Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Flame thrower exhaust. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/flame-thrower-exhaust-258286/)

JustRamIt91 11-30-2009 04:27 PM

Flame thrower exhaust.

After talking to the diesel mechanic today, i am un-able to think of a different name for this.

Tell me what you think about this idea.(won't actually try this)
Propane injection just before the turbo.
The theory seems to be good. (Like the NOS effect on cars, but for diesels) Increasing heat before the turbo to make it spool faster and create more boost and launch you forward like a rocket.
Negative effects might be a burnt turbo, too much boost and could have explosive results.
Cool side effect could be a flame shooting from your exhaust.

I assume this would be for drag race purposes only. Unable to find anything on this.

He also showed me a smoked turbo out of an international 454 after one of the drivers turned up the injection pump(wish i had pictures), this thing was melted. It also needed new pistons, sleeves and bearings. I drove the truck back to the yard and it felt better than new.[coffee]

BC847 11-30-2009 05:48 PM

Video your results and let us know how that works out.

1985cucv 11-30-2009 07:24 PM

yeah sounds like a 100 horsepower sticker. go for it i want to see some destruction. just dont try it on a cummins it would be a waste try it on some other diesel

Riflemanusmc 11-30-2009 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1985cucv (Post 2641546)
yeah sounds like a 100 horsepower sticker. go for it i want to see some destruction. just dont try it on a cummins it would be a waste try it on some other diesel

Yea....Don't do it....QUOTE from my early USMC training days. When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend....

JustRamIt91 11-30-2009 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by JustRamIt91 (Post 2641369)
....(won't actually try this)...

Just let me reiterate this....im not actually going to do this.

madhat 11-30-2009 08:29 PM

What are you trying to accomplish here? Faster spool or flames out of the pipe? Or sending the compressor wheel to the moon?

JustRamIt91 11-30-2009 08:31 PM

i honestly don't know, im just curious as to what may or may not happen. This will not be done on anything i own.

madhat 11-30-2009 08:38 PM

Well, I know this guy that has sprayed nitrous down his intake a couple of times on the dyno... nothing bad happened. The same effect would happen if I, er, HE... would have had it plumbed in the normal way.

Riflemanusmc 11-30-2009 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by JustRamIt91 (Post 2641639)
i honestly don't know, im just curious as to what may or may not happen. This will not be done on anything i own.

I'm out...[eyecrazy]

Riflemanusmc 11-30-2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by madhat (Post 2641649)
Well, I know this guy that has sprayed nitrous down his intake a couple of times on the dyno... nothing bad happened. The same effect would happen if I, er, HE... would have had it plumbed in the normal way.

Yea Brother. You've got alot of room for dishing it out...[duhhh]

madhat 11-30-2009 08:52 PM

I'm not dishing it out... I'm trying to figure out what he wants so he can tear it up the right way...

JustRamIt91 11-30-2009 09:07 PM

Ok now im going to have to find a **** truck from work to do this on.... i'll mill around the yard tomorrow and see what i can or what i can't find really. How about a 7.3 or 6.5? are their turbos/exhaust manifolds easy to get to? I think you would just want a momentairy blast and set a hobbs switch, normally closed to open at 40lbs or what ever you feel your limit to be, this would then eliminate turbo lag and let you rock and roll. Does that sound good? They have a few "junk trucks" i could probably hook a system up to using a bottle, regulator, solenoid, hobbs switch and some sort of delivery system to turbo.

madhat 11-30-2009 09:14 PM

Nah, you don't want to deliver it to the turbo, you want it pre intercooler, or post turbo on a non IC truck. The exhaust gasses coming out of the motor are what make the turbo spool faster, not what is going into it. (kinda)

I do not know what kind of reaction that propane will have, tho. I don't fool with that at all, so I am not sure what to tell you. I personally would not spray propane into a truck. Not even a ford...

JustRamIt91 11-30-2009 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is sorta what i had in mind... for the flame thrower idea... kinda would need a spray jet or injector so it would mist and exhaust gases would ignite it.
Attachment 71143

ttcfan4476 11-30-2009 09:23 PM

you never know it might be the next big thing some has to try stuff to see if it works or we wont have any thing to do. just like doin twins some one had a lot of time invested to get them to work.