1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need freaking power

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need freaking power

I need some more power for towing. I recently bought a 5900# trailer and my CTD is having a hard time towing it. It cant get over 60 mph without the temputure gauge rising. My truck also has a 2900# flatbed on it, so that doesnt help.

How can i get more power to tow that thing? So far i am thinking a 16cm housing (it has the big housing now since its a auto), some PODs and to stick on a ford intercooler. I was thinking about the fuel pin and spring but i am worried about high egts from it. It has a 3" exhaust right now with no muffler.

Should i hold on the pin and do the rest with a 4" exhaust? I only need the power for towing. Having semi's pass you sucks big time. Only adds to insult watching all these new trucks pulling way bigger trailers pass me like i am standing still.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:39 PM

How far is temp. gauge going up? Mine lines up in a straight line up and down when I'm towing and never goes higher than that. I have an auto that is completely stock and only that much weight shouldn't hamper the ability to get it to run even 70 but I could be wrong.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fill out your sig so we know what truck it is.

As for POD's, I hear they get EGT scary when towing. I heard bosch 190's are a good compromise.

The 16cm, spring, and fuel pin should help.

Also, the temp gauge on my truck always got about 1/8" from the second middle line, almost 1/2 way between the first middle, and second middle line. Nothing wrong with that according to the manual.

Jon
Old 08-27-2007, 03:22 PM

Mine temp gauge is right in the middle pulling 10K#. I believe I read that PODs run hot when towing. The MPH limit is probably the govenor spring(assuming you are not towing in OD) What RPM are you running?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:25 PM

Need to know more about the truck.

First mod no matter what though is a pyro and boost guage.

Mine is a 93 and stock it got out pulled by my 70 chevy with a 350.

After a couple of turns on the fuel screw, some new boost boots, and a BHAF it rolls at 70 on all but the steepest of the Flint Hills in KS with no problem grossing 14K lbs. Drop to 4th going 60mph and it only slows down if I am in Colorado.

Andy
Old 08-29-2007, 03:13 PM

Ok updated my sig, its a stock 91 non intercooled 4X4. My temp is almost approaching half way between the first and second lines. Normal driving it lays right on top of the first line and never moves. Maybe its normal, i have towed before, nothing that heavy though, and never seen the needle move.

No idea what rpm i am running, dont have a tach. Wouldnt mind one but a little unsure on that whole thing with diesels and tachs.

The injectors were taking out about 3 years ago and i sent them somewhere and they cleaned and rebuilt them. I am not married to the POD's it just a common power add on i keep seeing.

So far what i a hearing is 16cm housing, pin, spring, Boush 190's, cold air intake from PDR, and 4" exhaust if i can find one. How much power can i expect. And of course gages.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 PM

Can you really get a cold air intake from PDR for the 89-93 diesels? If so, do they have a website? Thanks.

Salvy
Old 08-29-2007, 08:05 PM

Yes piers has a cold air intake http://www.piersdiesel.com

The intake ishttp://store.pdrdiesel.com/catalog/Systems-37-1.html
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM

towing

first thing first before you think of anything that temp guage seems normal if your worried about it get a bigger trans cooler.

2 before you do anything to your truck since your pulling get a pyrometer after that pull something if ## are in the low side start playing around with the pin power screw etc
Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 AM

I started looking at gauges last night. Many to choose from. Where are the best deals? I kind of like the look of the dual gauges but the seem hard to read.

Are there any other places to mount them besides the a pillar? I would love to somehow stick them either on the steering column or dash. Couldnt find a dual pod for the steering column for our generation. Does anyone know who might offer these for our trucks?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 AM

I have a dash pod I got from US Gear 3 years ago. It is a great piece IMHO. I don't know if they are available anymore though.

My gauges are Isspro I got from PDR around the same time. The 91.5 and newer trucks have a CPS it gets its signal from. The older trucks need a tach that gets a signal from the alternator.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:43 AM

Those are pretty cool looking, i will check that out at us gear
Old 08-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

No Longer Available on the USGear pod, but I hear that a 2ndGen Autometer pod can be adapted to fit our trucks.

I think with 190s, and the tuning, you could hit 275-300hp.

By the first mark, I assume you mean the mark just left of center on your temp gauge? If so, going up to the mark right of center is normal- been there many times, towing 20K. The FSM fo r90 and 93 show the temp gauge going up to the last of th e"joined" marks when towing, so I think the just right of center is fine. still not a bad idea to confirm with a mechanical gauge.

Get a tranny gauge, and tach, too (to keep an eye on the performance of your tranny/ torque convertor, which is notoriously sloppy in these trucks). ISSPRO makes a tach that you can get a sensor for to mount on the harmonic balancer. I had one on my 91 for 3 years, no problems.

I like the pilar mount- keeps stuff out of the way, and even with the pod on there, the A-pillar still isnt as wide as the g/f's 04 Dakota.

Daniel
Old 08-30-2007, 05:05 PM

Anyone know where you can get the steering wheel pods?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

2ndGen pods will fit our columns, if you have a 91-93 with tilt. My 90 was a different style than my newer trucks.

DP

Quick Reply: Need freaking power