1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel System Upgrade

After evaluating various fuel system upgrade options (because the stock lift pump doesn't suck enough ) including Wanna's Walbro setup and whatnot, here's what I finally came up with:

The main thing this does for me is pull/push plenty of fuel from the auxiliary tank in cold weather. Itt's also a good backup for if/when that piston pump ever wears out. (it's going on today). The stock pump just couldn't do it. It's not intended for feeding a monster motor, although after upgrading the stock tank feed line, I think it might do that pretty well too. That'll be the last step if and when I run into an air leak or sender issue in that part of the system, necessitating a tank drop. Not gonna do that just drill another hole for a neww feed line in it, though. I'll find some way to replace the stock hard line with 3/8 stainless seamless.

The engine feed pumps (piston pump and an Edelbrock 160GPH 12psi vane pump) are basically set up in parallel, with a one-way check valve on the Edelbrock output. Everything else should be pretty much self-explanatory.

Tell me what you think!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

Why not bypass the stock filter? I think that limits flow as much as anything else.

I take it that the Holley pump attached to your auxillary tank nozzel is for pumping out only? You couldn't pump fuel into your tank the way it is now, unless maybe you pumped it into your stock tank. Oooo, if those are three-way selector valves you could use the pump to transfer to and from either tank. I like that idea... You should reposition the pump so that you can use it to transfer fuel from one tank into the other while at rest.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Ace
Banned

It'll do that, just take the fuel cap off put the nozzle in the tank and turn on the pump. I actually do that to empty the last 5 gallons or so out of the aux tank so as not to get air in the lines or run it out on the road somewhere. That's only necessary when I need to get kerosene for the heaters. Then it's back to #2.

I don't think bypassing the filter would be a very good idea. I just finished installing the piston pump, and oh what a difference some decent fuel pressure makes! It only pulls down to about 7 psi at full throttle now. That might be all the pump I really need for the time being. I'll be ready to fill up the aux tank in a couple days and it will be interesting to see how the pressure holds through both filters running on aux with the piston pump doing the work. The stock pump didn't work too well that way when it got real cold.