1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bought 93 1Ton... problems & questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought 93 1Ton... problems & questions

I finally pulled the trigger an bought a 93 1Ton extended cab 5spd for $3500. 142,000 miles. One reason it was relatively cheap was that it has a problem. The speedo doesn't work. It does not have the power it should. I'm now trying to solve these problems.

At rest I can only rev the engine to about 2200rpms before it won't go any higher. Driving around it feels like it lacks power in general. In 2nd gear while moving it will rev to about 3100RPMS. In 5th on the freeway it won't go over 2100 rpms. I get no noticeable smoke in any gear while moving. At rest if I rev it a bit I can make some "dirty white" smoke.

I have been searching and reading here. I have a list of things to look at but I'm having trouble finding this stuff. pre-filter, shutoff solenoid, etc...

First question. Where the heck is the fuel heater w/ pre-filter screen? I see that thing down above the starter on the drivers side, but isn't that the lift pump? It has a little handle next to it. Is that the priming pump? I can't figure out where the pre-filter is on this thing. Has anyone got a picture showing where it is exactly?

Also... where is the shutoff solenoid? Is it on the IP itself?

Where is the "pumpkin"? I'm trying to locate the speed sensor and haven't a clue what the pumpkin is referring to.

I also suspect I need a new thermostat. This thing never warms up. Should the needle be halfway between cold and warm in normal running?

Can anyone recommend a good source for parts? I'm in the Portland, Oregon area. Are there any local parts counters that are good? What about an online parts dealer?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by simonp
I finally pulled the trigger an bought a 93 1Ton extended cab 5spd for $3500. 142,000 miles. One reason it was relatively cheap was that it has a problem. The speedo doesn't work. It does not have the power it should. I'm now trying to solve these problems.

At rest I can only rev the engine to about 2200rpms before it won't go any higher. Driving around it feels like it lacks power in general. In 2nd gear while moving it will rev to about 3100RPMS. In 5th on the freeway it won't go over 2100 rpms. I get no noticeable smoke in any gear while moving. At rest if I rev it a bit I can make some "dirty white" smoke.

I have been searching and reading here. I have a list of things to look at but I'm having trouble finding this stuff. pre-filter, shutoff solenoid, etc...

First question. Where the heck is the fuel heater w/ pre-filter screen? The fuel heater is on the bottom of the head intake side it sit's between the fuel filter and the block.
I see that thing down above the starter on the drivers side, but isn't that the lift pump? It has a little handle next to it. Is that the priming pump? This is the lift pump and the handle is what is used to prime the system. I can't figure out where the pre-filter is on this thing. Has anyone got a picture showing where it is exactly?

Also... where is the shutoff solenoid? Is it on the IP itself? Yes it's on the IP, if you look at the back of the IP by the fuel lines close to the block you should notice a one wire plug that is the shut down solenoid

Where is the "pumpkin"? I'm trying to locate the speed sensor and haven't a clue what the pumpkin is referring to. The "Pumpkin" is the rear, but what I believe you are looking for is on the side of the transmission it's called the VSS its what sends the signal for the speedo, I'm not 100% on how it operates but I'm sure someone will help you out.

I also suspect I need a new thermostat. This thing never warms up. Should the needle be halfway between cold and warm in normal running? Mine runs between the middle and the C

Can anyone recommend a good source for parts? I'm in the Portland, Oregon area. Are there any local parts counters that are good? What about an online parts dealer?
PS welcome to the site there is a bunch of great info here. Check out the "Sticky" at the top of the page there is a lot of great info in there.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 PM

I can't help with the problems you're having but I hope one of these links or info will help some!! www.genosgarage.com has the service manual for your truck for $99.00 I don't know if someone else has it cheaper. www.partstrain.com and www.rockauto.com seem to have some stuff for your yr truck (I only know this because my buddy drives a '93)
you might also FIRST try the tech pages at the top of DTR I believe that is where I downloaded the parts manual (with pictures!!) for '90-'93 I can e-mail that to you if you can't find it (just PM me your e-mail address) I also found Valley Wagon which sells the fuel solenoid (price has changed I think it was about 65.00 but worked great!!) one more thing in the link pages at the top of DTR helps too!!! Take care!!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally pulled the trigger an bought a 93 1Ton extended cab 5spd for $3500. 142,000 miles. One reason it was relatively cheap was that it has a problem. The speedo doesn't work. It does not have the power it should. I'm now trying to solve these problems. Thats really cheap! The speedo is a easy fix.

