1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

DD111+'s installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DD111+'s installed

OK, thought I would share this. I have had several types of injectors in my truck looking for that magic type that will give me power with no smoke at idle and good fuel milage. The last type was a set of Lucas POD's. <br> Lenny, at Dynamite Diesel Performance in Monroe, Washington and I talked for quite a while about this issue. While the POD's gave good power, they smoked like a train. He told me about Diesel Dynamic injectors. So I told myself, self, give em a try. So I did.<br> What they are is DD111+'s. What they do is give me lots of power with NO smoke at idle. A smoother idle. Smoother exceleration. quicker throttle response.<br> Here is the before and after numbers.<br> PODs:245hp<br> DD111+'s:275.8hp<br> No changes other than the injectors and the test was on the same dyno.<br> My pump is not maxed out but I have ported/polished the intake elbow, turbo housings, exhaust manifold, intercooler. plus I have the timing turned way up. A 3 1/2 straight pipe and a modified air box. A PDR turbo. The engine, trans, transfer case, and both axels have treated with Uniglide FRC.<br> I am very impressed with these injectors. The improvement is dramatic. I guess one can have his cake and eat it too!<br><br> Dave
Old 03-28-2003, 08:17 AM

Re:DD111+'s installed

Cool, Dave, I thought DD3's were a 2nd gen-only injector. Good news and awesome results. 8) Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dave<br>Good to hear! I have been looking around for a set that could do just what you've said. I will dyno in Merdian ID on 4/12 to see where I am at now then I think I might try a new set of injectors. If you don't mind what did the set cost you - were they matched?<br><br>Bob
Old 03-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you would have to re-tool the top of the injector to fit our injector line nut size. At least that is what you had to do to run the Diamond 370's on our rigs. Also the Pop pressure may be too high (above 250 Bar). Non the less this would be a great alternative for us. I am surprised that the top thread is the same. I hope you can confirm this....

This is the main reason I don't want the POD's. The idle haze and plumes of smoke don't really excite me. I was afraid I was gonna stay the Lil' Dog and go with the PW's instead.

From DD the stage 3 run for about $700 and the stealths for $800. They are a fair amount more than the POD's.

J-eh
Old 03-28-2003, 12:32 PM

To answer the questions, they are spendy. I did some special work for Lenny so they did not cost me that much. One would need to call Lenny to find out the price.<br> But what they do is use the Bosch body and modify it to work in our motors. And yes, they are matched. They are a 5 hole tip. <br> Started it this morning and it went right to normal idle speed with no shake and no smoke.<br> Like I said before, I am a very happy camper.<br> I won't know about milage until I run up to help Piers move this weekend. Then I will have an idea on how they do in that area.<br> <br> Dave
Old 03-28-2003, 03:46 PM

Awesome, Dave! ;D Good to hear that you found a better alternative. Lots of power too! For the price of those bad boys, I will be keeping my honed POD's for a while. They are going on the &quot;wish list&quot; though.<br><br>Mike<br>
Old 03-28-2003, 04:20 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I find this very interesting/exciting, and a prime time to expose my ignorance: What are the differences between our injectors and the gen 2 injectors as far as physical mounting goes? <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Alec
Old 03-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats great news HDM. While I have heard of similiar complaints of the PODs smoking at idle, I have no idle smoke with mine. But, she sure lets er roll when you get on it.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Muted User

Who did you say to contact? And how? I dont like smoke.<br> -Jim-
Old 03-29-2003, 11:32 PM

Just got back from Piers today. Pulling the trailer I only used 1/8th more fuel than I use making the trip emty. Cool! <br> Also, Piers found something I didn't spot. I'm not getting full throttle due to the linkage hitting a fuel line. Well now, gonna fix that and then I'll find out what I really have.<br> Pulling the trailer up Bow Hill (north of Mnt. Vernon) the EGTs only got up to 900 degrees. With the PODs it was 1050 with out trailer. Another COOL!<br> Ratchet,, Lenny's number is 866-774-3966<br> Excuse me while I go get full throttle.<br> <br> Dave
Old 04-06-2003, 10:13 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

The injectors sound great! Can you post some more EGT #'s (like off of the dyno at WOT) as you get them? Also, can you post the pop off pressure on them -- if it is lower than the POD's that you were running, that would explain some of the performance, and the lower EGT's.<br><br>Lastly, after having looked in the book, do I understand correctly that they build these up with their own nozzles attached to the Bosch gen 1 bodies?<br><br>Gotta see my boss about a raise . . .<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Alec
Old 04-06-2003, 10:49 PM

As far as using bosch bodys, yes. Pop off pressure, I didn't ask. Guess I should. WFO egt's are at about 1050 pulling the steepest hill I can find. Problem is, It's gaining speed so fast I don't think I'm getting a true reading. Cavalero hill at the east end of the US2 trestle is a 11 persent grade. Pretty steep. At the bottom I am doing 25 mph. At the top I'm doing 75 mph and still pulling hard. It's a quarter mile from bottom to top. That's if I start at the true bottom. The main road starts at the middle.<br><br> dave
Old 04-08-2003, 09:11 PM

Why is it that black trucks make high horse power ???, I hope this does'nt mean I'll be bringing up the rear, driving through all the smoke :'(
Old 04-09-2003, 02:05 AM

Withers, just remember,,,<br><br> Black is beautiful, Black is phat, Black is where it's at!!<br> UH HUH, uh huh! <br><br> Dave
Old 04-09-2003, 03:26 PM

Dave,<br>Black is good, but white is better. :P Its actually quite simple. Ya ever seen one of those glass bulb things, with the black and white fins in the center attached to a hub that rides on a pin? When you put it in the sun the black absorbs the energy, and the white reflects it, causing it to spin. A white rig blowing black smoke will clearly go faster than a solid black rig. <br><br>Mike<br>

Quick Reply: DD111+'s installed