1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

georends TC

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what transmission did you have? 727 or an OD trans
Old 12-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet100
I love it Lasertech...Money well spent. Just don't want these guys thinking all they have to do is throw one of these TQ converters in and think they just gained 100 lbs of torque! LOL. BUT THEY WILL LOVE IT !!
if your stock converter is slippin then yea it will add 100 ft lbs of torque on the dyno, because the stock converter is not "locking in" i guess you would say at full throttle becuase it is "slipping". archer93 has a first gen i saw on the dyno and have video and it made 300hp even and he has upgrade turbo, 5x15 injectors, pump maxxed out (fuel pin/timing and stuff), alot of work to it and he only made 525 lb of torque and its a 700 ft lb torque truck, because a similar truck that day with a 5 speed made 742 fl lb of torque with a little bit bigger injectors and the same turbo setup as archer93's truck.

so this tells you what? well it had to have something to do with the converter or tranny because with a 5 speed you dont have to worry about hat, torque converter converts your engine torque to the rear wheels by lockin it up at a certain engine rpm. If it slips then you wont get maximum torque to the rear wheels.

thats what i meant by adding 100 ft lbs of torque, ive seen alot of trucks dyno and i ride to school everyday in my dads 05 dodge with a goerend converter and a smarty programmer/exhaust/airbox and it feels like it doubled the seat of the pants torque over his stock converter.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm not being ignorant or anything Jet100 im just stating what ive seen and what ive felt in my seat oof the pants feeling when riding in trucks with sloppy converters,

i didnt mean like adding a coverter is like nitrous.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's exactly what i meant, actually i think i said that too....LOL

QUOTE=Jet100;2309480]Oh i like mine too, i think if your going from an old worn out Tq converter to a goerends you probably will notice 100 ft lbs more, but not going from a good one to Goerends. I did'nt do a kit in mine, don't like the hard shifts.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 PM

I know what you mean Crossy...I am a realist, i just don't want anyone to expect one thing and be dissapointed if it doesn't meet there expectations..
Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 PM

Yeah yeah im building a truck now too, a 91 chevy 1500 and i wasnt happy with the way my brand new 5 speed shifted when i got it back....
Old 12-10-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i think im just excited to finaly get my tc and trans done. i know i have more power to put down and i hate not being able too. and that i have a hx40 ready to put on! its been getting worse recently. if i floor it then take atleast a third of petal off it still accelerates the same. i hate it because im so loud but im moving slow
Old 12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
I'm not being ignorant or anything Jet100 im just stating what ive seen and what ive felt in my seat oof the pants feeling when riding in trucks with sloppy converters,

i didnt mean like adding a coverter is like nitrous.
it would be for my truck right now. you should drive in it now its horrible

i just hope it makes it though the winter.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:23 PM

You will Like it i'm sure. I now have NO problem getting out into traffic ! Empty OR LOADED !
Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM

That's probably the only draw back i can think of, driving in the snow...LOL
Real easy to spin the tires.... About the same thing that happened to my 3/4 ton Suburban when i pulled the 350 out and put in a HO 454...LOL
Old 12-11-2008, 05:02 AM
KRB

Received 500 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by NO_SPRK
sweet thanks guys. i dont see why a good TC wouldnt allow 100ft-lbs to get to the ground, maybe his was a lock up? i pretty much tow with my truck all the time so i want a tight one! will i be able to use a exhaust brake with a georends?
Keep us updated on your upgrade - like price, results, etc.

Is the '91 an OD?

And I'll ask your question again - Can you use an exhaust brake with a Georends? Or do you absolutely posatively have to have lock up to be utilized efficiently?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by NO_SPRK
yeah im not going to do a kit either. georends says the rear band tends to lock up when you do a shift kit, only happens in the 727... wierd. im just going to a basic rebuild, redrill for pump in park and some better clutches. can anyone tell me any trick stuff to do to my trans while its out being rebuilt? my trans guy says he uses borg warner clutches most of the time.
Though my truck is a second gen. I have Goerend single disk TC and VB in mine, good up to 400hp (Crank). Talked to dave and he said I wouldn't like the triple disk in my setup, very happy with the single disk. Then a Borg Warner trans rebuild at 176K miles. My trans guy does extreme trans for the guys doing headups drag racing, etc. Told me I can beat the snot of the borg warner stuff for 100K miles and still be fine. I like the borg warner stuff so far!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=Crossy's son;2309548] so this tells you what? well it had to have something to do with the converter or tranny because with a 5 speed you dont have to worry about hat, torque converter converts your engine torque to the rear wheels by lockin it up at a certain engine rpm. If it slips then you wont get maximum torque to the rear wheels.QUOTE]

You don'y have to worry about a TC in a 5spd, but if you have a slipping clutch then you won't make all of the potential power. 5spds aren't immune to power loss.