1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler

My dad has a 93 2wd with smv5600. Larger injectors and 16 cm turbo housing. K N filter. He has trouble with smoke, even with adjusting the screw and boost valve on pump. He talked to Banks today and they told him the Intercooler is restrive. They wanted to sell him a $1300 intercooler.
Is this true, Were would a person get a higher flow intercooler for that truck cheeper.

Thanks
Dan
Old 12-07-2005, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When does it smoke just on bottom end before it spools or top end too? Personally i think they just want to sell u an intercooler, ya im sure its a better intercooler but i don't think its neccesary especially for that kind of money. but then again it is posible that the stock intercooler is restricted by some dirt or something else could have gotten in there but i don't think thats its that common to get alot of stuff in thier to actually effect it too much.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:07 PM

LMAO come on now guys, mines nonintercooled it doesnt smoke. Thats biggest sales pitch iv heard in weeks. A better cooler would do just that it would cool the charge air better, it wont make it smoke.

But be a bit more exact, when does it smoke? at startup or under a load ? Its normal for them with pods to smoke until the turbo spools, even with a 16 housing. Also im guessing its black smoke not white ?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:44 PM

Don't get a bank$$$$$$$$

If you want to get a better cooler get one from a 2nd gen, new ones can be had for $400, however its not going to fix your smoke problem. Like everyone else when does it smoke then we can give you advice from there. Also what are your EGT's like? If they are high a better cooler will help some but not all that much.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:30 PM

I think it's smoking at bottom and top end. He has a 30psi boost gauge, pegs it out easy.

My question, is are these truck know to have restrive intercooler's?

Thanks

Dan
Old 12-08-2005, 12:42 PM

Yes they are more restrictive than a 2nd gen intercooler, however I don't think thats why its smoking all the time, I think you need a bigger turbo than anything.

If you want to findout if your intercooler is restricting your intake just plumb in a pressure gauge before the intercooler and one after. You obviously have one after, in the manifold as this is where the boost gauge is usually plumbed. However you would also need both gauges to read more than 30psi since your maxing that one out.

Do that and see how big the pressure drop is accross the intercooler. If its greater than say 10psi? than a bigger one might make a difference.

Also you never mentioned what the egt's were at WOT. I would venture to guess that you need to upgrade the turbo there are guys here making 300+hp with the stock I/C
Old 12-08-2005, 01:05 PM

You have folks with lots more than 300 HP with stock coolers. I'm 99 % sure that STOMP is running a stock one and he was 643 HP on #2 only before the pump took a crap.

I'm in the 375-400 range with 52 # of boost and still have a stock one. I am trying to see if a second gen intercooler will fit without major mods and this is to get lower EGT's when towing. I have the intercooler and pipes and hoses so I just need to get brave and start cutting and fitting!

I suspect the smoke is the injectors and pump adjustments/mods. Also, does he have a modified fuel cone in the AFC? The boost is probably in the mid 30psi range with what he has. Also, is the timing advanced? If so, how far? I am running 20 degrees and with the normal angle injectors there can be a lot of smoke as the injectors are spraying on the walls rather than in the top of the piston. I had terrible smoke with the PODS and replaced them with Lenny's stage 3's at the advice of Piers and the smoke has dropped way off.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 PM

The simple thing is this, if its black smoke, that means not enough air to properly burn the fuel. Now a more efficient cooler cools theair thus making it denser, but this effect is no where enough to stop smoking.

Id say you just need more air, pods supply way to much fuel for a stock turbo, even one with a 16 housing.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
How dirty is the K&N?