1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Diamond Eye Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:59 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
So, yesterday, I coated my frame with goo, and installed my new DE system.

THey make a great system, but I thought it needed some tweaking.

The second pipe from front to back, the one just behind the downpipe, is the tricky one that goes though the frame crossrail. It's a PITA to get lined up, for even the best of us.. and I don't consider myself the best.

So I figured out that if I added 4.5" to the front of pipe #A220101, it would move the bends a little rearward, and clear that crossmember a little better. It worked.

It also made clamping that pipe to the next pipe in line #A125005 easier as well, because now the juncture isn't directly over the transfer case shield support bracket.

I had to then cut off 4.5" of that pipe A125005, at the back end of it, because it moved the muffler too far rearwards. I used galvanized steel band clamps at each juncture, so that I can disassemble at any time should the need be. Those guillotine clamps are a nightmare to disassemble because they crush the two pipes together, and don't want to give up the bear.

All worked out well, and the truck sounds AWESOME with the new muffler on it. No more loud, and a very nice rumble to the straight through muffler.

Today I get to finish the spraying of the rest of the frame with goo, as I didn't want to cover the new system once I got it in there,
The white dusting is the phosphoric acid treatment I did the other day.

The following users liked this post:
66fora69er (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Do you put anything over the phosphoric acid treatment?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by archer2
Do you put anything over the phosphoric acid treatment?
In the past, I've washed it down, primed and painted. I've even bought that $180 gallon cold galvanizing paint with 90% zinc. That failed too. Our caustic state run snow sprayers are winning the battle here.

THis year, it's too cold to paint, and it hasn't lasted in the past, so I guess I'll be trying Oliver's goo method.

Mixture of diesel and Chainsaw bar oil, brushed on, or sprayed on. So far, brushing the chain oil gives the heaviest coat, and we'll see what happens next
Old 12-06-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, the rust war seems like a series of impossible battles. I figured you'd like the muffler option, I like mine.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
In the past, I've washed it down, primed and painted. I've even bought that $180 gallon cold galvanizing paint with 90% zinc. That failed too. Our caustic state run snow sprayers are winning the battle here.

THis year, it's too cold to paint, and it hasn't lasted in the past, so I guess I'll be trying Oliver's goo method.

Mixture of diesel and Chainsaw bar oil, brushed on, or sprayed on. So far, brushing the chain oil gives the heaviest coat, and we'll see what happens next

I don't shoot for the heaviest coat as it doesn't penetrate the metal and cracks / crevices as well. Heat up the bar and chain oil in a bucket of hot water and thin down with diesel oil until it sprays out the Schultz gun easily.
Then spray it in the door panels, rockers, over the fenders, all over the frame, axles [keep it off the brakes!] and any other place that has bare metal.

Wear a mask, goggles and use lots of card box on the ground to catch the drips.

I do it once a year at least on anything I drive year around.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
NJTman (12-06-2018), nonrev (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:58 PM

Boy that sucked monkey *****...

Spray it one way, it comes back in your face. Spray it another way, it comes back in your face. 50/50 mix worked great.

All the nooks and crannies were done with the sprayer. I used a spray 9 bottle, and filled it, to do all the flat exterior surfaces that were vertical, or easily reached. Still sucked monkey *****.

Oh well. Once the drips stop, I'll clean up that cardboard, I'm good for the season.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Boy that sucked monkey *****...

Spray it one way, it comes back in your face. Spray it another way, it comes back in your face. 50/50 mix worked great.

All the nooks and crannies were done with the sprayer. I used a spray 9 bottle, and filled it, to do all the flat exterior surfaces that were vertical, or easily reached. Still sucked monkey *****.

Oh well. Once the drips stop, I'll clean up that cardboard, I'm good for the season.
Fun times spraying anything underneath because you are underneath whatever you're spraying. I recommend Dawn dishwashing soap. It works great on my hands. Dawn takes grease out of your way!

Edwin