1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone made a billet grille out of stock grille?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone made a billet grille out of stock grille?

Well i picked up another dodge grille the other day, I actually got it from crewcabxlt. I have my original grille on my truck right now with the grille inserts "shadow painted" red and i think it looks pretty good but I got an idea on making a billet grille out of this other grille i got. My buddy has an 80' chevy with a billet grille and i really like the look of it. I was thinkin of cuttin the middle out of this dodge grille, so all the grille inserts and the chrome pieces in the middle would be gone and it would just be open in the middle, but it would still have the sides, top and bottom, with just the middle gone, and then i was thinkin of gettin billet grille off an old chevy or somethin and gettin it to fit in the space that i cut out of the original grille. I think it would look pretty good if i got it all to work and fit right. It may make room for a bigger intercooler too! I will have to post a pic of what i'm tryin to do, but i was just wonderin if anyone else has done this or somethin sorta like it?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...Q5fAccessories

pricey, but looks good i think, and there the only billet grille insert ive seen for our model that ppl sell
Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Anything would have to look better than that big expanse of fake-chrome plastic.

The way Chrysler designed the front sheet-metal on these trucks, it sure doesn't make for easy improvements.

Were I you, I would find one of the really old actual metal front-end treatments, round lights and all, and cut the center from it, then build the "billet" portion to fit.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 PM

I'm talkin like a full billet grille, not just those billet grille inserts. I'll have to post a pic and show ya what i want to do.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
I'm talkin like a full billet grille, not just those billet grille inserts. I'll have to post a pic and show ya what i want to do.
I'd like to see pics.....
Old 08-26-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm trying my best in photoshop,

I know what you mean but i don't think it'll look good...

you wanna cut the "crosshairs" out and have a big open rectangle...then put a BIG peice of billet grille behind it. (or flush with the outside of the shell)
Old 08-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanna see, even though i bought the Mr.Grille inserts from ebay. I know most people put newer style grilles on older trucks, but I think you can buy kits to do exactly what you want to on an old style grille.