1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Headbolt hole stripped

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I didn't figure I'd say heck with it when I got a 1300 mile trip coming up at the beginning of october
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Its runnin again
Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Dude, I would've crapped myself if the threads in my block had stripped back when I did my headgasket!! Luckily you were able to find some heli-coils though. Usually once a gasket is used, you really can't use it again. But for the short time yours was in and maybe not even 2 heat cycles, you'll be fine to run it again.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah dude. I broke a bolt when torquing my head Saturday. Where do you get a head bolt on Saturday!? I took a 4.5 hour road trip to the twin cities to get one from my cousin, now I'm back in business. I did the whole 90* thing, then went back and torqued em all to 120. More? Less? Will be re-torquing on Friday. I have extra bolts too, but I don't wanna break another one for fear it doesn't come out as easy as the last one. lol
Old 09-06-2010, 11:48 PM

Randy did you check your bolts on a stretch guage or ring them?

I can tell when torquing a bolt if its getting soft, I'll pull it out if it is and try to ring it they usually make a thud after there stretched.

I torqued mine to 125 this time around, and will drive it this week and retorque and reset the valves this weekend.

Jimbo, my truck never even ran with that gasket. I was on the last tq sequence and then when I hit that one I thought a bolt got soft so I tried another then another and it just spun and that when the cussing began and the tools started flying.

I got lucky finding the HeliCoils, I guess there an odd thread that not many places stock, but my favorite local parts house came through like they always do when I need odd ball stuff.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:22 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by schamran
Yeah dude. I broke a bolt when torquing my head Saturday. Where do you get a head bolt on Saturday!? I took a 4.5 hour road trip to the twin cities to get one from my cousin, now I'm back in business. I did the whole 90* thing, then went back and torqued em all to 120. More? Less? Will be re-torquing on Friday. I have extra bolts too, but I don't wanna break another one for fear it doesn't come out as easy as the last one. lol
The torque plus angle method/procedure is only for use with NEW head bolts. That's why you broke one and got lucky with the rest. I bought all new bolts for mine last year when I went through the trouble. I checked with my torque wrench after and they're at least 125ft. lbs. I never went any higher on the torque wrench to see just what they're at.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 AM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did the torque plus angle method and it was 120 ft lbs on mine.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah with torque plus angle they were all different, so I went ahead and torqued them to 120. I guess when I re-torque I should torque them to 125. I did check the length of every bolt before installing. I didn't ring em though. But when I did throw the broken bolt across the shop it landed with a THUD! lol
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Hey Pullitillbroke - Good to hear you are back on the road. How many times have you had that head on and off before the threads in the block gave way?

If I ever have to take the head off of any of my rigs I'm going to stud it.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 PM

hey-Hey!!!,
Synchronous inserts are much better than heli-coils. For mag-cased Porsche 2.7 litre's they were the only way to go. They're a threaded bit of pipe, same pitch in and out and you tap the wrecked bit a fair bit bigger and thread in the insert with loctite.

http://www.timesert.com/html/faq.html

cheers,
Douglas
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Originally Posted by PapeCAT

If I ever have to take the head off of any of my rigs I'm going to stud it.
im thinking the same thing. studs are next on my "stuff i want but dont need" list.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not to pour salt in any wounds, but how did you pop it this time, Andrew?

I know it is not quite the same, but I have re-used Chevy small block gaskets in a simular situation.

Glad to hear you got it going.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Used a lot of heli-coils with good sucess. Timeserts seem to have an advantage for a frequently removed item- like sparkplugs holes. Used both with great success- Keen serts can be used in places, but their main advantage is they use a seperate standard tap(nothing expensive).
I thought the big problem with 2.7 porsches was ppl didn't have them tuned properly and they ran too hot and pulled the studs out. Built a 2.0 and a 2.7 liter once... think the 2.0 liter was aluminum case.

All this stuff is cheap if you buy it from a machinist supply company instead of an automotive store.
Interesting on the stretch bolts noting the actual torque. But, angle is actually produces a more constant force in the bolt. Remember there is about 30-35% variation in the bolt force using a torque wrench. Click types are 40-60% !! Bickford's book on bolt joints talks all about it.

Michael
Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM

PapeCAT, this is the 5th gasket i've put in and a lot of torques and retorques.

Curt, This gasket has been leaking since the middle of April I just now got around to fixing it.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM

Andew the ol dodge going to be up for the trip to Indiana in a few weeks,you need to put one of those old tractors in the back of the dodge and bring it to.

Quick Reply: Headbolt hole stripped