1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel pin grinding, AKA Old smokey fuel pin

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pin grinding, AKA Old smokey fuel pin

Ok, this has come up quite a bit lately so I thought I would do a write up on where/how do I locate/grind/install my fuel pin?

1)Ok, looking at the Injection Pump (IP) you will see a cover attached with 4 screws, and a small circular cap in the center (smoke screw adjustment is under that small cap) and on the rear of the pump is a boost pressure line.

2)Start by removing the boost PSI line, there r 2 copper washers so be careful not to loose these!

3)Now remove the 4 screws, pull the top off.

4)You will see a rubber diaphram, this is the fuel pin, using your tool of choice, make a mark on both the housing and top of the pin so that you can return it to its setting if you choose, now just pull it out.

5)On the fuel pin you will notice some things, 1 is a "trail" from where the fuel rack has been riding on the pin. The other thing you will notice are the pin has a deep, and shallow side, in stock form the shallow side will be facing toward the front of the truck.

6)Now you can either reinstall the fuel pin with the deep side facing toward the front of the truck, or make the "old smokey fuel pin."

7)Should you deside to grind the pin, just find a dremel tool or what ever you want to use, this is hardened steel so dont be afraid here, just keep a good smooth "ramp" and take it right down to whatever depth you desire, personally, just grind it down so at the neck its about 1/16 of an inch thick, this will give you the most horse power gain.
You will also need to get into the neck as far as possible, so as to keep the fuel rack from defueling when the pin is at full travel.

(With the pin removed you will see a star wheel, this is another adjustment you can make.)

8)Now reinstall your pin with the nice new cut you just made facing the front of the truck, inserting it into the tension spring and nylon washer.

9)Reinstall the cover with the 4 screws, and put the boost line back on, your done!

After about a week or so of driving with this, pull the pin and observe the "trail" the fuel rack leaves on the pin, this will tell you if you may need to do more fine grinding on the pin.

Disclaimer: You are responsible for following this procedure, I tried the best I could to be as detailed as possible. Good luck and have fun. The whole process takes about an hour, and you WILL increase Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) (your adding more fuel to the fire obviously)

For other 2 adjustments mentioned, please refer to this link, (remember the suggest increments for adjustment on these r VERY conservative)
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

Here r some links that may be of interest:
Wannadiesel's pin:

This is Bully Dog's pin:
http://www.bullydog.com/images/Fuel_pin_old_old.jpg
Bully Dog dyno charts show 40HP and 110ft.lbs:
http://www.bullydog.com/42190_dyno.php
Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Hey ya'll go, figured id try my spot at fame here n go for a "Sticky award" cause I noticed we dont have a write up on this.

What do ya'll think?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never done the fuel pin grinding but the way you describe it even I could do something like that! Looks like a "sticky" thread to me!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:38 PM

Stick in there the bully dog price of $175 and homemade price of $0, and youre in. Youve got my vote for sure. Great Job!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks guys its much appreciated. Im hoping to dig up some pictures to go with it too. Greg has one but contridicts my grinding down the neck to keep from defueling at full travel deal. Unfortunatly I never was able to get one of mine, the batteries died in the camera when i ground mine down.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:56 PM

WOOHOO! Its a sticky article! I knew id be famous.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 AM

I would like to seem some pics of others home grinding before I do mine...especially the details of grinding the neck to prevent defueling.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 AM

I will see what I can dig up today for you today. We do need some pictures to go with this.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 AM

Here we go:
Old 06-07-2007, 08:53 AM

So looking at the picture above, the grinding is mainly on the lower portion with nothing on the upper. What is the purpose of limiting the grinding to the lower portion and creating the notch like seen in the pic??
Old 06-07-2007, 09:36 AM

Folks generaly grind it in their own "special way" you dont need to stick to any one way, its totally at your discretion. I personally ground mine keeping with the "ramp up" like stock. Generally, instead of fueling, and fueling hard at a given point in the travel, it comes on in a steady flow. Much like stock, but allowing the fuel rack to travel further before riding on the pin. The pin shown is a rather aggressive curve, so to speak. I will link to another picture, this is of Wannadiesel's pin, show as cut before he got it. U do not need to cut the pin like the one dave has, im just using it as a visual aid to show how his pin has a much less agressive curve.
Im going to make a post requesting pictures of cut pins, as there r only 3 I can find, and all 3 are different style cuts.
I'll come back in a moment n edit this to include some more pictures.
this is Wannadiesel's pin:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&ppuser=21682
This is Bully Dog's pin:
http://www.bullydog.com/detailimage....in_old_old.jpg
Bully dog dyno charts show 40HP and 110ft.lbs:
http://www.bullydog.com/42190_dyno.php
Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Awesome pics, so it appear wanna diesel pin is similar to the Bully Dog pin but with out the deep groove in the mid pin. Is the purpose of the groove to get the fuel input to a certain level and then hold it there for max power, as to prevent defueling at higher rpm??
Old 06-07-2007, 10:00 AM

Not really. After looking at the dyno charts I may change to a slight curve like Bully Dog's pin. I like how it smoothed out the power band. Each person cuts it differently for differing opinions. I do see lots of room for improvement on bully dogs, but have heard its a rather soft metal. Id bet theres more power to be had if some one were to cut into a bully dog pin. Id like to see a PDR pin and dyno chart.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I was re-reading the tech articles and come to this one, I still don't really get it but when I click on the pics they don't show up anymore, anyone have any idea why?

Thank You.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the PDR pin is worth 20HP, the Bully Dog claims 40HP, but PDR dynoed them and they said there is no difference between theirs and the Bully Dog, Now the PDR pin is hardened, the Bully Dog isnt. Another thing is that the Bully Dog is 175$, and the PDR is 175$ but you get 100$ back when you send in your stock pin as a core, so its only 75$

Quick Reply: Fuel pin grinding, AKA Old smokey fuel pin