1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front 1" leveling springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front 1" leveling springs

Good morning everyone, first and foremost, Happy Holidays and God Bless yall your loved ones!!

I am currently looking for new front leaf springs to replace the original, im assuming, 26 year old springs my truck currently has. They have a negative arch to them. I can barely fit my hand between them and the bump stop. I am looking to get the skyjacker 1inch leveling d100cs springs. My question is, is anyone running them and how tall are they in the front. I like the stance my truck has right now and wouldnt like it to change due to taller springs (thats why im going with one inch instead of the 2 inch d200cs). Current measurements from the ground up along the middle of the wheel to the fender lip is 37 1/8" up front and 38 5/8" in the rear. Please excuse the long post, but i am looking for yalls recomendations on this. My main concern is not wanting the rear sag.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:50 AM

I forgot to post that my truck is a 1990 w250
Old 12-23-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I have 1 ton rear spring packs I break down, and add a used longer leaf to compensate sag, if you decide to do this, when you have them apart you need to replace the center bolts, theres usually enough u-bolt thread to add up to a couple if necessary. im a fan of the 4" kits, very reasonably priced, and look awesome, I you really want new, say the word, ill get a resource near you, where ever that might that be??
Old 12-24-2016, 04:27 PM

Bump anyone
Old 12-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The old worn out stock leaf springs on my 1992 W250 rode extremely harsh, and I replaced them with the exact ones you're looking at--the 1" Skyjackers. It still had a very slight nose down attitude, but the ride was sooooo much better!

It was one of the best things I ever did to that truck.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Midnite
The old worn out stock leaf springs on my 1992 W250 rode extremely harsh, and I replaced them with the exact ones you're looking at--the 1" Skyjackers. It still had a very slight nose down attitude, but the ride was sooooo much better!

It was one of the best things I ever did to that truck.

Do you happen to know how much lift you got after replacing the old springs? Do u know how far apart the new spring sat from the bump stop? Thanks for your replay bud.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you don't get enough of a lift from new springs, try these. Cheap and easy 1". They are not like a block either, they are like an overload leaf cut down so it doesn't affect the ride.

DIY 4x :: Suspension :: EZ Inch Kit
Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by BILTIT
If you don't get enough of a lift from new springs, try these. Cheap and easy 1". They are not like a block either, they are like an overload leaf cut down so it doesn't affect the ride.

Thank you BILTIT for that idea, i had never seen that before. I will soon be ordering those springs, i just wanted to have other peoples opinions over this matter. This is my first 1st gen and have never done a leaf spring swap. Reading other posts over this topic provides plenty of information to tackle such task. Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:39 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I run the skyjacker 2" springs in the front with a 1" longer shackle, so theoretically, 2.5" of lift. It sits dead level. I got about 2" of lift after 2 years of driving on them. They ride great with a good heavy shock, skyjacker m95 monotubes is what I run and recommend.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:37 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts

I don't see how they are like an overload instead of a block? They don't look long enough to spread the force with other springs. Just looks like a spacer which creates leverage no?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:48 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
I don't see how they are like an overload instead of a block? They don't look long enough to spread the force with other springs. Just looks like a spacer which creates leverage no?
You're not alone in your thoughts...
Old 12-30-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I have actually used these on a K5 Blazer in the past. I have mixed feelings on them. I didn't notice any difference in ride. They were a little longer than the actual spring perch on the d60 I put under it. (Chevy version of our front axle)
I went with them as they bolt to the leaf pack via the center pin which they supply a longer one.

If you go this route I would suggest trying to find a higher strength/quality center pin to use instead of the ones that come with the kit. As I had the unfortunate experience of shearing off the center pin the first time I took the blazer out wheeling which resulted in catastrophic damage to the transfer case as the axle slid back and pushed the driveline back into it.

So so with my experience I throw my hat in the ring with the "could create leverage" crowd.