1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bill-d-c
I understand what you guys are saying about maintenance. However, most of the list has very little to do with routine maintenance. For example: you don't replace a pinion seal that doesn't leak, a TPS that's working properly, Fan/clutch assembly, battery that is still good, gaskets that don't leak don't get replaced, radiators don't get pulled and repaired that don't leak, CC servo's don't get replaced unless they're not working, ignition switches usually last forever, fuel shutoff solenoid's aren't replaced during routine maintenance. Most of the list is just crap going wrong, one after another.
Bill
You're correct in saying that you don't replace a lot of those items in the name of 'routine maintenance', but all those parts have a useable service life just like anything else. And most of those things could have been broken and ignored by the previous owner.

I'm like you; I want things to work the way they were intended to work and I do not want any leaks, but I wouldn't consider the things you've replaced to be excessive for the amount of miles on the truck. The TPS for example is a common replacement item. I did mine at least 5 times while I owned the truck, (I bought it new in 93 and sold it in 2006 with a zillion miles on it). There are solutions to the TPS problem tho, detailed on this site. Most of the common problems with these older trucks can be more or less permanently solved with solutions you will find here!

Last year I bought a used International 9200 road tractor. I've put more into that truck than I paid for it over the last year. And the previous owner was running it every day, making a living with it. And now I'm looking at an in-frame rebuild on the engine.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parts

I see Iam not the only one that has replace some parts on there truck. But how I figure it out is what i paid for my truck. I cant complain about it. If I would take only take half of what it would cost to buy a new dodge and put that in my truck I know my truck would last longer than a new one. Even not putting half of what it would cost for a new one my truck today would still last longer than a new one if I bought it. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 AM

for what i paid for mine. I didn't do to bad. The clutch started slipping because i juiced up the power.....

The PO of my truck really tried to take care of it mechanically. But towing 20,000 lbs every day of it's life took it's toll. The transmission was not setup correctly since he rebuilt it, so that blew up a week after putting my new clutch in.

He did the brake system good, but the rear shoes got soaked in gear oil because the seals leak.

already had a custom built heavy driveshaft, I had to rebuild the front one. the double CV joint was all clapped out.......

the steering was FLAWLESS when i got it, the PO had put a borgeson shaft on it. Now the steering box is popping and crackling when i turn. there's play in every part of the steering now too.

Overall besides the trans randomly blowing to pieces, hasn't been bad. I've been driving it since March.

Oh and the fuel heater caught on fire and fried all of that wiring and melted others. my 2nd day of ownership
Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I parked mine last week and let it sit at -45* for a good 7 days or so. Plugged it in last night a it lit right off in the mornin without hesitation..... Plenty reliable.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paid $1800. I put $2000 into mine to get it road worthy. Then a year later another $3500 to convert to 4WD. Not the best financial decision.

But still better then a payment... on a vehicle the deprecates in value... when my 1st gen doesn't.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
for what i paid for mine. I didn't do to bad. The clutch started slipping because i juiced up the power.....

The PO of my truck really tried to take care of it mechanically. But towing 20,000 lbs every day of it's life took it's toll. The transmission was not setup correctly since he rebuilt it, so that blew up a week after putting my new clutch in.

He did the brake system good, but the rear shoes got soaked in gear oil because the seals leak.

already had a custom built heavy driveshaft, I had to rebuild the front one. the double CV joint was all clapped out.......

the steering was FLAWLESS when i got it, the PO had put a borgeson shaft on it. Now the steering box is popping and crackling when i turn. there's play in every part of the steering now too.

Overall besides the trans randomly blowing to pieces, hasn't been bad. I've been driving it since March.

Oh and the fuel heater caught on fire and fried all of that wiring and melted others. my 2nd day of ownership
HOLY SMOKE!!!
I mean literally, holy smoke. Well I guess that puts things into perspective. None of my repairs have been terribly expensive except the A/C. It hadn't worked for years so needed everything. I'm just trying to get a reasonable degree of reliability out of the thing. Seems like for every hour I drive it, I spend 30 minutes repairing what broke/quit/leaks. It's a hoot to drive when it's running though.
Bill
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 AM

I'm just glad to be driving a cummins really, Kids at school paid what i paid for a 4 cylinder ranger their parents made them get.

it is cool telling people all that I've done to it, plus buying it. and they're like WTH how do you afford that at age 17? welll let me tell ya it's hard.....but it's awesome to have. and once i get my plow brackets and start going to college in Central jersey, maybe the ol' girl will make me a buck.

