1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Mc Mobile

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
By track bar are you referring to the crossover steering link.
No, I'm talking about whatever is connected to that big new mount on the frame right in front of the bumpstop.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Maybe it is a link to stiffen the new steering box mount he fabbed in there. I see the two links in that pic looking in the driver's side wheel well.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ace, your looking at the old DT366 front engine mount bolt.

Yes thats my custom extended anti sway bar Other pic shows the F-350's steering box and section of frame that I molded into the W's frame. Hopefully I have a long lasting steering system. Here is a pic of what the front looks like now.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Wanna, you happy with the way this is wired?

Key on = hot

Still a little corn fused on what the bottom switch/solenoid does? Please tell me again
Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats your KSB solenoid.

It uses case pressure to retard the timing at cold startup, so it starts easier.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 PM

Crossy, so that means I don't have it wired correctly? It's hot all the time (key is on).

Couple of ???????

A. The exhaust manifold is drilled 1/8 NPT for a Pyro Probe. What probs do you guys recommend? Got a link?

B. How do I wire up the alternator?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:32 PM

ISSPRO makes good gauges. Get the complete gauge kit from them, it comes with everything.

or just buy the probe if you already have the gauge.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Ace
Banned

The non-IC KSB is off hot. It advances timing when on. I'd wire it seperately, if you want to use it. It'll be advanced all the time without power, which might not be a bad thing, dunno. I only use it in the winter for a minute or so after cold start.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 AM

It does advance?

That's weird because guys say when you advance your timing it'll make it harder to start.

How do the I/C trucks work
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Ace
Banned

The IC KSB is opposite: Powered = on (advanced)

I think there may been some concern about the non-IC KSBs running hot all the time due to heat build-up or something like that, but can't recall exactly what it was. But I think that one needs the temp sensor wired in to cut power on cold start in order to be technically correct. Wanna can chime in if I got it confused. It is kinda confusing - the difference between the IC-non-IC KSBs.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace
It is kinda confusing - the difference between the IC-non-IC KSBs.

YES. VERY CONFUSING.

I have read and re-read and had it hammered into my head and I still don't quite understand the whys and hows of the KSB and the difference in a non-I/C and an I/C.

I see more old trucks around here, both I/C and non-I/C, with no wire at all attached to the KSB, than I see that have them hooked up; and, those engines start and run just as good and quick as those that have it all wired proper.

I like Volkswagon's(??spelling??) hand-cable-operated advance system and would put one on any pump I had apart if I could get ahold of the VW parts.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
The Non I/C is the wax motor type. If you leave it unhooked it will always be in the advanced mode.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
The Non I/C is the wax motor type. If you leave it unhooked it will always be in the advanced mode.

I think I will paint that on the barn-door so I can refer to it when I get confused.

So actually, the non-I/C pump when cold is in an advanced state; then, the wax-pellet heats up, expands, and retards the pump to normal timing ??

Is there any way to un-advance the pump ??

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
hot wire it i would guess.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:18 PM

KSB operations

Ok lets try to get this straight:

The KSB doesn't retard timing, it advances timing by increasing the case pressure which in turns forces the advance piston to advance the roller ring....Now since it uses case pressure, there is no case pressure when the engine is not running, so engine not running no case pressure no timing advance. The reason that the ksb is on these engines is NOT for starting, but to reduce cold start/running emissions. The engine will actually start easier/better with reduced timing, this is why the p-pump guys with 20+ degrees of timing have a harder time starting in cold weather. With the VE dynamic timing advance you can get your 20 degrees of timing, where you want it at high rpms, but still keep your retarded timing for easy cold weather starting. Hence the reason why ve pumped engines start better than all others.

Now for the difference between IC and NON-IC ksb.

As stated the NON-IC KSB uses some sort of wax motor, the actual way it operates I don't know, but with no power to it this KSB advances the timing. So on this style you want key power to it all the time, or you will be running full advance all the time, except for starting where there is no case pressure. It operates slowly and you can't just put a switch on it to turn it on and off at will.

For the IC KSB with no power to it there is no added advance, when you put power to it it advances. This style you can switch it and almost instantly get your timing advance.

Clear as mud? good

Quick Reply: Mc Mobile