1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

callin 1st gen sled pullers, need some advice. im pullin in ID

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
callin 1st gen sled pullers, need some advice. im pullin in ID

word on the street is that there's a sled pull here in a few weeks on the 19th in Idaho falls. and since its the closest one to us i plan on joining in the fun and see if i break anything

I have never sled pulled before so what are some good tips?
I DONT have a DD clutch, just a very grabby ceramic (16)button Valair, stock getrag and 3.54 gears. i plan on building a set of ladder bars for the front and rear

my guess is that 2nd Lo, slip the clutch till tires spin 1 turn then fully release. mash the loud brake, then at the end of the run push the clutch in before letting of the throttle??

i plan on trailering it down with the 01 so if i do break anything i can get back home....plus it'll look legit
Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Yep there is one there on the 19th. sweet man, i might be there too, but not sure If I''ll be pullin though cuz i don't have some stuff done to my truck that i want to have done when i pull, but i may dyno. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm gonna give a pull a try this year and see what it does. I'm also curious about tips and stuff. subscribed
Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 PM

i kinda figured you'd be there seeing as u live in Idaho lol at least you're alot closer than i am, Idaho Falls is about 2 hours or a lil more away from my part of MT haha. Theres a dyno saturday in Missoula which is about an hour or hour and a half from here. If i dont have to go to laurel to pick up the cab for the 01 ill be on the rollers saturday mornin.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

What kind of a class are you gonna pull in?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 PM

im not sure, idk what class id fall under/into. ive only seen pullin on youtube, including your vids. Im a total greenhorn to this stuff. There really isnt any sled pulling on Montana, that i know of or i woulda started long ago
Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM

Are you gonna run suspension blocks or hang weights out front?

What kind of soil is out that way?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 PM

smokin blacky could probably answer the soil question. i dont live there and our soil is different, last time i was down that way its kinda deserty. Blocks as in factory riser blocks? yes i am and no, i cant hang weight. no place to put it (yet) so street stock or street mod i guess?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:27 PM

I meant suspension stops so your truck don't squat.
Like these.
Name:  deansswap014.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  113.3 KB

I will tell you that with a std cab 1stgen with a flat bed and no hanging weight your front end will become very light and put a crap load of stress on the D70, if its a sandier type soil you won't have to worry as much. Another thing you could do is drop an inch or two of hitch hight max is 26" on a 4x4

Your clutch should be up to the task. Heck I'm only runnin a single disk, but it is a full ceramic, solid hub, button disc.
Here is my clutch
Name:  clutch001.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  117.7 KB

Watch my vids and study how I come out of the hole, it seems to work for me coming out softly. This year I might come out a little harder though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pulltilbroke

When you build bars just remember the longer the better if its a bar setup like mine. You will want your hitch as far forward as you can get it or as far forward as the rules will allow. Mine is move about a foot forward of the factory location.
Name:  deansswap018.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  170.9 KB
Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey andrew, do you happen to know how long the traction bars need to be on these truck so they dont bind?(on the street is the main cause for concern)

i seem to think it was posted around somewhere but id never be able to find it.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM

I am not 100% sure but a lot of it has to do with the angle of the bar. Mine are 6ft long, I dont know if mine bind or not cause my springs are so stiff. But when the truck is loaded it rides fine.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 PM

I live about 2 hours away from Idaho Falls too, except south. The pull is at a place called Sandy downs I think... so I'm guessin its sandy... never been there though so don't quote me, the last pull I went to was 2 years ago in Blackfoot which isn't too far away from Idaho falls. That time it was a really soft track. But yeah I think the soil should be kinda sandy but I know they have a lot of gravel near that river too so i don't know for sure.

I believe United is doin that pull. Go to Unitedpullers.net to get the rules and stuff. I think you'll be probably wanna pull in the work stock class. Thats what class I was lookin into. I don't have the beans to pull in the other classes But I don't think they'll let you run hanging weights in that class and I think you have to have a shock travel of at least 1" if i remember right.

Hey Andrew, do you block your suspension and clamp your leaf springs too? I wanna see a pic how you clamped your leaf springs if you have one. I think I know what your meanin but want to see where you clamped yours exactly cuz I'm not sure how I want to clamp mine with the overload spring.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pulltilbroke
I am not 100% sure but a lot of it has to do with the angle of the bar. Mine are 6ft long, I dont know if mine bind or not cause my springs are so stiff. But when the truck is loaded it rides fine.
yeah the angle im sure is the bigger factor but probably less people go by it that way because were poo' white trash (or i am anyway) and dont have an angle finder.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 PM

Did you notice where my truck is sitting in that pic above, right smack dab in the middle of the trailer park. I'm poor white trash too.

When I first built my bars I didn't have the lift and the angle was a lot better.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 AM

The talk has always been to match the rear driveline angle and the angle of the bars as a basic starting point. Of course, when you make the big power, the bars get longer and longer to try and keep the truck from pushing up in the middle.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 PM

thanks for the info guys! i really appreciate it! I am not runnin those "anti squat" blocks but ill have to build some, also the axlewrap/traction bars. smokinblacky, thanks for the site for rules and regs.

I know more weight equals more traction BUT i thought also having more weight would increase the stress on the D70 out back?

EDIT: wow.....theres alot in work stock that i have to look at. it says i can have weights, i just cant hang them. so probably like a crap ton of sand bags held down with ratchet straps on the flatbed im guessin
http://unitedpullers.net/rules.aspx#WorkStock

Quick Reply: callin 1st gen sled pullers, need some advice. im pullin in ID