1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ID a tranny noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:30 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Bigragu, thanks for the valve body tips. I've not removed the tranny yet. Everything has been done in the truck so far.

Today I adjusted the front kickdown since it is outside the trans and I hadn't done it while the pan was dropped. Now the truck won't hardly go in reverse! It feels like I'm holding the brakes. All I did was drive to my shop and adjust the front kickdown per the manual (72inchpounds), didn't even apply the parking brake.

What exactly does the front kickdown do anyway?
Old 07-22-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Bigragu, thanks for the valve body tips. I've not removed the tranny yet. Everything has been done in the truck so far.

Today I adjusted the front kickdown since it is outside the trans and I hadn't done it while the pan was dropped. Now the truck won't hardly go in reverse! It feels like I'm holding the brakes. All I did was drive to my shop and adjust the front kickdown per the manual (72inchpounds), didn't even apply the parking brake.

What exactly does the front kickdown do anyway?
Did you back off that bolt after you torqued it down? I can't remember, but for some reason torque down to 72 lbs. inch, then for our trucks, it's like back off the bolt counterclockwise 2.5 turns, then lock it down with that lock nut. KRB, don't quote me on it, the number of turns counterclockwise. It's in the sticky, and also in the FSM. I'm betting that you didn't back that bolt off the required amount of turns.
Look in the sticky, under DzlDamon's tread called- " let's adjust our bands and line pressures" or something like that. He lays out the correct number of turns on those bolts, after they're torqued to that 72 lbs. inch
Old 07-22-2017, 07:28 PM
KRB

Oh crap, yea you are right! I forgot to back it off!
Whew, thanks. I'll do that and see. That's what happens when you chase loose cows in 90 degree weather and heat index of 101 and then go working on old iron, the mind forgets...
And you just took a load off mine!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Oh crap, yea you are right! I forgot to back it off!
Whew, thanks. I'll do that and see. That's what happens when you chase loose cows in 90 degree weather and heat index of 101 and then go working on old iron, the mind forgets...
And you just took a load off mine!
Did you find out the number of turns out? If you don't know, I'll post up a pic of the page in the fsm that states it. Let me know if you need that info
Old 07-22-2017, 07:39 PM

Last time I chased down cows, was on a cow elk hunt in Utah back in 2007. Man, that was a blast. There were ten of us, and we each limited out within three days of a week hunt. 2,600 lbs of good tasting elk meat. Those really large, 5' long coolers that Costco has? We each filled ours up. That's how much steak and burgers we had out of that hunt.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:06 PM
KRB

FSM said 2.5 and dude, you rock, that was it! I'm back in the saddle now.

Nothing like fresh meat huh? We get deer here, the elk are in the eastern, mountainous part of the state but not had any yet. We harvest a grass finished steer for most of our meat and supplement with a couple deer.

Thanks for catching my oversight, you saved me some worries.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:08 PM

No problem. Hope you find out about that noise
Old 07-29-2017, 06:27 AM
KRB

Well the Great Spirit does in deed watch over babies and fools.

Just got back from a round trip run of 575 miles to western KY and back to help move my daughter.

Truck did great. Only had maybe 700-800 pounds payload. At lows 70s mph and 1.8-2K rpms the tranny stayed at 160-180* even though it was in the mid 90s outside. Noise is still there. No worse, no better.

Just fyi but EGTs stayed around 600* at cruise, fuel at 7-8psi and I only got a little better that 17mpg but that was with the AC on even though it barely works.

Now I'm wondering if it is really is a new noise or if I'm just noticing it due to adding a muffler? I installed a Diamond Eye 4" a while back, probably about the same time I first noticed the noise but not entirely sure (I only drive the truck when I need a truck, I have a Corolla wagon for a DD). Nobody else comments on the noise and I wouldn't think anything of it either if it were an older truck, sounds just like a drive train.

Seems to get louder in 3rd & 4th and then goes away in OD. I'll keep investigating possibilities and see what the oil analysis says.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Seems to get louder in 3rd & 4th and then goes away in OD. I'll keep investigating possibilities and see what the oil analysis says.
OD is your 4th gear, your transmission has 1 2 3 and overdrive.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:40 PM
KRB

Good catch, I meant 2nd & 3rd.

