1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

F150 v6 or CTD 1st gen - help!

Old 06-26-2005, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 v6 or CTD 1st gen - help!

It's getting near the time I will have to make up my mind and buy my next truck. I am here so that I can get some GOOD advice concerning my dilemma. Here's the deal. My budget will be about $8000. I have found a real nice (I think) '92 CTD D250 / LE / Xcab / 5spd. I think I can get it for under $6000 - that will leave me with a couple thousand to take care of the "etceteras" (like leveling the front, ball joints, tune up, etc). OR I can get about a 10-year-newer Ford F150 v6 Xcab w/ "4"-doors. I am only considering the Ford because it's newer, gets decent MPGs, will tow if I need to. Right now I don't need to tow much of anything, but with the Dodge there are no worries if I do. So - considering the fact that I don't really need the Diesel, what kind of advice can you guys offer? THANKS!
Old 06-26-2005, 09:58 PM

I think in your case it is more of what do you actually want cause it sounds like you want the CTD. I dont need one either neither does my dad or about 12 of my friends, but it is just a matter of good reliabilty all the power you want when you want it and great fuel mileage.

I think in the CTD you get the best of both worlds with the mileage and the power.

On the other hand the newness is nice if you like the luxery better then the ford would be your best bet.

My dad had a 96 chevy 2wheel drive v6 5speed that he loved and it was all he needed. Got great fuel mileage drove great.

He just traded it off for a 97 CTD QC 5speed 4x4 that i cant seem to get him out of. He is getting about 20 MPG and that is with the plate slid and stock exhaust and air filter.

I think it is just a matter of personal opinion more than anything i would say the CTD would be the way just because you got great MPG plenty of power and towing will never be a problem if need to be. I am sure yuou will get different opinions that is just mine.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:24 PM

i have a 92 d250 le x-cab... (auto) and i love it. keep in mind the CTD can be VERY addicting. personally i'd pick the CTD any day of the week.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:33 PM

Yeah, I owned a '92 CTD LE Xcab and it was a frickin' MONSTER. I have to admit, I do love the luxury, but the Dodge is just so darn ugly-pretty, know what I mean? The Ford looks cool, but I can only imagine bumping into something with it. I've had other people back into my D250 and hurt their car! I guess it's just the thought of having to do all the "ball joint-lift pump-coil spring" stuff again. I guess driving 500 miles to pick one up is only 1 days work, huh? Oh well - keep up the PEP talk - you guys are the reason I am leaning towards the Dodge!
Old 06-26-2005, 10:38 PM

the sound of a straight piped cummins.

NUFF SAID
Old 06-27-2005, 12:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
why would you want a f150? the first gen is 2x the truck and can you get the ponnies out of them
Old 06-27-2005, 01:34 AM

OK, I own 2 1992 Dodge Cummins. I use to work for Ford and I like Ford trucks.
When you say tow, does that mean you are towing 2 ATVs or a gooseneck that weighs 10,000LBS.
There is nothing wrong with the Ford you are looking at. If you drive it 90% of the time empty. If your towing isnt heavy than buy the Ford.
If you are going to pull some serious weight, than buy the Dodge. That Cummins is one serious engine and is capable of some serious work.
If you are over 9,000 LBs the cummins will start to shine, the heavier you go the more you will like the Cummins.
I like Fords, But I have 2 1992 Dodge 1 ton Cummins. They are good trucks. The cummins is the best engine made for a pick-up truck yet.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:46 AM

diesel over gas any day. never plan on going back
Old 06-27-2005, 10:16 AM

Ouchman,

First off,I'll never own another gas truck again ever...period.

And...I'll second the motion for a straight-piped Cummins...

That V6 power (or lackof) will come back to haunt you at some point,and kicking yourself is neither easy or enjoyable.

Granted the "Dorf" is a decent truck,but I can't say that the seats in my CC LE are any less comfy...
BUT...I will say that they sit off the floor a considerable amount more.

The "Dorf" seats sit close to the floor (almost like a sports car)..on a long trip I found that truck to be very uncomfortable...on the same trip (about a thousand miles) I was WAY more comfortable in my old Dodge.

So,everything said...it's NOT *way* more comfortable than an old Dodge...so you can take that out of the mix...

Newer is cool,and bells and whistles are fun...but the only way your gonna' throw smoke is with mosquito fogger in the bed. :laugh:

Go with the CTD (and a nice dinner with some of the money you save)...you'll never regret it.

Vinny
Old 06-27-2005, 10:46 AM

I second the never own a gasser again motion. I used to drive my dads truck or his old one i should say and i kept it floored 24/7 . I just cant get used to no power. Once you have it your doomed there aint no going back. I like to be able to pass someone with out having a 9 mile straight stretch. I think with a good ol'e CTD in the driveway you'll sleep better.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:50 PM

Like thats an option!
Old 06-27-2005, 05:03 PM

PAYBACK VALUE....

The CTD maybe older but you'll still retain the payback value upon sale.
Try doing that with a USED F150 gasser........
Old 06-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

HEY go for the best of both worlds....

Buy your self a Ford body that you like and drop in a CUMMINS.

Who cares about resale value, you will never want to sell it.

That's what I did and wouldn't swap it for a new Dodge OR Ford !

Old 06-27-2005, 07:42 PM

its all up to you if you plan to put big tires and lift that ford the v6 is too week for that if you plan to keep it stock then that ford aint too bad it gets about 20mpgs like a cummins just put in more info on wat you want to do with your truck weel help you more

but just remember if you get a Fix Or Repair Daily OR Found On Road Dead youll just get smoke by a DODGE

Having a newer truck also has its good points
Old 06-27-2005, 10:34 PM

i have drove the v6 before and they dont really have much behind them they are kinda turds. the cummins will prolly get a little better milage and the cummins is just an all around GREAT truck much better i think. and i dont really need a diesel either but i like it and its fun to have

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 v6 or CTD 1st gen - help!