At rest I can only rev the engine to about 2200rpms before it won't go any higher. Driving around it feels like it lacks power in general. In 2nd gear while moving it will rev to about 3100RPMS. In 5th on the freeway it won't go over 2100 rpms. I get no noticeable smoke in any gear while moving. At rest if I rev it a bit I can make some "dirty white" smoke. I say injectors or at least change the fuel filter

First question. Where the heck is the fuel heater w/ pre-filter screen? I see that thing down above the starter on the drivers side, but isn't that the lift pump? It has a little handle next to it. Is that the priming pump? I can't figure out where the pre-filter is on this thing. Has anyone got a picture showing where it is exactly? Yep thats the lift pump, follow the line up to and sorta under the head and you will see the fuel filter. The heater is in where the fuel filter screws into.

Also... where is the shutoff solenoid? Is it on the IP itself? Yep, under the fuel line, has a wire to the KSB (tube like thing on the side of the pump) and a wire going into the wiring harness.

Where is the "pumpkin"? I'm trying to locate the speed sensor and haven't a clue what the pumpkin is referring to.The pumpkin is the big round thing on the axle, where the gears are. The VSS is there only if it is 2wd otherwise it is on the back of the trasnfer case.

I also suspect I need a new thermostat. This thing never warms up. Should the needle be halfway between cold and warm in normal running?Yea the needle is ok but no heat? Or does it take 10-30 miles to warm up?

Can anyone recommend a good source for parts? I'm in the Portland, Oregon area. Are there any local parts counters that are good? What about an online parts dealer?CaseIH and Cummins are your best bets.
I hope I answered somethings. Go to the top of the screen and click User CP and go to Signature and write what kind of truck it is (year, make, 4x4 or not, what type of tranny, etc.) so for future reference, we dont have to ask the same questions over and over.

Thanks!

Jon
Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 PM

check to see if you are getting full throttle travel. Have someone put the petal to the floor and look at the pump to see if the throttle is actually fully open. My truck gained a lot of acceleration after fixxing this little problem.

then read the sticky on how to turn up the pump and all the precautions so you dont hurt anything doing so.

welcome and have fun!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 PM

I say injectors or at least change the fuel filter
You think the nozzles are clogged? The fuel filter appears to be new. It's pretty clean and white. Does anyone here recommend running 'diesel purge' or some other cleaning stuff?

Yep thats the lift pump, follow the line up to and sorta under the head and you will see the fuel filter. The heater is in where the fuel filter screws into.
Does the 1st gen have a fuel heater at all (I read here that they didn't)? Is there a pre-screen on this truck? Is there a screen in the tank somewhere? I want to eliminate supply problems, blocked filters, etc before I start suspecting the IP. Is there an easy way to plumb a fitting for a fuel pressure sender? Is there an easy way to determine if the lift pump is working OK?

Yep, under the fuel line, has a wire to the KSB (tube like thing on the side of the pump) and a wire going into the wiring harness.
Thanks! Should I be able to see something move when I turn the key? The truck seems to take a few seconds to stop after I shut off the key. Is that normal?

Yea the needle is ok but no heat? Or does it take 10-30 miles to warm up?
The needs never gets much above the first tick mark after the C. It never gets to the middle of the temp gauge. If I run it on the freeway it'll climb to the first mark, but at idle it drops down again. I keep thinking it's a stuck open thermostat.

Thanks for the help! Yet another engine project... here we go.

--Chris
Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM

White smoke when giving it the pedal in neutral and gutless... in my case the pump was tired and not advancing with the RPM's
Fresh pump fixed it right up.
That was on my '92 so far the '93 is fine.

In my case I started with filter, lift pump checked pressure from lift pump etc.. Maybe you'll get lucky and that'll fix it but like I say the symptoms sound awfully familiar and the old timers tell me white smoke = lack of fuel black is a lack of air.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 PM

The fuel filter cleanliness on the outside means nothing if it has crap or flakes of gel in it.

Yes the fuel heater is in that piece. How to check it, I dont know. There should be a 3 prong female end connecting to the TOP of the filter housing. That is the heater plug.

No, the shutdown solenoid is in cased in the metal. All you see is 2 wires and a nut about the size of a 22mm, I think.

Does the engine buck and make the belt squeek? If so, yes that is normal but if it is stumbling, and then quits, no.

Stuck thermostat is what it seems now.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 PM

White smoke when giving it the pedal in neutral and gutless... in my case the pump was tired and not advancing with the RPM's
Fresh pump fixed it right up.
Yeah, this is my worst case scenario and I'm fine with it. The guy who sold it to me told me it was likely the IP and even recommended someone to do the rebuild. I mainly want to eliminate other possibilities before dropping $600-$800 on it. I may just take it in and have them diagnose it. I just fear that they'll recommend an IP rebuild no matter what.

