1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Budget Crisis!!! Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Budget Crisis!!! Need some help.

Ok, I went to O'Reillys to get some u-joints and a pull cable for my truck. As I was leaving, I saw a 91-93 dodge 2wd dually setting there with a car on a trailer. 2 kids were jumping on the trailer. I ask them who owns the truck. They said their dad was in the store. So I go in there and he was just walking out. I ask him if he owned the dodge diesel out there. "Yep, you want to buy it?" he asked. I said, "Uh, how much?" $6,000. Has 350,000 mile + some change, brand new motor and auto-tranny 5k ago, and as he put it "I am a Chevy guy, but this dodge has treated me good."

There is no rust except where the rocker panels meet on the club cab extension. Very straight and nice paint job (red, white, red). Semi new tires and the dually "wings" are there and in 1 piece.

Can I talk him down you think? I have about a grand and he runs a Cash for Cars business. I have a F150 that I want to sell. Think I could talk him down to 4 grand as he says he paid 3600 for the tranny, but it had the motor replaced right before he bought it. He wants a Chevy.

I dont dare to take out a loan as the bank might not finance a 350,000 mile truck.

Jon
Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is a NEW motor, and 3.5K into the trans, It soounds like a reasonable offer to me, I waited for a couple of days to see one for sale, By the time i was able to look at it, It was sold, They go mighty quick!
But i hate rust, and for 6k, I'de go to texas and get a rust free bugger.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 PM

How extencive is the rust? I would try to talk him down to 5. 4K and youd be getting arrested for stealing it!
The average price for 1tons on auto trader is 7K accross the country. Thats a good price for one with a new trans and engine as it is, but understand trying to get an "old" dodge for less.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:37 PM

I paid 5k for mine and the bank had no problem financing 100% w/ 258,000 on the clock.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Another thing though that is bugging me. I have NO debt and I am trying real hard to keep it that way.

Cowboy, it is just starting to bubble through. the spot is about 6" across.

I don't think he will get that much as a LOT of people shy away from 350,000 mile vehicles. This is also a Ford country

Man! I wish I had a BIG bank account right now.

Jon

PS Cowboy? You looking for a truck?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned

There is a beautiful 1992-1993 D-250 LE in my area in almost mint condition with 104,000 thousand miles for 4,500 dollars. I sure wish I had a bigger bank account too.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:31 PM

PS Cowboy? You looking for a truck?
As a matter of fact I am looking for a 2wheel drive club cab dually. lol

I bit my tounge when ya mentioned it. I am acctually keeping my eye on 2 of them, but its just a touch outta my budget range though. Id love to get my hands on a rebuilt CTD like that though. we shall see, i'll have to give u a hollar when they let me outta here. (god i feel like a criminal when i say that, or someone asks, "when r u getting out?")
Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 PM

Well, I was thinkin' while I was on my way to church tonight. 2 reasons I will NOT get it.

1. I don't NEED another truck. I have one and I don't need another money pit Not really a bad thing until

2. I remember a cigarette butt on the floor of the truck :x I don't smoke so I won't get it. BUT he said he got the truck about 3-4 month ago.

I don't know if this guy smokes or one of his teenage kids. Man, what a little thinkin' does. If I had the money, I probably would have impulsed buy a stinky truck

Jon
Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 PM

Hey just noticed your Sig. I got a nice chuckle out of it. Not that it matters really, but what interior did it have? bucket or bench? was it an LE? I'll keep u in mind when I get ready to buy in about a month here. Im pretty well dead set on one already, but i dunno if hes still got it still, n its a long way from here. Like 3000 miles from here.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 PM

LE, Don't know if bucket orbench as the kids were climbing in and out of it and he was rarin to head outta there.

Can you say, ROAD TRIP? Like I need another one!

Jon
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 PM

I say wait for a better deal if you want another one Jon. Dont cheap out on the one that counts, the first one. But dont be afraid on the next. I shouldve got the 92 I looked at. Needed Getrag rebuild, 212k, 4wd, for $2k. STUPID STUPID STUPID!

Sorry, just thinking of what I missed out on. Just watch craigslist and local papers and even ebay for those trucks that just need some loving.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Wink Like Granny Used To Say

If wishes was horses,

then beggars could ride.

When a 1st Gen. Dodge/Cummins is for sale, someone will grab it up, regardless of however ridiculous the price may seem, in less than three days.

A five-speed won't set around that long.

They aren't making any more of them and everyone with a brain is hoarding them up.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 AM

don't let it jamb you up , i have left plenty of great deals on the table and some that turned out to be not so great deals . do not buy on impulse think about it . if its sold well i have found better deals i a few months.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 AM

I wish I had a bigger account as well I whould have bought another one
Old 06-07-2007, 12:44 PM

The way I justified passing on the 92 I checked out was put that 2k saved from the truck, into my current one. The end result....soon to be 5sp, intercooled, bigger turbo, and some other toys. Just think of what can be done to your current one for what you could buy another for.

Quick Reply: Budget Crisis!!! Need some help.