1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really

Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see what you're saying. Usually the fix is simple and not terribly expensive (although it can be). With the exception of a couple trucks, I've driven old junk my whole life. I just prefer it that way. Don't worry to much if something happens to the truck, plus they're usually easy to fix. But all kiddin' aside, I've never had one that you have to fool with constantly like this one. I've never had one that I felt like I needed to take an arsenal of spare parts with me to leave town, or in my case, don't take that truck very far from home. Guys have talked about maintenance and "routine maintenance". About the only thing I might of caught ahead of time would have been the radiator hoses. For example, the radiator had to be pulled and repaired because the lower rubber grommets had pretty much rotted away leaving metal to metal, rubbing a hole in the bottom of the radiator. Routine maintenance to me is oil and all filters, check and change fluids, grease jobs. Not stuff like pulling a radiator to check grommets, pulling the trans to see if the rear main might begin to leak in the near future, dropping the pan to retorque main and rod bearings. I've been lucky in the past I guess. When I used to run hunt tests and field trials, I drove all over the central US with these old junkers and never took so much as a screwdriver with me. That was the point of this thread, not to trash these trucks, we all love em' or we wouldn't own them. Just to find out, is this normal for these trucks or , like I said, am I just lucky. I think/hope this truck can be reliable some day, but until then, I have the Toyota PU.
Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bill-d-c
I see what you're saying. Usually the fix is simple and not terribly expensive (although it can be). With the exception of a couple trucks, I've driven old junk my whole life. I just prefer it that way. Don't worry to much if something happens to the truck, plus they're usually easy to fix. But all kiddin' aside, I've never had one that you have to fool with constantly like this one. I've never had one that I felt like I needed to take an arsenal of spare parts with me to leave town, or in my case, don't take that truck very far from home. Guys have talked about maintenance and "routine maintenance". About the only thing I might of caught ahead of time would have been the radiator hoses. For example, the radiator had to be pulled and repaired because the lower rubber grommets had pretty much rotted away leaving metal to metal, rubbing a hole in the bottom of the radiator. Routine maintenance to me is oil and all filters, check and change fluids, grease jobs. Not stuff like pulling a radiator to check grommets, pulling the trans to see if the rear main might begin to leak in the near future, dropping the pan to retorque main and rod bearings. I've been lucky in the past I guess. When I used to run hunt tests and field trials, I drove all over the central US with these old junkers and never took so much as a screwdriver with me. I think/hope this truck can be that reliable some day, but until then, I have the Toyota PU.
Bill

Bill, I hear what you say about the toyotas and such, but what I see as the difference is that rarely are they driven a quarter million miles, while towing 10000 lbs. I really have never been a dodge fan, per se, the only other one I have owned was a 1965 dart. Obviously the difference is the cummins and I always say that the cummins is going to bury me and the truck. I don't think that rubber under the rad falls under maintenance but can certainly fail. The good news is that they tend not to strand you, just give you nagging little problems. I finally solved my brake problems by finally putting a disk conversion and dumping the drums, which I believe are the root of many of the brake problems. It is all relative, I love my 66 porsche, it is very reliable, but virtually any failure will strand me for a while just because you cannot go to autozone and buy parts for it. Besides, you have plenty of time to work on it......Mark
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Banned

That's true, I do have extra time...good thing, too! No, here's the deal, I like the truck, I like it alot. That's why it's my daily driver. I've wanted one for years, probably since the mid to late 90's. However, you can still like something and have it be a pain in the behind. You don't believe me, ask my wife.
Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Administrator

That's true, I do have extra time...good thing, too! No, here's the deal, I like the truck, I like it alot. That's why it's my daily driver. I've wanted one for years, probably since the mid to late 90's. However, you can still like something and have it be a pain in the behind. You don't believe me, ask my wife.
Bill
Boy howdy, ain't that the truth, the things in my life that have given me the most pleasure have also given me the most grief...Mark
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM

I always heard if it has teats or wheels it will give you problems
Old 01-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maybe368
Boy howdy, ain't that the truth, the things in my life that have given me the most pleasure have also given me the most grief...Mark
Boy did you hit the nail on the head on that! I have a 5 year old girl, my wife and I's first (and only) child. Now, I know what you're thinking, Bill you old fart you...what were you thinkin!! I guess I'm just a slow learner. Most of the time she's an absolute hoot, but there are times when......well you probably know what I mean. But now that I think about it, maybe this is fate, a ment-to-be kinda thing that I have this truck that seems to want to come unglued at the seams on a regular basis. It's a built in excuse machine you see. I simply say, "Honey, while I'd love to play color tag with you another 30 times, Daddys truck is pukein' oil all over the shop floor and I really need to get out there and fix it". It all makes perfect sense now.
Bill

