1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injector Pump installation woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PDR built it. AFAIK it was built to order.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:55 PM

i failed to mention that when my pump was all back and rebuilt, they put it on the test stand and it was advancing the timing, that's when the had to put a new regulator in it and it ran like a champ. i was having extremely hard starts, hard warm starts, lots of white smoke, and then at the end when she went south the advance piston was seized to the case and had to be driven out with a mallet, i watched it come apart. so id still recomend givin pdr a call and asking them if the replaced the case presure regulator, what the advance piston looked like, if its possible, and what it was doin on the test stand. just my .02 cents
Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...15&postcount=9

Lane called it the control valve, aka the case pressure regulator
Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 AM

Ok, it sounds like I am having nearly exactly the same symptoms as you. Can I just remove the control valve from my old pump and swap it over?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Also, BC847 posted a picture of the timing gears exposed when he advanced his IP a tooth. Does anyone have that picture? It shoed the letters on the gears and where they needed to be at for the timing to be right. I would like to show it to the shop so they can check to see if the timing is or isn't retarded a tooth.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:19 PM

A bunch of finger pointing is going on. PDR claims the install is wrong, the shop claims something is wrong with the pump.

For $1800, one would think nothing would be wrong it.

I told him to try swapping out the case pressure regulator from the original pump. PDR told him to check pop pressures on the injectors, which he is going to do if the regulator swap does nothing. The injectors are only a year old, and they worked fine before the truck came into the shop, so I doubt its that. If neither of those solutions work, he's going to pull the pump and ship it off to his pump guy to have it checked out.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Regardless of who is at fault, you should not have to pay 1 penny of the extra.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:10 PM

Well, if it's an install error (if they admit it), I wouldn't expect to.

If something is wrong with the pump, it's not the shop's fault.

It's pretty frustrating either way. I have no wheels right now and am borrowing a work truck from my bro.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:25 PM
366 Spring Chicken

If its a PDR error submit a work order claim from the shop. PDR will have to pay the shop for the extra labor and test's if in fact there pump is the problem. If the shop frigged up something then its there problem for any of the pump damage that may have occured. Thats just the way it is. Someone is at fault. You bought the pump and are paying to get it installed so you should be out of the loop money wise.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:05 PM

I'm at a loss here.

The shop decided to pull my injectors and pop test them. They said 4 of them were not working right, spray pattern was all screwed up. They claim some kind of metal could have been passed through the injectors.

So, I'm sending the injectors back to DDP to have them checked out, and sending the pump back to PDR to have it checked out.

This is a nightmare. I'm almost sick to my stomach. I didn't think something so simple could go so wrong.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
wow, what a pain. it's a shame you're having to go through all of this. hopefully things can get sorted out however, and you'll be in the clear when it's all said and done. if a piece or shavings of metal got pushed through the injectors, maybe it came from the pump. they wouldn't wanna hear it and they'd probably deny it was anything they did, but i'd bring that up to PDR.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Being blind of what has been said and done, my guess is the new pump had an issue and filled your sticks with crap from the pump. ( as jimbo said ) Its a guess but if the truck ran great before the pump ( injector wise ) and all of a sudden they don't run after the pump install, thats where I would look. Good luck on your nightmare.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks guys. I guess the plan will be to park the truck for awhile until I get some 6 x 16's, then just run the original IP with them, but keep the fuel screw near the normal position. I think I may be able to reach my goals with that setup..
Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 PM

A quick way to check if yer off a tooth is to set the timing pin and do this in the photos

Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM

Pump on it's way back to PDR for tech inspection.

DDP4's have been sold. Looking for new injectors. Probably 5 x 14's or maybe a 6 hole custom size in 13 or 14.

I have to pay for them to install an injection pump again.

Quick Reply: Injector Pump installation woes