1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Gauges...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges...

While I'm not looking to win any races, I DO want to bump up the power for towing *within the limits of the "automagic" tranny*, and figure I'd better monitor everything BEFORE getting into a molten situation...

Looking for tips, info, likes/dislikes regarding gauges...

Coming from the 7.3L camp, everyone was ga-ga over the Dipricol stuff.... others like ISSpro or Autometer. I'd like a set that most closely matches the OEM dash gauges (the dash mounted tach, factory/dealer install? looks the same)... I do NOT want some big white blinding gauges to look past while night driving, so I guess black faced w/ white numerals & sweeps? Since I already have the tach (and it appears to work fine as it won't rev past 2700... for now ), I'm thinking Pyro, Boost, and Tranny temp.

Any comment on the ranges? I'm not planning a sled puller, so I *think* a "std" 0*-1600* pyro will do. Will a "std" boost gauge (0-35psi) be fine for mild IP tweaking? (from what I've read, above 40# of boost is getting into the sketchy range for un O-ringed heads and not in the plans for this truck)

Not real hip on punching additional holes thru an otherwise virginal dash or cluttering the view with a dash pod... so I'm leaning towards a JCW A-pillar triple pod (saw a post that stated it was a good fit for the 1st gens).

Pros/cons of pillar mounting? Tips, tricks, & "secrets"?

Best places to gain fore/aft access thru the firewall? I figure there's either a spare grommet hole or decent location (read: easiest to access & drill)?

Your favorite vendor(s)?... Possibly passing on a few discount sheckles to the DTR loyal?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently bought autometer guages from summit. I had to return two of them because they were defective for different reasons. I called Summit and they immediately went about getting them picked up. When the guy came to pick mine up (the second time because I hadn't packed them right) he dropped off the replacements at the same time. I was very impressed with the speed. I was looking into other manufacturers but I bought autometer because I know that I can get any guage I want in the same series down the road. I am not real impressed with the night visibility of the ultralite guages but the whole dash doesn't light up that great so I don't think it's the guages. I bought the 0-60psi boost because down the road I plan to use most of that guage. Even for mild bombing projects it's easy to exceed the 30psi.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:48 PM
JMT

I just put in my Isspro gauges this weekend and they are working great. I picked up a pyro / boost and dual guage gizmo from genos garage for 199.95 shipped. Ive heard if you do a tripe pillar pod you need to be very tall to see the top one and I can see why, I have mine set as low as possible and the top gauge is eye height.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:36 PM

I Have an Autometer Tach and a Isspro Pyro and I like the Isspro better, better lighting, better smoothness with gauage movement..

quick pic I took, the other thing is XM radio

Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 PM

Thanks Ken...

JMT, I sent you a PM!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:13 PM

I have Autometer pyro, boost and tach and I'm fairly happy with all of them. I still have to get the tach properly grounded since its moves like a 5 year old on a sugar high at times.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the AutoMeter UltraLite II guages, as they have better backlighting for night driving:

Unfortunately, a couple of specific guages are only available in the standard UltraLite, so I retrofit a bi-pin halogen bulb into the bayonet socket and use a resistor to lower the current enough so the socket doesn't melt and send wisps of smoke floating between the dial and the glass ( )
Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 AM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Wow! That's a serious looking setup, and clean!
Can you enumerate your gauges for us?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 PM

I've been staring at too many gauges - think I'm seeing double!

I have boost, pre & post EGT (post no longer used), LP fuel pressure, rail pressure, oil temp, oil pressure, tranny temp, rear differential temp, pre-CAC boost, intake manifold air temp, water/meth injection pressure, pre-CAC air temp, LineLoc brake pressure... still have to get the drive pressure boost gauge mounted, and probably will end up with a NO2 pressure gauge at some point.

Glad you like them!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
I've been staring at too many gauges - think I'm seeing double!

I have boost, pre & post EGT (post no longer used), LP fuel pressure, rail pressure, oil temp, oil pressure, tranny temp, rear differential temp, pre-CAC boost, intake manifold air temp, water/meth injection pressure, pre-CAC air temp, LineLoc brake pressure... still have to get the drive pressure boost gauge mounted, and probably will end up with a NO2 pressure gauge at some point.

Glad you like them!
Thanks! Dude, that's like 300# of wire!
It would be cool to have live datapoint caprute to a computer for analysis!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 PM

That is a lot of copper - no wonder I can't get below GVWR!

I had 3 guys watching gauges at the last dyno, and it still wasn't enough... next time I'm going to videotape the cockpit during the runs so I can document on playback.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:58 PM

Nice setup, but that one looks like it is mounted on the wiper arm at that view. ha ha Wiper fluid pressure?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by SUPRDUD
Nice setup, but that one looks like it is mounted on the wiper arm at that view. ha ha Wiper fluid pressure?
Don't give me any ideas!

You guys are a bad influence on me...

I'm too cheap to buy an expensive isolator or electrical fuel pressure gauge, so I made a bracket to mount it between the wipers, hood and washer jets... everything clears with an inch to spare!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:48 PM

Location: Gresham OR during the summer and La Grande OR for school
I put in the silver autometer ultralite series, pyrometer 100-1600*, boost 0-35*, and trans temp 250*, and so far they all work great and light up well at night, I really like my set up, with the dual auto meter pod with a single autometer pod on top... so it makes a triple pillar, if you trim the edges a little they all fit and look great. if you get the off brand dual single pod then it will be hard to read the top gauge. The autometer single pod has a good arch to it that makes it real nice for visibility.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jones250
I really like my set up, with the dual auto meter pod with a single autometer pod on top... so it makes a triple pillar, if you trim the edges a little they all fit and look great. if you get the off brand dual single pod then it will be hard to read the top gauge. The autometer single pod has a good arch to it that makes it real nice for visibility.
Care to post a pic or elaborate on the this? I can picture the single on top of the double, but not sure what this gains me over the triple... other 2 different mounts to secure instead of 1...

Quick Reply: Gauges...