It served the previous owner for years and years and years, so it shall continue with me. he towed goosneck with it, salted with it, plowed with it, Some day 5-6 years down the road from now. I hope to have a 4th gen sitting in my driveway and my 91' as my toy. I often hear my dad say how much he misses his high school vehicle, so i'm gonna try to keep mine

IMO, it's worth every penny i put in it.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Banned

I bet it is hard. You've done alot to your truck, most of which isn't cheap to do. The up side of it, you probably know more about these trucks than most do, probably more than any other 17 year old. I'm learning as I go. I've owned about 12-15 diesel trucks in my life (I'm 59). I've just never had one that required this much work.
Bill
Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Reality is this.

If you buy a truck and it costs you $10-15K to make it top condition, and the frame & / or body isn't rotting away, then these trucks are well worth the expense and time to rebuild. I've got about $13k into mine, including the purchase price, and I can't go out and buy a new one for that much...

Every single time I get in that truck, I'm happy..... even with my popping steering gear...
Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Reality is this.

If you buy a truck and it costs you $10-15K to make it top condition, and the frame & / or body isn't rotting away, then these trucks are well worth the expense and time to rebuild. I've got about $13k into mine, including the purchase price, and I can't go out and buy a new one for that much...

Every single time I get in that truck, I'm happy..... even with my popping steering gear...
That is the truth, the only people that make money on vehicles are the ultra rich dealing in high end classics. The point is that you have to spend money on your vehicle to make it reliable. My girl friend wants me to get a new truck, until I mention that the one I want is going to cost 40k or more, and I will still have to put money into it. Even when my truck has failed, it hasn't stranded me. The closest was when it spit out the clutch slave cylinder guts in Nogales. I fixed it on the spot with jb weld and I am still driving on the repair about 7 years later. The rule is to buy the best vehicle that you can afford, especially in classics, because fixng them into reliable condition can be expensive. My opinion as usual...Mark
Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 PM

So far, I have $25,500 into Max (including purchase price and all of my WVO filtration & pumping systems as well as the various bulk storage containers.)
I have $12,500 in fuel savings to date (pre-tax.)
Therefore, I figure the repairs/upgrades/improvements I am making are all being subsidized by my alternative fuel consumption. I cannot wait for the day to arrive when I am ahead of the financial curve! $10-K for the truck now, and I break even. I figure another 25 to 30 thousand miles and I am ahead (barring any more repairs/rebuilds.) However, as I posted before, I am do for a complete suspension overall in the spring/summer. Any takers?
In addition, I am learning a great deal about my Cummins both mechanically and how it relates to WVO usage (waste vegetable oil.)
Now, I am going to convert my 2003 7.3 (if I ever find the time.)
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Been driving mine 10 years and as far as had to replace parts I have did very little.

New front brake pads twice
Ball Joints once
Starter once
Throttle Cable once
Transmission input shaft and bearing once
Rear wheel cylinder on one side

I pull my 5th wheel camper all over the country and it has never let me down yet. I am leaving in the spring to go to New Mexico for the summer again this year and I consider it very reliable, never had another truck run so long and hard and still no problems to speak of. I have 235,000 on it now and had 145,000 when I bought it ten years ago.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned

I'm hoping that eventually I can get mine that reliable. It sure as heck isn't now though. Reliable to me is being able to jump in it at any time and feel comfortable that the truck will get me where I'm going and back again. And, I don't want to take half a parts store and most of my tools with me to do it. I'm chipping away at this goal, but would I take this truck out of state right now...no way! Not without a cell phone (which I don't have, and a AAA membership, which I don't have).
Bill
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM

I think you might be the only guy in america without a cell phone
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bill-d-c
And, I don't want to take half a parts store and most of my tools with me to do it. Bill
There is no such vehicle that is 100% reliable, or any mechanical equipment, for that matter. Every one of my vehicles has enough tools and spare parts to get me down the road, barring major failure. Just my opinion, but I want to be prepared enough to get my own hiney down the road, when stuff fails...Mark

Quick Reply: How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really