Longshot, I've heard that before, yet another true statement.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Boy did you hit the nail on the head on that! I have a 5 year old girl, my wife and I's first (and only) child. Now, I know what you're thinking, Bill you old fart you...what were you thinkin!! I guess I'm just a slow learner. Most of the time she's an absolute hoot, but there are times when......well you probably know what I mean. But now that I think about it, maybe this is fate, a ment-to-be kinda thing that I have this truck that seems to want to come unglued at the seams on a regular basis. It's a built in excuse machine you see. I simply say, "Honey, while I'd love to play color tag with you another 30 times, Daddys truck is pukein' oil all over the shop floor and I really need to get out there and fix it". It all makes perfect sense now.
Bill

Longshot, I've heard that before, yet another true statement.
Wow, I have heard many tales involving retired FFs, but none that involved 5 year olds that weren't grand children. I only have 1 thing to say que Juevos tienes......Mark
Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 PM

Well heres my 2 cents compare a truck of 06 and newer and see how many routine problems they have not near as many because they are almost new and by that point the truck was more designed around the Cummins engine than the engine being dropped in as an after-thought meaning gasser parts are not designed for a much heavier engine and our trucks are almost classics haha
Old 01-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned

OK, I'm not sure what "que Juevos tienes" means. But, if I had to guess I'd say "do you have a rock where your head is suppose to be", or "are you in the beginning stages of dementia and just don't know it yet". When my 5 year old gets home, I'll ask her (she watches Dora so she might know).
Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DJ Turbo.
Well heres my 2 cents compare a truck of 06 and newer and see how many routine problems they have not near as many because they are almost new and by that point the truck was more designed around the Cummins engine than the engine being dropped in as an after-thought meaning gasser parts are not designed for a much heavier engine and our trucks are almost classics haha
That is not quite accurate, check here . As I understand it, dodge took great pains at the time to build a truck for the engine, as opposed to ford and chevy that did as you said, changed gasser technology to make a diesel. I believe that the manual trans, non-ic early trucks are bomb proof. Remember that 2006 is many years after 1989 and they had the history of the early trucks to improve on them. That is if you think that all that computer and plastic stuff is an improvement...Mark
Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Administrator

OK, I'm not sure what "que Juevos tienes" means. But, if I had to guess I'd say "do you have a rock where your head is suppose to be", or "are you in the beginning stages of dementia and just don't know it yet". When my 5 year old gets home, I'll ask her (she watches Dora so she might know).
Bill
close, it means that you have rocks, just not in your head...Mark
Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 PM

That short history article was interesting. Hard to believe the Cummins option amounted to an additional cost of only $2,043 back then. Even with time adjusted dollars, what a value.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
OH i get it now Bill, your old truck is teaching you patience and perseverance for when the time come and you have a teenage daughter that is bring home boys.. start getting ready......it's fun

Dar
Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
OH i get it now Bill, your old truck is teaching you patience and perseverance for when the time come and you have a teenage daughter that is bring home boys.. start getting ready......it's fun

Dar
That may be true, but I have an advantage that most of you don't (old age). There is a chance that I might not even be alive when the time comes that she hauls home some knuckle dragger. At the very least, I'm sure by then I'll be completly oblivious to my surroundings by then. So see, there is a method to my madness.
Bill
Besides, I make sure she eats alot of sweets and fatty foods. Sure, she might get teased when she gets older, but she'll be home on Friday nights.

I'm just kiddin' bout that. Don't call child custody or PITA or anyone else...just a joke (some guys on the forum are wound pretty tight).
Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
That is not quite accurate, check here . As I understand it, dodge took great pains at the time to build a truck for the engine, as opposed to ford and chevy that did as you said, changed gasser technology to make a diesel. I believe that the manual trans, non-ic early trucks are bomb proof. Remember that 2006 is many years after 1989 and they had the history of the early trucks to improve on them. That is if you think that all that computer and plastic stuff is an improvement...Mark
No I'm not saying the plastic has been improved but the 5.9 did evolve and u have to agree that from 89-93 the truck minus the engine and and the 5 speed was not overly well designed for the motor the 327 was a gasser tranny not designed to take the power and torque of the Cummins it endured it but not overly well and I know of tons of the 4 speeds that failed but other than that they are near industructable

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really