1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Extra fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extra fuel filter?

Guys i have a fuel filter setup off of a ford powerstroke that was on the 6.2 i had. could i run this inline with the original on the cummins or is it not needed? also on another note where would i get an inline fuel filter for 3/8ths line and what is the size of the return line on these trucks? i believei have 3/8ths but i think it is more like 5/16ths if i am not mistaken
Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
By "inline fuel filter", do you mean a simple clamped in the line filter ??

As for the extra housing, yes, you can route the fuel through both filters.

I would ascertain the micron rating for both filters and plumb the finer filter downstream of whichever is the coarser.

Factory original fuel draw-line should be 5/16 and return-line should be 1/4.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes an in the line type filter throw away like you would run on a dirt bike someone swears by them on here. I have a barbed fitting 7.3 liter filter set up that has a brand new 40 dollar filter. i just dont want it to go to waste but i suppose i could just run the stock one as that has been suffiecent thus far.

As for the fuel line i now remember just sliding the 3/8ths line on the return and double clamping it. that is way oversized but i havent had any problems with it yet. which is weird. should i switch them both to the proper size? i have 3/8ths all around and no problems

I was going to get new hydraulic hose and take the nipple out of the lift pump but i dont know what sizes i would need for that. I believe it is 1/4 male npt for the barbed fitting but on my chevy there is a "fuel block" i guess you could call it that has the hard line from the tank running to it. It has 2 plugs on it that are probably 1/8npt male. ill have to take a look as i was planning on upgrading my lines but at the time funding is unavailable.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I run an inline cheapie filter just ahead of my piston-lift-pump on account of the pump having an impossible-to-access screen that WILL stop up and shut down the engine in the most inopportune places.

I like the clear plastic versions, as I can see just what is going on in them.

I ordered sight unseen a dozen of what I thought were gonna be clear plastic ones and, when they came, they were solid metal case ; so, be careful when buying and see what you get before you buy.