Yes the fuel heater is in that piece. How to check it, I don't know. There should be a 3 prong female end connecting to the TOP of the filter housing. That is the heater plug.
Thanks for the clarification. I become confused about 1st gen vs 2nd gen and differences like these. I was hoping to find a clogged pre-filter as the cause of my power problem. I guess the 1st gens don't have this screen.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Ok, on a 93, the stock govenor and set up starts defueling at 2300 rpms, so that sounds about right...On a stock engine, you wont make much, if any,smoke without a load on the truck, they were set up at the factory NOT to smoke
If you follow the fuel line from the tank, you first come to the LIFT PUMP, resembles an old Chevy mechanical fuel pump and works about the same way.. then you follow the line to the fuel filter housing.. this is what the filter is screwed into.. the line goes into the block, fuel flows thru what looks like a flat plastic spacer above the filter, this is the FUEL HEATER.... it then flows into and thru the filter, and back into the block, then out to the INJECTION PUMP..
First question. Where the heck is the fuel heater w/ pre-filter screen? I see that thing down above the starter on the drivers side, but isn't that the lift pump? It has a little handle next to it. Is that the priming pump? I can't figure out where the pre-filter is on this thing. Has anyone got a picture showing where it is exactly?
Yes that handle is a priming pump, manually works the lift pump
Also... where is the shutoff solenoid? Is it on the IP itself?
It is located on the rear of the IP, right below where the 6 fuel lines come out. there is a threaded terminal with a dual spade fitting, this is the Fuel Shut OFF Soleniod, or FSO. One of those wires goes to the engine temp sensor, the other goes to teh KSB or Cold Start Soleniod located on the lower outboard side of the IP
Where is the "pumpkin"? I'm trying to locate the speed sensor and haven't a clue what the pumpkin is referring to.
The speed sensor or VSS is located on teh transmision, on teh drivers side of the tail shaft assy. IF you search this forum for VSS, you will find articles about testing, and replacing it, some have pictures.

I also suspect I need a new thermostat. This thing never warms up. Should the needle be halfway between cold and warm in normal running?
yes that is about normal.. and many of them swing an show drastic movement during operation...all three of my trucks have stayed between teh first two hash marks onteh guage 99% of the time.
Body or engine parts?
I woudl suggest you replace teh fuel filter, check your fluids and replace the air filter as well.
It sounds like its running about normal for a bone stock truck to me..
The fun part is mod's to make it just how you want it.....
Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I know there has been no mention of pump tampering, but does anyone think that the throttle shaft could have been indexed wrong by the PO?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:25 PM
alwaysonDTR

Originally Posted by MikeThomas
I know there has been no mention of pump tampering, but does anyone think that the throttle shaft could have been indexed wrong by the PO?
when i put my gsk in i did that and it felt like it did before the gsk and i had to raise the low idle to make it idle. indexed it to the right spot and man a lot of power.

but i would start with the fuel filter and make sure all the wires are connected to the pump. even though we have no computers to control it.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=simonp;2003337]Yeah, this is my worst case scenario and I'm fine with it. The guy who sold it to me told me it was likely the IP and even recommended someone to do the rebuild. I mainly want to eliminate other possibilities before dropping $600-$800 on it. I may just take it in and have them diagnose it. I just fear that they'll recommend an IP rebuild no matter what.

Quick test the local pump shop gave me is to loosen the pump and advance it all the way see if it is less gutless if not perhaps your problem(s) lie elsewhere.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned

For your gutlessness-
check for slack in the throttle linkage. The part that has the adjustable threaded ***** on each end. Loosen the jambnuts, and turn the center in or out to lengthen/ shorten the rod as needed. My 93 W250 had about 1/2" slack in it. Havent driven is since I adjusted it, but it should have a little more pep and high end revving ability.

Adjust valves. There is info in the sticky about this. Some adjust the valves a little tighter than the book calls for (there is an aceptable range, and the tighter spec is still within that range), I dont anymore. I've gained 3mpg by adjusting the valves.

VSS is on the transmission output housing, or the t-case output, as the case may be. There is a sensor on the pumpkin, but that is for the RWAL. Lots of debate on bypassing/ disabling this feature. Do what you wish with it.

FOr all your troubleshooting, start simple and work your way up. My mom had a speedo problem, and the wire was broken inside the insulation about 3" from the plug in. I stripped it down, moved the female end of the plug, and good speedo since then.

Change ALL fluids and filters, regardless of what the previous owner claimed. I'd also see how hot the heat is coming out of the vents. If it will burn your hand, I'd say bad sending unit. If it only gets to luke warm, bad t-stat. Both are very good possibilities. Flush your cooling system while you have it apart if you replace the t-stat.

Daniel
Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I just took it in for an alignment and 2 new front tires and received some bad news.

Needs a new center link, idler arm, and upper and lower ball joints. They don't want to align it without doing this stuff first.

~$800 just for the above items.

Plus the two new tires and 6 tire balance for ~$350

$1150 and I haven't even started dealing with the power issues that may require an IP rebuild. I beginning to wonder if buying this was a bad idea.

Crap!

Quick Reply: Bought 93 1Ton... problems & questions