many of them as i can when i can afford it their great truck. if u live out in katy im sure u seen my white one running around single cab d250 with a single stack bfg. good to know theres afew of us out there. these r great trucks.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by bigjohn92
I ve lived here for awhile now. texas injection is over by bp off 146 robert hasserd is the owner good guy.he's worked on my dads 05 power choke.ive got a few of the 1st gens 91.5 d250 92 d350 69 d100. been working on the 92 getting some body work out of the way so i can get ready for paint. theres afew of the them running around here 1st gen. im trying to buy as many of them as i can when i can afford it their great truck. if u live out in katy im sure u seen my white one running around single cab d250 with a single stack bfg. good to know theres afew of us out there. these r great trucks.
Actualy I think I do recognize the white reg cab. I live off N Mason, and one day on south mason there was a truck like yours with a tattoo'd guy driving. I chased the truck down with my Dmax to play. This has been awhile back though. Maybe a year.

In all those first gens you have a reg cab youd like to sell? I need a shorter hotrod that will fit in my garage, this ext cab is too long.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:06 PM

the white i have has a carbon footprint sticker on it by the stack. an some stickers on the tailgate o the tailgate is missing some paint to.

there is a swb dodge here in alvin just dont know if he want to sell it.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Kindly keep the Want Ads / For Sale stuff in the classifieds.

Quick Reply: Just wanted to rant a little.....