1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Indiana Diesel Expert Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indiana Diesel Expert Needed

Well im home for the weekend again, and went out and started my truck, it knocks like crazy, white/blue/gray smokes all the time. Does anyone think they could diagnoise it over the phone? Or any local guys wanna swing by and help me out?

any help is great
Old 02-16-2006, 05:59 PM

Diesel help in Indiana

Check the fuel filter for water. And may have water in the fuel lines. My diesel tractor did the same thing. javahjoeo from Kokomo
Old 02-16-2006, 08:17 PM

Grid heater hooked up? No other changes done while the head was off, such as tune or adjust the fuel pump?

Cummins book say: Engine noise excessive- combustion knocks- a)cold starting aid malfun, b)fuel grade is not correct or quality is poor, c)AIR IN FUEL SYSTEM, d)coolant temp above spec, e)injector malfun, f)overhead adjustments not correct.

Engine runs rough at idle- a)engine is cold, b)idle speed is too low, c)engine mounts worn/loose, d)fuel leak, e)AIR IN FUEL SYSTEM, f)fuel filter or inlet restriction, g)fuel transfer pump malfun, h)injection pump timing not correct, i)valves are not sealing correctly, j)engine compression low, k)injector malfun, l)fuel injection pump malfun.

You notice Cummins puts the injectors down low in the problem diagnosis. Your buddy thinks they are the problem, I would say not. You did remove them prior to pulling the head- ie no damage to the tips? Only one sealing washer of same size under each injector?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:11 PM

only change was smaller injector washers. im gonna turn my fuel down a bit and try that, i just bleed the injectors, i had my brother start the truck, and i cracked them open one at a time it cleaned up some of the roughness. im gonna change my oil again and what not.