1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
brakes

I know this subject has been ongoing about these trucks. my 92 one ton has always had soft peddle on the brakes. countless master clyds. later , new drums , pads, etc, to no avail. this past weekend I again bled the brakes, adjusted rear brakes. all this did was raise the pedal feel. still soft brakes, and a slite fade at the lites. should I replace the vaccum booster? I am lost on this one. my 3/4 ton has none of the above issues.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by ***** wagon
I know this subject has been ongoing about these trucks. my 92 one ton has always had soft peddle on the brakes. countless master clyds. later , new drums , pads, etc, to no avail. this past weekend I again bled the brakes, adjusted rear brakes. all this did was raise the pedal feel. still soft brakes, and a slite fade at the lites. should I replace the vaccum booster? I am lost on this one. my 3/4 ton has none of the above issues.
A bad booster will cause a hard pedal. Have you tried a Bendix MC? They are head and shoulders better than any other option...Mark
Old 02-02-2015, 10:14 PM

maybe raybestos cant say fore sure about Bendix.?
Old 02-03-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Places like rockauto used to offer a new Bendix MC 11775 for like 42 bucks. The supply is almost dried up from what I'm seeing. I ordered one last week at 1 of 2 places I could find it and the order is delayed.
It looks like the only 2 options for a NEW MC is either Raybestos or AC Delco (edit- or Dorman)

EDIT #2- just got the Bendix MC 11775- its made in china now. States on package and its obvious on font on cover. Cover is also different than the one I got 3 years ago. Gonna send it back tomorrow and get something made in US. i don't mean to hijack but thought it was important enough to share
Old 02-03-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseybud
Places like rockauto used to offer a new Bendix MC 11775 for like 42 bucks. The supply is almost dried up from what I'm seeing. I ordered one last week at 1 of 2 places I could find it and the order is delayed.
It looks like the only 2 options for a NEW MC is either Raybestos or AC Delco (edit- or Dorman)

EDIT #2- just got the Bendix MC 11775- its made in china now. States on package and its obvious on font on cover. Cover is also different than the one I got 3 years ago. Gonna send it back tomorrow and get something made in US. i don't mean to hijack but thought it was important enough to share
I just put on a China Bendix last summer. Got 2 of them, and it was obvious there was a bit of rework on one of them. Went in and worked well, though. Doesn't leak at the cover either.

I've just about had it with whatever NAPA is selling these days. Got 2 boosters from them. Both failed within 1 day of install. They wouldn't warrant it after that, just gave me my money back.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j_martin

I've just about had it with whatever NAPA is selling these days. Got 2 boosters from them. Both failed within 1 day of install. They wouldn't warrant it after that, just gave me my money back.
I feel that was the right thing to do on NAPA. If they get a bad batch what can they do. give you anther bad part? NAPA still specs on how they have some of there parts made. Take NAPA & a oriley starter apart you can see the difference. But In the end it what the chinaman sends them and they send back to the chinaman

Nowadays NAPA is screwed with the Internet and and orileys selling cheap parts they cant sell Good quality parts like they us to. Most people dont want to spend the money on good parts all they care about is the lifetime warranty.

They can special order some parts, but most parts being made today are crap to even bother.

FWIW I only buy at NAPA Carquest and a few other NON oriley type stores, Cummins and the Dodge dealer and of course the wreaking yard, A ten year old master cly is better than the one the chinaman made today.

the few time Ive bought from the web I get P.P.P return and wait. shipping & restock charges.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I have the ***** bendix. No issues, and it works fine. No leaks. Is sure it will last almost 2 years like the othe bendix did

If ther is a USA made mc out there, make sure you post who, where, and part numbers with pix
Old 02-05-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I have the ***** bendix. No issues, and it works fine. No leaks. Is sure it will last almost 2 years like the othe bendix did

If ther is a USA made mc out there, make sure you post who, where, and part numbers with pix

Might give these guys a try. They rebuild boosters on site in Sacramento CA
They are custom rebuilding one for my dad. We were at their shop yesterday.

PBS Home
Old 03-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Just as an update- got a ACDELco MC today and its proudly made in China. I'll assume raybestos is too, since the rumor had it that they were supplying ACDelco
I take that to mean that no one in the US makes a new MC anymore
Old 03-07-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Somebody above mentioned that Dorman makes one. If that's the case, I'd look into that one. Have had good luck with Dorman stuff in the past.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:22 PM

brakes

yes its sad state of affairs and to make thing worse most parts people today are younger and don't rember good quality made parts. in their mind the stuff they sell is good.