1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel gelled again!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Location: North Haven,CT "Living in occupied teritory" & Barton,VT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel gelled again!!

I came back from a 23mile drive last night around 11:30 and not a problem. Went out this morning around 9am and it started, ran for 10sec and shut down. My fuel light came on when I was coming down my road so I know I was low. I have had this truck in northern VT with -35* temps and I never had a problem. Now this year I'm in southern CT and she gelled twice on me with warmer temps, nothing below 0*. This truck NEVER gelled on me. Sorry for the rant. So, is it the new fuel, something I'm doing, or do I need to replace something? Also is anyone else having this problem?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Get some Power Service in there
Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Put 5 gallons of kerosene in it and go back to Vermont where your truck obviously knows you should be.
Add Power Service Diesel 911 when it starts doin' that stuff.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM

I filled the fuel filter with 911 to get it started and poured the rest in the tank. Filled the tank and added 8oz of Power Service. Its the thought of the added cost of the additive, on top of the soaring fuel prices, and the fact it never did this before that's galling me. I just thought it would be something simple like a worn part that could be modified, changed or replaced.
Crobar: You are probably right, this truck spent its first 15yrs up there. If I could find the job I have down here up there I would be back in an instant!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 PM

The cost for everything is high in Norther NY
and of course the pay is low but that is the price we pay for living in paradise.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You may have a lift pump going soft or a plugged screen in the tank. Anything thats week or partially plugged will show worse symtoms when fuel gets colder.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 PM

That's what I was hoping to hear. I just got in my fuel pressure gauge and when I find a place to mount it and get and idea of the stock pressures I'm putting in the 2nd gen lift pump, Mallory Regulator, and the 7x010 injectors. I am thinking about doing that larger fuel line mod also.
Originally Posted by Richie O
You may have a lift pump going soft or a plugged screen in the tank. Anything thats week or partially plugged will show worse symtoms when fuel gets colder.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Might want to see if the fuel heater is working correctly. I had the same issues with mine til I replaced it.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 PM

How do I test it? I would assume some sort of ohms or continuity between the two wires.
Originally Posted by pulltilbroke
Might want to see if the fuel heater is working correctly. I had the same issues with mine til I replaced it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

I did a continuity test on mine.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 AM

x2 on the fuel heater.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 PM

I feel your PAIN! I too gellled up this morning around 4:30 on my way out of the neighborhood where I live and made it about 3/8 of a mile from house. It was cold here yesterday and last night below zero around -10. I had filled on Sunday and poured in a double dose of Howe's just to make sure as the forecast called for more cold this week. The place I filled from just happens to the same place that I filled from the last time I gelled back in January. I think their winter blend must straight #2. I have used another places' winter blend for a couple of years and NEVER had a problem. Guess that is what I get for being lazy gong the convenient place and not the one the won't screw me. Anyway another round of change the filter and bleed injectors. Hope you get it going and have no troubles.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Richie O
I second this. . . mine was doing this stuff a couple years ago . .It had a weak lift pump & plugged filter in the tank.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Not to be s stick in the mud..... sometimes its just a simple case of bad fuel or a little moisture got in . It does happen from time to time
Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
May not be getting winter feul down there. Also when you drive down the road wind will increase the cold on the feul lines. I live in Alaska and when I went to the big line kit, when I did I went down to Lowes and picked up that pipe foam for insulating pipes and wrapped that around the feul line come from the tank all the way up to the injection pump to keep direct wind from hitting the feul lines. Also waiting till the tank gets low on feul can cause condensation in the tank and when that happens water is in the fuel and will gel. The heater is part of the fuel filter and if water is in the fuel and its cold enough it will gel before it hits the feul filter and it doesn't take much gelled fuel to plug a feul filter.

Quick Reply: Fuel gelled again!!