1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A/C pressure out of control

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A/C pressure out of control

I converted my 92 D250 to R134a a couple years ago. It got a new compressor, drier, condenser, and expansion valve to replace bad parts and fully upgrade.
Now, I can't seem to keep the high side pressures down.
Two weeks ago, the pressure would hit 400 and even 450 if I didn't shut it off in time. We suspected the fan clutch but changing it didn't help.

I performed a vacuum check on the system Saturday and it was fine. After shooting oil back in, I ran 2.4 lbs of 134 into the truck and the pressure stayed between 220 and 240 at idle.
The only changes were cleaning off the battery connections and unplugging/plugging the compressor relay (along with the other two, don't know which one it is).
Everything was fine afterwards.
I put about 75 miles on the truck and this evening, while sitting in a drive though, the compressor started growling like it was spiking the pressure. Turning off the A/C made it go away. A few minutes later, I turned it on again and everything was fine. I did not let it run when the truck was sitting still.

What could be causing the problem?
Anybody run into anything like this before?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A blockage at the expansion valve will make the hi side go really high... Seems like the compressor clutch cut-out switch back by the expansion valve, would disengage the clutch before the pressure gets too high... I have watched mine cycle and when that pressure gets about 300-350 the clutch disengages and everythings kinda settles out then the clutch re-engages and starts the cycle over. The switch that controls it is feeling the superheat from the evaporator.... if that switch ain't workin it ain't gonna cut-out the clutch on the compressor and the pressure is going to continue to climb... there is a relief valve on the compressor that is supposed to go at about 450psi...
Old 09-30-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the FSM makes it look like you've got to do surgery to replace the switch. It says there's a tube that inserts into the high side line to sense the pressure. How difficult is it to replace that switch?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:41 PM

Piece of cake... the hardest part is getting to the two little screws that hold the switch in place...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM

I did not read what you said in that last reply... I believe that tube inserts into the low pressure side after it leaves the evaporator...