1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Got the Fever

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink Got the Fever

Picked up my Autometer EGT gauge this afternoon from Advance Auto and can't decide where I want to put it. The window pods look OK but lots of guys including the rice rockets are doing that. I don't see a spot big enough in the dash unless you go way right of center where I probably won't read it. I might just have to start a row of gauges across the dash. With the seat hieght that I have I can afford to stack them pretty high without interfering with forward vision. Well anyway since I couldn't make up what little mind I have left I just went ahead and attacked the filter housing with a 6 inch hole saw and then put a rain coat over it. It sounds really neat and can't hurt either. After the EGT comes the exhaust. Why do I do this to myself?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How tall are you?

Unless you're at least six-foot-two, then don't use a dual pillar pod gauge mount... I did it, and being five-foot-ten I have to look up at the top gauge. (I have an Autometer pillar; somebody else's may be better...)

I like the looks of single-pods, and you sit high enough in these trucks that dash-mounted gauges don't get in the way.

Still, if I could do it again I'd figure out how to put two or three single-gauge pods on my pillar- not with a molded pillar, but just screw the cups onto the stock trim piece.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Where to put them.

Insturmentation has always been a issue with every thing I have owned. I am always inpressed by the cockpit on a 747.
I thing in general most drivers would not know a EGT from a EKG or the importantence of each. I have been thinking along the line of all of all of the vitals being in your face with the aid of a HUD or heads up display for those not into acronyms.
It would not be that hard to have all the information projected onto a screen in the drivers line of sight.
Lots of high end vehicles have them as do about every military jet.
I would pay $600.00 for one since you are getting all of the gauges that you would normally buy.
Jim
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?..._Concept&Cart=