1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Infamous HVAC cleaning pics....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infamous HVAC cleaning pics....

Okay guys,

Promised the pictures from the HVAC project yesterday. Here is the cut made with a Dremel and the contents inside:

....and here is the contents on the driveway just from hand scooping and cleaning:

So I have seen and read of many ways to cover the area after the project is finished. I wanted to go with something "cheap" yet fairly cool. I opted to spend $6.99 on ebay for a black plastic license plate with a chrome "Cummins" logo. It was cheap, fit perfect and flexed to the contour of the area. I grapped 4 screws from the garage and Voila. Cheap, clean and cool enough for my standards. Just wanted to throw an inexpensive idea to the DTR brethren.

Take care all and as always thanks for everything!

David
Old 07-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
atta boy!! took the idea for the cummins "c" from me! lol jk
Old 07-26-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfordd

That is just cool.

There are lots of neat applications for such a plate.

Although that is quite a bit of trash, you didn't have 1/10th the garbage that I found in the air-box on the wife's truck.

It was stuffed completely full and packed in tight.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Thats all you found in there? I was floored at the qty of leaves and the nest of mice etc that was in the last one I did. I used the super sweet chrome-look foil tape to cover the hole...

On a side note, my old Ford p/u has the blower motor resistor inside that airbox. Because of that location there is the not so cool feature of the leaves, rats nests etc sparking to life when the resistor eventually heats up enough to light the dry leafy this and thats. It makes for an interesting moment or two as the smoke starts to roll out of the defroster ducts etc. I jumped out and dumped a jug of windshield washer fluid down the cowl and got the fire put out... Then on to the hardware store to get fire extinguishers for all my vehicles...
Old 07-26-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats sweet
Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by sdstriper
my old Ford p/u has the blower motor resistor inside that airbox. Because of that location there is the not so cool feature of the leaves, rats nests etc sparking to life when the resistor eventually heats up enough to light the dry leafy this and thats.

Air duct fires are all to common, especially in the Fords.

Usually, it has been warning the driver for a couple years, before it finally ignites.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Air duct fires are all to common, especially in the Fords.

Usually, it has been warning the driver for a couple years, before it finally ignites.
Yep, If you own a Ford and are wondering who has the cahones to burn leaves in June you better consider an airbox cleanout...
Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 PM

I probably did Jimbo. I have been in the surf industry for a long time so i am "logo" driven!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good
Old 07-27-2009, 01:02 AM

How hard is it to take appart the ducting and clean it?

I dont really wanna cut up my truck to much, unless it involves twins
Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 AM

I used a roto zip on the last one, set the cutter shallow and it took maybe 5 seconds...

Look at that 1st photo, that's it, nothing more.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:18 AM

There's no other way to get in there besides cutting it open ?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Sure there is, on the right side you will see the vent where inside air is drawn in from, I used a fine tooth hacksaw blade and I cut out I think the top 3 louvers that is above the line of the dash.

Now from on the ground on the passenger’s side it is easy to reach into the air box with a vacuum attachment made out of a short section of 3/4" waterproof Electrical Flex also called Seal-Tite taped to the hose of my Shop Vacuum.

You can bend the tube and it will pretty much stay that way as you go fishing for the trash.

I know I do not have big hands but it is easy for me to reach into the front of the air box and retrieve any trash.

The only downside to doing it this way is one time the blower stopped blowing even tough the motor was still running and I found that I had sucked a big wad of paper napkins off the floor into the air box and they stuck against the evaporator coil.

I also have half sucked in the sleeve of my daughter’s sweater into the air box but that was easy to pull out.

With the blower motor on a relay there is a lot of air being drawn through the vent enough to suck in anything that is floating around in its vicinity.

Also if you cut out the top of the vent it is easy to look into the air box with an inspection mirror and a flashlight, you can also drop down your glove box and reach it from the topside.

Jim
Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my truck, someone had already graciously put their foot through mine, and it was all glued back together. It all just crumbled apart. There wasn't much junk in there, just a bit. I took some thin gauge brushed stainless steel from the scrap bin at work and bent it up. Add some Big Stretch caulk and those nasty sharp little sheet metal screws - Viola! I like the clever use of the Cummins tag though... H.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM

thats sick looking!

i like that idea!

im stealing your patent ahahahaha

Quick Reply: Infamous HVAC cleaning pics....