1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler

Hey Every One.

Well I Am New Here. But Not New To These Trucks.

I Have A Question. Has Any One Put A Newer Dodge Intercooler Into Out Fist Gens?
I Can Get A 2002 I/c For Cheap.
I Am Sure It Will Flow Better Than A Stock One. But Is It Really Worth It? Thats What I Want To Know. So If Any One Has Done This Swap Let Me Know, Thanks.

Cody
Old 03-16-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can get it for cheap it may be worth it. Its posible to do a swap for sure but I haven't heard of any IC'd trucks looking for a upgrade mostly just the non ic's wanting them. Im pretty sure stock your intercooler tubes are only 2.5' where the newer ones are 3' so you will need all new tubes made up as well as a bigger intake.

hopefully someone else chimes in here
good luck
BTW welcome to the site! Lots of reading to do here!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
stock your intercooler tubes are only 2.5' where the newer ones are 3' so you will need all new tubes made up as well as a bigger intake.
thats it. doing the swap and new tubes isnt a problem. if i am going to see a noticable diffrence with lower EGT's and so forth. if its not going to be noticable. theres no reason to do the swap!

if any one has upgraded from the stock I/C to a 2nd gen one, let me know.

thanks, Cody
Old 03-16-2006, 11:55 AM

The 2nd gen one will be better, hands down. Ity will have much less restriction with the 3' tubes rather thern the stock 2.5' tubes
Old 03-16-2006, 12:04 PM

actual word!

Underpsi,

dont take this the rong way. but i would really like to hear from some one who has done an up grade like this. heck you dont even have an I/C . i relize that it will have less restiction over what i have now. but how much better will it flow. will it make enough of a diffrence for the time & money involved on the swap.

i wanna hear about a noticable diffrence from some one who has done this!

thanks Underpsi.

Cody

by the way i like your rims. looks sharp!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned

The 2nd gen, the Ford PSD IC, the Banks IC, and a PDR replacement will give you 25 to 30 percent bettter efficiency. The Banks and PDR solutions are bolt in, the others require modification. You don't need to have an IC to know it will make a difference.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:28 PM

If your looking to see a large improvement for power or something then you will not see it just from putting in a larger intercooler. If temps are your concern then yes you will see lower temps, is it worth the money? thats your decision. If you say its a good deal then I guess it would be worth the money and it will also allow you to do more bombing. Just cuz I don't have an IC doesn't mean I don't know anyhting about them. I do alot fo reading especially lately since Im wanting to put an IC in my truck
Old 03-16-2006, 06:07 PM

Arrow who has done the swap!!!!!!

Underpsi,

i never said you didnt know about I/C's. i know going from 2.5" stock to a 3" opeings and tubes will flow more. thats a given. and i know its not going to give me loads more power. i am not knew to this. all i am asking has any one put a 2nd gen I/C in a 1st Gen in place of the stock I/C. (no_6_oh_no i know it will requier modifications ) and did they see a noticable diffrence. thats all i am asking. from some one who has done it. you can read and read all you want about anything, thats great. knowledge is power in my book. i just want to hear it from the horse persay.

thanks Cody

Underpsi, who makes those rims you have?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:44 PM

The rims are eagle alloy 114's. They go for pretty cheap nowadays. go here http://www.aewheel.com
then go to RWD/SUV/Truck. thers lots of nice ones, Eagle is really just a knockoff of other wheels but I still think they have good quality.

I haven't heard of anyone doing the swap. I think the closest thing you will find to doing that swap is getting some info from the guys that did the banks upgrades