1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help troubleshoot my shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
Help troubleshoot my shimmy

I’ve tried a search but to no avail. My tires are new, just replaced the drag link, rotors were turned a couple years ago. Steering box is tight, no frame cracks. Everything else seems tight but something obviously isn’t. Truck has about 175K with no hard service.

The truck shakes back and forth when braking - sometimes. Can be made to go away if steered left or right. Can't feel it in the brake pedal, only the steering wheel. The times it doesn't shimmy it stops normal with out any pulsing or shaking. Never happens when just driving normal, only under braking and only sometimes but especially when going downhill…

My first thought was warped rotors but I’d feel that in the pedal wouldn’t I? From reading various posts (which don’t address my issues specifically) I’m thinking tie rod ends? Spring shackles? Kingpins? Anybody experienced this before?

Thanks,
Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
I’ve tried a search but to no avail. My tires are new, just replaced the drag link, rotors were turned a couple years ago. Steering box is tight, no frame cracks. Everything else seems tight but something obviously isn’t. Truck has about 175K with no hard service.

The truck shakes back and forth when braking - sometimes. Can be made to go away if steered left or right. Can't feel it in the brake pedal, only the steering wheel. The times it doesn't shimmy it stops normal with out any pulsing or shaking. Never happens when just driving normal, only under braking and only sometimes but especially when going downhill…

My first thought was warped rotors but I’d feel that in the pedal wouldn’t I? From reading various posts (which don’t address my issues specifically) I’m thinking tie rod ends? Spring shackles? Kingpins? Anybody experienced this before?

Thanks,

Search "death wobble". I fixed mine with new king pins, bushings and front u-joints. My kingpins were shot...Mark
Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calipers? ?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Search "death wobble". I fixed mine with new king pins, bushings and front u-joints. My kingpins were shot...Mark
x2, i'm putting money on king pins and front spring bushings...my 92 needed both and then when i dropped the front spring on the DS front, the shackle spring hole itself was wallered out from the PO not taking care of it when he had it.

James
Old 09-17-2011, 04:52 AM
KRB

I'm familiar with the infamous Death Wobble but always thought that occured at a certain speed or while cruising, not while braking?

Funny you should mention calipers. I was going to post another thread on brakes as the last two times I've worn out the inboard disc WAY before the outbord pad even though I've got everything greased up good with anti-sieze.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KRB
I'm familiar with the infamous Death Wobble but always thought that occured at a certain speed or while cruising, not while braking?

Funny you should mention calipers. I was going to post another thread on brakes as the last two times I've worn out the inboard disc WAY before the outbord pad even though I've got everything greased up good with anti-sieze.
My death wobble was EXCLUSIVELY when I was braking. I think anything that changes the geometry of the suspension can cause it.That said, it does sound like your caliper pistons are seized..Mark
Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go check your frame area out at the Power steering pump. Make sure the the frame isnt cracked in that area. That was a common problem with these trucks.

If I had to guess, it has something to do with your brake system. Mine is just starting to do it too. Only under braking conditions. I am going to replace both rotors and brake calipers with brake pads and go from there.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
Go check your frame area out at the Power steering pump. Make sure the the frame isnt cracked in that area. That was a common problem with these trucks.

If I had to guess, it has something to do with your brake system. Mine is just starting to do it too. Only under braking conditions. I am going to replace both rotors and brake calipers with brake pads and go from there.
A bad braking system would not cause a shimmy in an intact suspension system, it would just stop badly, IMO. The brakes could just be the trigger, but there are worn parts in the suspension. It is very easy to check the king pins, see here ...Mark
Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 AM
KRB

Well the calipers wer replaced only a couple years ago (3-4?) with OEMs, but I guess they could still be sticking...

What does the spring on the king pin do exactly? I noticed when I was replacing the drag link (which did have play) that I could move the hub up & down vertically on the king pin axis.

Great Dana link BTW, thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also wonder about the 'pot' joint, if it is about worn out ? Could there be enough play in the joint to let the steering/suspension just enough play to give you these symptoms?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KRB
Well the calipers wer replaced only a couple years ago (3-4?) with OEMs, but I guess they could still be sticking...

What does the spring on the king pin do exactly? I noticed when I was replacing the drag link (which did have play) that I could move the hub up & down vertically on the king pin axis.

Great Dana link BTW, thanks.
That spring is what puts squeeze on the bushing. It is the "loading" on the whole system. Do the front wheels turn easily? if so the calipers are probably not seized. You should not have any easy movement in the king pins. Probably shot bushings....Mark
Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Here is a write up from when I did mine...Mark
Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 PM
KRB

Originally Posted by maybe368
Here is a write up from when I did mine...Mark
Was already looking at that one! Thanks.

Tires turn freely.

Pot joint been replaced with a Borgeson.

Will re-examine the steering box/frame but looked fine earlier.