1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Garrett Ball Bearing Turbo Results

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm bigger I win! LOL
Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOOT4BRAINS
This is the thread I found. I would say at 575 it was pretty hot and stressing that turbo pretty hard to do that. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...highlight=3788......................
That's the same guy I'm talking about............17% correction and using water meth puts him right at 500 on fuel.

Very misleading when others are trying to gather information and make an informed decision.

I like your setup for sure and you say the off idle smoke is down.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
When you say "surging" do you mean when you let off the foot feed too fast? If so that can be corrected with an HK blowoff valve.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By surge I mean compressor surging under load. Turbo pushing too much air before the motor can use it. As for barking when you get off the gas too hard, the s300 did it but the Garrett does it worse. It barks pretty bad when shifting quick. I am looking into a E.D. drive pressure referenced blow off valve. Heard some good stuff about it.

17% correction????? Holy crap!! What kind of conditions could you dyno under to warrant 17% correction factor????? That is the kind of stuff that makes choosing parts and doing research hard to do. So if I can get 450-500 out of it I'll be happy. I may need a bit more fuel or I kinda like the idea of water/meth and really make sure I burn ALL the fuel I put in. Off idle smoke is down a bit from the s300 but it wasn't too bad to begin with because of the tuning. I really just need to get back on the rollers. Seat of the pants is not a very good gauge.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Here in Colorado a lot of dyno days are done at a import race shop called PFI in Fort Collins, elevation of about 4500 feet.
They always have the correction factor on which is made for naturally aspirated engines. With temp in the 50s-60s it is usually 15%; I've been there when it is 80 degrees and it runs up to 21%..........crazy eh?

Everbody wants to dyno there, and usually walk out the door with a big smile on their face.
Very few know its not accurate but 95% of them don't have a clue......flat out ignorant are others then go home and plaster it all over the forums.

In fact IIRC, his actual uncorrected fuel only number was 490 hp.

I have dynoed "565" there a couple of times.....................does that count?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

That seems like an awful lot of correction. How much difference does the high altitude make on a turbocharged diesel? Ive had mine up to 7-8K feet before (towing) and I could tell but I don't think I was down 20% on power. I'd love to see what your truck would do at a lower altitude at the track. 13.31 at 5800 feet is impressive.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
i read KTA (Bryan) said 1% per 1000' of elevation on a turbo diesel.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Technically I think it is 1.2%. Forgot where I read that.
With a small turbo, I think it would make less difference; with a big laggy turbo it could be around that number.

Let me put it to you this way; I dynoed 445 here in Denver (5300'), went to Pahrump for TDRs May Madness (2600') and made 472, went to Salt Lake City to Weekend on the Edge (4500') and made 455 hp. All numbers on fuel and uncorrected. This was over a time span of about 4-5 months without messing with anything else. That comes to around 8 hp per thousand feet in my case.

When I ran 13.34, I had 3 runs within a tenth that day and it was 92*.
I was running a 64/65/14, Banks intercooler, low pressure piston lift pump, Dana 70 and a turned up basically stock pump with 6 hole DDP "stage IV" injectors. I dynoed at Salt Lake a month later and made 405 hp on fuel and 455 with water meth.
Those were the days.
More power yet slower stinks!!!!

I really like that turbo you got there.
Has Tom said what would be a good match for a primary in twins by chance?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

That's some good info on the altitude vs. power GLHS. Tom and I discussed twins to great length and the 4202 would be a great primary for twins with this turbo as a secondary for a great fast spooling combo up to about 700hp. I really want to do twin garretts and put the 14mm pump back on and go nuts with this project but I'm trying to save up for a house.

Now for the bad news. I got turbo surge the other night....... Not horrible but at 20-30 psi down in the lower 2k rpm range it will surge a bit. This would be right in the power range I would tow with but I never really planned on hooking up a trailer again. This should help encourage me to get a ported head to help flow the extra air that it can't currently use. I knew this was a risk going into this so its not a huge issue but you can rule it out on a stock motor (no cam or head) or if you tow. Now a 3782R won't surge and would be an excellent fast spooling turbo for towing. Live and learn. We can't find out if we don't try. My cam helps with this but its not enough. A ported head should clear this up and hopefully help temps and power a bit too. I will try to keep you all posted with all the info I can.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 PM

If/when you get a ported head, be sure it is a good one.

Surging would really stink in the mountains I suppose.

Now that I drive the truck 3,000+ miles a month I get to see how it reacts at all kinds of elevation.

This past trip, I decided to see how soon I could hit XX amount of boost going up hills pulling the trailer.

Managed to hit 45 psi by 1800 rpm at 7-8000 feet pulling in 5th quite a few times. So much torque it feels/sounds like somethings got to give.
Turbo does a pretty hard whoosh/flutter when I let off but never a loud bark.

When will Garrett make the 3788 series into a GTX?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
I hope you are not doing that with a Getrag. It will explode pulling up a hill in 5th under boost. Trust me, I know
Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

No word yet on a 37 frame gtx wheel. It seems really easy to hit big power and big boost at or around 2000 rpm now. The torque is just crazy down there. The vibrations can't be good for the 'rag bearings but the power is there. I haven't yet decided what head to go with. Maybe a PDR head or Brezezinski (I think thats how its spelled????) is supposed to do a decent job but you gotta get an aftermarket zz fab intake. Talked with Hamilton cams about their new head but its really not going to benefit me because those heads are really centered around high rpm flow and I plan on making power down low. Know of any other good ported heads? Not a whole lot of cost effective options out there it would seem.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 PM

I am leaning toward a ZZ head.

From what I have seen and read, seems to flow way more than the others mentioned.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:58 AM

ZZ fab does good head work and Greg is about as pleasant of a guy to deal with as I have ever met. I just got the email that my new head is done and it's time to pay the piper. Flow numbers were good and I am looking forward to getting the 6.7 finished and stuck in my first gen.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

Now a 3782R won't surge and would be an excellent fast spooling turbo for towing. Live and learn. We can't find out if we don't try.
That's the exact turbo that I've been wanting to try! Do you think this would be able to support 400 - 450 hp? Do you have any thoughts of trying it?

PM me approximate pricing if you can...

Thanks, Eric

Quick Reply: Garrett Ball Bearing Turbo Results