1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help!! Starter problem??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok here is another update. I replaced the battery and still NOTHING. when i turn the key to the ON position I get power to all the auxilary things such as radio, grid heater, parking brake and anti-lock brake lights and key buzzer as normal but when i turn the key to try and crank the engine I still get NOTHING at all. the truck doesnt even try to turn over. It seems like you guys are saying some sort of electrical problem, but I cannot seem to track this thing down. Where do I look for grounding wire problems??? I was also wondering about this shorting across two wire trick that bear killer wrote. I am a little confused what two wires you are referring to and I was also what I was short between I mean what do these two wires go to??? I was also wondering if I should go ahead and replace my cables or is there anything else you guys think it could be. Thank you so much for your help so far and the help you guys always provide.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 AM

Its the BRUSHES in the starter! A quick check, get under the truck and beat on the starter with a hammer a couple times, (if you're lucky) this will jar some of the starter brush residue off of the armature or whatever it's called inside and allow for cranking. But the hammer trick might only work once or not at all. On one truck I got by for about a month, the other, it did just like your's, it was dead, not even the hammer trick would work. I had to pull the starter in the COLD. I couldn't get it to fire one more time to pull into the shop.

Pull your starter, take it apart. You'll see your problem.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:18 PM

can i rebuild and replace those brushes and bearings you are talking about, i also had a friend saying something about rewinding?? my starter?? I was wondering if I could do all of that myself or if I had to have it done by someone. The starter shop closest to me said it would be 2 weeks before they could get to me and I need my truck now. Is there a kit I can buy like the starter solenoid kit or any part numbers would be real helpful. thanks guys
Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbike21
can i rebuild and replace those brushes and bearings you are talking about

--->https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=141395<---
Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 AM

yeah i looked at the sticky but it did not tell me where to get the kit or brushes and bearings or whatever i needed to rebuild the starter. it looks pretty easy, i just didnt know where to get the parts to try it. also i have done some more to the truck since last post. I short across that plug that you guys told me to and nothing happened at all. the truck just sits there totally asleep. i am beginning to think this is the starter completely gone out, but i do not want to jump the gun here. do you guys have anymore suggestions or ideas. thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CHECK TH CABLES!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 PM

i am sorry OFCMARC i should have posted that as well, i bought a whole new set of cables positive and negative, but it is still dead. thanks for all of yalls help though..i guess i will try to find those brushes and bearing replacements they used in the sticky article
Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 PM

i am sorry OFCMARC i should have posted that as well, i bought a whole new set of cables positive and negative, but it is still dead. thanks for all of yalls help though..i guess i will try to find those brushes and bearing replacements they used in the sticky article
No worries.

Perhaps the start circut in the ignition switch needs to be looked at.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:36 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Just so it's been asked (and I may have missed it), have you tried starting the truck with the shifter in neutral?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get nothing, and then later it just fires no problem, I think the most common problem will be the brushes in the starter motor, eventually they wear down to almost nothing, its a cheap fix... about $13 for brushes only.

If tapping on the starter helps the problem, the brushes are root cause.

Battery cables can fail internally due to corrosion, but it is difficult to diagnose. if messing with the battery connections helps, but it fails again a week later... its probably the cables.

You can always push start the truck too... i have done it my self, but it takes a lot of energy to get a 7000lb truck up to bumpstarting speed solo(on flat ground).... one trick that I learned the hard way is that you need to hold the fuel pedal to the floor to get a cummins VE to bump start,,, it will not bumpstart with the pedal in the idle position.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Junkie

one trick that I learned the hard way is that you need to hold the fuel pedal to the floor to get a cummins VE to bump start,,, it will not bumpstart with the pedal in the idle position.
??? say what???

The VE starts in Full fuel until the gov weights start spinning and cut back fuel.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesnt make sence to me either.... but try it... I tried 3 time to bump start with my foot off the pedal and nothing... tried it with the pedal on the floor and it jumped to life....

I have no idea why.

Anyone have any explanations?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I was also wondering about this shorting across two wire trick that bear killer wrote. I am a little confused what two wires you are referring to and I was also what I was short between I mean what do these two wires go to???

Providing the wiring at your HOT cable has not been monkeyed with and different from stock, there should be a pinkish-red wire and a brown wire (which is taped alongside the HOT cable), both terminating in a two-wire plug, proceeding from that plug to the starter relay on the left fender-wall.

To perform this test, un-plug that plug, exposing the contacts.

With truck OUT-OF-GEAR, take a section of wire and touch it to both contacts, ON THE SIDE OF THE PLUG WITH THE WIRE THAT PROCEEDS TO THE STARTER.

If the starter is OKAY, it should crank when you make this connection.

If nothing happens, then the problem is within the starter.

If it cranks, then start troubleshooting toward the relay, then the key-switch, etc.

Honestly, this starter-wire plug should be obvious, not something you have to hunt for.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 PM

yeah i found that wire and i tried that and got nothing, i have also tried starting it in neutral and nothing, i have replaced the battery cables so I know its not that, so i am pretty convinced it is the brushes and the start moter. can you guys tell me where to buy the brushes and the other parts i need to rebuild the starter?? thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 PM

get a buddy to hold a test lite at the starter end of the pos cable and try starting it. if the lite stays on and it doesn't crank or click i would say it is in the starter also have the friend repeat the test lite thing with the start term wire on the starter should lite up when trying to crank the engine.. cheaper than throwing things at it.

Quick Reply: Help!! Starter problem??