1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag grumble

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getrag grumble

I searched and couldn't come up with a definite answer, or I just didn't search the right keywords, anyway my getrag started grumbling in 3rd and 5th gear, kind of like the low rpm grumble except all the time, well now it has turned into a squeaking noise like a bearing.

It was low on oil so I assume that's what caused it, my question is, I was looking at some rebuilt kits, and I know I won't know what it actually needs until I pull it and see, but it still shifts good and is quiet in all the other gears, so would one of the kits that just has all new bearings be all I need if it's just the typical getrag bearing fail. The trans was rebuilt about 20k ago and started leaking oil and apparently I didn't notice it in time. Just trying to get an idea of what I am in for.

Chris
Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front counter shaft bearing or input pocket bearing failure is common when they are run low. If it was rebuilt 20k ago you may be able to fix it with out getting a full bearing kit.
Even if it trashed the input and the two front bearings it would be less money than a bearing kit to just replace them if everything else looks good.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 PM

You would hope all the bearings and synchros got replaced during the 20k miles ago rebuild. That way if you just wish to replace what needs replacing, you can get away from buying a complete kit. The bearing kit only runs around $100. The bearings are available separately from a good bearing shop or from www.zbag.com. That's where I get my Getrag parts.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 AM

Yeah, everything was gone over it was a zumbrota reman, and it was my fualt for not checking it sooner or noticing the leak so I am hoping I caught it soon enough so it's somewhat simple.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:22 AM

Give me a call when you get it appart, I will help you out on the parts since it was one of our remans.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by kc8ksg
I searched and couldn't come up with a definite answer, or I just didn't search the right keywords, anyway my getrag started grumbling in 3rd and 5th gear, kind of like the low rpm grumble except all the time, well now it has turned into a squeaking noise like a bearing.

Chris
Respectfully,
Junk the 'rag.

Rebuilding a Getrag is tantamount to beating one's head against the wall.

The countershaft and countershaft bearings are riding lawnmower size, incapable of handling the torque thrown off onto it by even a stock 1st gen Cummins.

Conversion to a NV4500 can be accomplished for nearly the same cost as refurbishing the Getrag. Even if the conversion costs several hundred dollars more it is still well worth it because you won't be rebuilding the 'rag yet again next year.
Advance Adapters sells a bellhousing kit for about $350.

How do I know?
Was hard headed, refused to accept a design flawed countershaft in the Getrag.
Went through the expensive rebuilding process twice.
Third time the 'rag went in the scrap metal dumpster (was angry and impulsive, should have sold parts on eBay to recoup money needlessly expended in futile rebuilding attempts).
The NV4500 has been in for 3+ years and I don't even think about failure.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by zbag
Give me a call when you get it appart, I will help you out on the parts since it was one of our remans.
Will do, probably be a few weeks till it gets pulled, do you have and ext #?
Originally Posted by ghenges
Respectfully,
Junk the 'rag.

Rebuilding a Getrag is tantamount to beating one's head against the wall.

The countershaft and countershaft bearings are riding lawnmower size, incapable of handling the torque thrown off onto it by even a stock 1st gen Cummins.

Conversion to a NV4500 can be accomplished for nearly the same cost as refurbishing the Getrag. Even if the conversion costs several hundred dollars more it is still well worth it because you won't be rebuilding the 'rag yet again next year.
Advance Adapters sells a bellhousing kit for about $350.

How do I know?
Was hard headed, refused to accept a design flawed countershaft in the Getrag.
Went through the expensive rebuilding process twice.
Third time the 'rag went in the scrap metal dumpster (was angry and impulsive, should have sold parts on eBay to recoup money needlessly expended in futile rebuilding attempts).
The NV4500 has been in for 3+ years and I don't even think about failure.
Yea I hear ya and I really wish that I would have ditched the gutbag when it gave out the first time but I didn't and now the ol' girl is getting old and I don't really want to spend the money to do the swap right now since the truck itself isn't really worth it, so I kind of just want to band-aid the problem till I have some more money down the road and pull the motor and put it in something else that's in better shape.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
ghenges

How much larger are the NV4500 counter shaft bearings you speak of? The getrag doesn't fail often from the Cs bearings and since they're bathed in oil, they'd never starve unless the case is empty and at that point ANY trans would fail. I'd like to speak to the gentleman you paid to rebuild your trans and ask him a couple of questions, then we'll understand why your trans was failing. The NV4500 conversion would be more a lot common if the getrag was as bad as you make it out to be.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
You would hope all the bearings and synchros got replaced during the 20k miles ago rebuild. That way if you just wish to replace what needs replacing, you can get away from buying a complete kit. The bearing kit only runs around $100. The bearings are available separately from a good bearing shop or from www.zbag.com. That's where I get my Getrag parts.
lol Bill did you get your buddy from Zbag to join DTR?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
lol Bill did you get your buddy from Zbag to join DTR?
No, but I think it's pretty cool. I recommend Craig though from Zbag.

I too would like to see a nv4500 countershaft bearing... hmm maybe google..
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

I got a ZBAG NV4500 rebuild kit at home I'll snap some pics heck I think I still got a Rag cs bearing floatin around somwhere too
Old 02-09-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by pulltilbroke
I got a ZBAG NV4500 rebuild kit at home I'll snap some pics heck I think I still got a Rag cs bearing floatin around somwhere too
Hmm a comparison pic nice. Thanks Andrew!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
No, but I think it's pretty cool. I recommend Craig though from Zbag.

Yeah Craig hooked me up with that shifter stub he pictured on some other thread. It was a 1993 style with two bolts for the shifter stick rather than the threaded one. I bought a brand new factory bent 1993 shifter stick from dodge yesterday to go with ... Along with my new top cover off ebay that came out of a closed dealership stock I think the '72 crew will be shifting velvety smooth when I get around to the 5speed swap.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM

The dealership still sells that stick??? wow the 93 needs one so bad, and so does "1bad93" his is wasted

the rubber peice up in there gets all loosened up and it makes it extremely sloppy or sometimes will come off!!! what a horrible design
Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
The dealership still sells that stick??? wow the 93 needs one so bad, and so does "1bad93" his is wasted

the rubber peice up in there gets all loosened up and it makes it extremely sloppy or sometimes will come off!!! what a horrible design
Yes it does wear out . You can fab one without the isolator but it will make noise. It isn't a horrible design but wear and tear. There are still a handful of sticks out there for 1993 trucks. I have one more on order at 90 some odd bucks a piece (I believe 72 is cost) I wanted to buy a couple..

Quick Reply: Getrag grumble