1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HX-35/40 vs. HX-40

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With less drive pressure, the effective charge is allowing the motor to make HP with the 40 vs the 35.

Even in a twins configuration, the 40 will net higher HP, as to the ability to keep the charge efficient, and keep drive pressures lower overall. The price of that is slower spool-up, by about 100-150 RPM.

The hybrid 35 with a 14cm housing and a modified internal WG would work good, if not as good as a 12cm housing with an external WG like a Tial 38mm.

By being able to adjust the timing of the WG opening, you can tune the twins to your power level. Very flexible that way.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
the wastgates (internal or external I don't understand the difference) on the hx 35 is for only three of the cylinders as well. a bigger b1 type turbo I heard has all six cylinders gated
It's easy to modify the HX-35 housing to wastegate all 6, I did it in a few minutes.

You can also hack the divider out with a die grinder like Northslope did.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

Yes as wanna said like this:
Old 02-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I'm gonna go with the 35/40 hybrid as the right choice....it is, in my opinion the most versatile and tunable setup you're going to find for our trucks/pumps....
The real issue is how far are you going to take the performance aspect....if you are going to head for the '500+' club then you may well be looking at "creeping into" the next turbo in line for your combo..
'Wanna is showing an effective way to keep your pressures under some measure of control by drilling or removing the center divider of the hot end...that works nicely and keeps your drive pressures down....this in concert with a wastegate will likely address most of your needs.
Keep in mind that the "true" HX40 uses the same shaft as the '35's. This is one reason why the '35 is so durable and take a real catkickin and hold up....
The larger rotational mass of the 40 can be a source of problems when pushed beyond the 40psi or so mark....they do twist shafts when beat on hard AND run hot....
As an aside, I also think you'll find a nice bit of 'selectivity' when it comes to hot end choices too...you can do some mixing and matching to alter your response and drive pressures by using the drill out/wastegate/housing size combo's to fit your needs...

just my personal thought's here...

pb...