Anybody know if the 205 transfer case still spins some in 2wd, even if not engaged? The level is correct but the fluid is old. It needs to be changed anyway, so I'll do that today.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Well the Great Spirit does in deed watch over babies and fools.

Just got back from a round trip run of 575 miles to western KY and back to help move my daughter.

Truck did great. Only had maybe 700-800 pounds payload. At lows 70s mph and 1.8-2K rpms the tranny stayed at 160-180* even though it was in the mid 90s outside. Noise is still there. No worse, no better.

Just fyi but EGTs stayed around 600* at cruise, fuel at 7-8psi and I only got a little better that 17mpg but that was with the AC on even though it barely works.

Now I'm wondering if it is really is a new noise or if I'm just noticing it due to adding a muffler? I installed a Diamond Eye 4" a while back, probably about the same time I first noticed the noise but not entirely sure (I only drive the truck when I need a truck, I have a Corolla wagon for a DD). Nobody else comments on the noise and I wouldn't think anything of it either if it were an older truck, sounds just like a drive train.

KRB- on 4" exhaust systems for the W series, the offset that comes after the down pipe is at a tight spot, between the transfer case and the frame. Depending on how it was oriented previous to tightening up all the hangers and exhaust clamps, it can rattle against the frame or the transfer case. If you had recently installed a muffler, that would be one of the first places I'd check. Push on that piping, back and forth, to see if there's any chance of it rattling. Also, the way the truck contorts, could make a sound come about on that exhaust. Every time I backed down to my trailer in San Jose for work, for some reason, in reverse, that offset pipe would rattle onto the floorboard, creating a vibration type drone.

Seems that installing a muffler could have jarred that exhaust against something, causing a rattle.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:34 AM
KRB

Well you just hit on my first thought.

When I adjusted it away from the transfer it would hit the frame and vice versa. Once I tightened everything down I thought I had the difference split but it was just a hair away from the frame. I squeezed a piece of split rubber hose in between there but it didn't change the noise I don't think. Guess I should take it off and give it a couple good whacks with the hammer. So far been too lazy for that...

Yesterday I drained the transfer case and filled with fresh synthetic 85w 140. Old looked pretty darn clean for 10 year old fluid.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:54 AM
KRB

Update

Originally Posted by bigragu
KRB- contact Blackstone Labs @ (260)744-2380, and have them send you a test kit. When you drain your old fluid, save about half a quart, and when the test kit arrives send them a sample. It costs $28 for an analysis to be done, and they will be able to detect any out of the ordinary going ons in your tranny. There is no cost for the test kits to be shipped. I always ask for four at a time. You send a check to them when you send in your sample.
Finally got my report back from Blackstone and all was good. No detectable metals, no moisture etc. They said, according to the sample provided, all is well.

Soooo, still have the noise but not as worried about it now - but still worried. I'll keep tracking it and checking things. As soon as I get my M880 back up and running I'll be able to look more into this more. Based on yourall's suggestions I'll concentrate on the OD unit and the crankshaft bearing first.

Thanks to all that have offered help.
The following 2 users liked this post by KRB:
bigragu (09-15-2017), nonrev (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm wondering about the crankshaft end play. I've heard that the engine's thrust bearing can fail, which might cause the flex plate to rub the adapter.
Maybe check the end play with a small pry bar or screwdriver and see if there is too much play.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jim5870
I'm wondering about the crankshaft end play. I've heard that the engine's thrust bearing can fail, which might cause the flex plate to rub the adapter.
Maybe check the end play with a small pry bar or screwdriver and see if there is too much play.
Jim, I believe he's already checked the end play, and if it was his thrust bearing the wear metals would have shown in his recent oil analysis.

I like that you suggested that, the crankshaft thrust bearing failure, cause I believe with the average amount of high miles that or on these engines, that the original 3 piece thrust bearing has lived it's life in these trucks. I've mentioned many times in other treads about my recent repair on that, and a lot of noise has since disappeared in the idle since that repair. Kinda makes me wonder how long I was running around in that truck with a damaged thrust bearing. Got lucky that it didn't do catastrophic damage.

Quick Reply: ID a tranny noise?