1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Head Gasket or Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on test

A Lisle combustion test was done on Sunday using the "purple" diesel specific fluid with the new radiator and other parts installed. I tried to get this done by a mechanic, but it would have taken another week before they could see the truck and cost more money. So instead a DIY kit was ordered and used for testing.

The test says to run the truck for 10 minutes, then an additional two minutes using a vacuum line bleeder to help pull the gases through the radiator and the testing fluid. The temperature gauge was only about a quarter hot, not in the middle when the test was done. There were bubbles coming through the testing kit from the radiator.

If the fluid changes color from purple to yellow or orange, that indicates a head gasket leak.

The results of the test were that the fluid stayed purple... To my relief. Seems that the mechanic was not honest and the problem of losing coolant was due to an issue with the radiator.

However, now after putting the hood back on. The closing latch is not engaging so the hood is not securely closed. Before removing the hood, lines were marked around the mounting mechanism. When replacing the hood the lines matched up well. So I can't figure out what changed.

Thanks for the help! It saved a lot of time and money. Now I can get back to work and have already moved my girlfriend.